The Beer Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You can buy the 3.2% beer, but not the real thing. It works in a pinch
That really sucks, man. You should move to Texas. We only have it half wrong on Sundays.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That really sucks, man. You should move to Texas. We only have it half wrong on Sundays.
Any beer after 12:00 PM on Sunday, but no liquor at all on Sunday or past 9:00 PM Monday–Saturday. It isn't as restrictive as some states but it still seems lame to me. If I am going to a barbecue on a Sunday afternoon and I want to get a bottle of whisky to make cocktails to enjoy at the party why should I not be able to do that?

Cotton

Staff member
Any beer after 12:00 PM on Sunday, but no liquor at all on Sunday or past 9:00 PM Monday–Saturday. It isn't as restrictive as some states but it still seems lame to me. If I am going to a barbecue on a Sunday afternoon and I want to get a bottle of whisky to make cocktails to enjoy at the party why should I not be able to do that?
You should be able to.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You should be able to.
No doubt. Personally even as someone who drinks, though mostly just beer these days, the sales time laws very rarely affect me. That doesn't mean I agree with it though. Seems very antiquated.

Cotton

Staff member
No doubt. Personally even as someone who drinks, though mostly just beer these days, the sales time laws very rarely affect me. That doesn't mean I agree with it though. Seems very antiquated.
It doesn't really affect me much, either. But, there have been times I have had to delay going to the grocery store on Sundays because I wanted to buy beer while I was there and it was before noon. As you say, it is a really antiquated law.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Most states in the south have ABC stores...state controlled liquor, sold M-Sat, 10-9 only.

Kind of weird when you can go to the Rite Aid in California and buy a bottle of scotch at any time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Most states in the south have ABC stores...state controlled liquor, sold M-Sat, 10-9 only.

Kind of weird when you can go to the Rite Aid in California and buy a bottle of scotch at any time.
I've only seen the ABC stores in NC.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Lone Pint Yellow Rose IPA is very good if you live somewhere that they distribute. Lone Pint is from Magnolia, TX so I assume Houston is their main area of distribution. It is available here in Austin if you look for it and I'm assuming that is the case with other cities in Texas.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Or Wine, or liquor. 3.2 beer can be sold cold, but why would you want it? Another thing is liquor stores aren't allowed to sell anything but alchohol. No mixes. no ice, no glasses. Not even a bottle opener or a wine screw. For a state that hates government interferance and loves the free market there are some dumb ass laws here
No such thing as less government.

Just more of the government that the party in power favors.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Have not been drinking much lately, as I quit smoking 4 weeks ago.

Was worried about the urges, but laid into it pretty heavy Super Bowl Sunday and a smoke never even crossed my mind.

The High Lifes never tasted so crisp.

Kind of excited now to start trying new beers again so I can provide an in-depth taste analysis for each one.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
One of the first benefits of quitting smoking is that your taste buds recover.

And for any of you fucking idiots still smoking cigs like a fucking crack whore, kick the habit like mcnuttz here before you cause yourself and everyone that loves you a bunch of self inflicted misery.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Not that there's anything wrong with crack whores.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I kind of selfishly like that law because it gives my wife a guaranteed day off every week.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I've got a friend who moved here from Florida that was angry about not being able to buy beer before noon on Sunday. He was like, "why are they messin with my rights?!!" Easy there, friend...just wait till noon or plan a little better.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've got a friend who moved here from Florida that was angry about not being able to buy beer before noon on Sunday. He was like, "why are they messin with my rights?!!" Easy there, friend...just wait till noon or plan a little better.
Is he not aware that his rights are granted from government also. All rights are indeed a result o f government decree.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
And FINALLY got around to this. You guys mentioned this a couple of years back and just now found a place that had it. It was AWESOME aside from the price. I was honestly expecting it to be hoppier. Glad it wasn't.

120 Minute is really good. So high in alcohol though that it reminds me of a barleywine. Glad you got to try it since you've been on the lookout for a long time but $25 for a 9 oz pour?! Jesus. That is serious bullshit. When I get it in bottles they generally are about $10 or so for a 12 oz bottle. I get that a bar is going to charge more but that is going way over the top with the mark up.

Top Bottom