Archer: Stephen Jones - 'It's all coming together' for Cowboys

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can't afford a slow start this season.
They can afford that a hell of a lot better then a weak December. I'd prefer to win every game but beating you guys up before the season starts isn't wise either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last years defense did not have enough talent, and when faced with an insurmountable talent like Aaron Rodgers they weren't able to come all the way through, but by and large they played above their heads and got everything they could out of what they had. I can't say the same about the 2007 defense.
To be fair Aaron Rodgers is pretty unstoppable for the most part and our defense did a hell of a job at least slowing him down.

p1_

DCC 4Life
They can afford that a hell of a lot better then a weak December. I'd prefer to win every game but beating you guys up before the season starts isn't wise either.
And how many times have we seen the strong starts turn into the December swoon? Too many, I say. I'm all for a strong start, but I am now a firm believer in how a team finishes. The finish of a regular season as a prelude to playoffs gives me much more hope than a 7-1/6-2 start which ends in 9-7/8-8.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Do you think it's an either or situation? You seem to indicate if they get off to a fast start it is inevitable they will finish slow. If you start slow you are always trying to catch up. There is no basis for saying it is always either or. You can start fast and try to lock up the conference early then react as needed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think it's an either or situation? You seem to indicate if they get off to a fast start it is inevitable they will finish slow. If you start slow you are always trying to catch up. There is no basis for saying it is always either or. You can start fast and try to lock up the conference early then react as needed.
Sure, but you can also rest veterans and start fast. Last year was the first year that Romo really looked on fire late in the season. It coincided with the offseason where he got the least physical strain on his body and then threw the ball less then he previously had during the season. Do you think it's a coincidence his arm didn't fade down the stretch? Over working a veteran like that is pointless. I think there is something to be said about running a 30 something year old ragged during training camp and then them not having any legs left by the end of the season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure, but you can also rest veterans and start fast. Last year was the first year that Romo really looked on fire late in the season. It coincided with the offseason where he got the least physical strain on his body and then threw the ball less then he previously had during the season. Do you think it's a coincidence his arm didn't fade down the stretch? Over working a veteran like that is pointless. I think there is something to be said about running a 30 something year old ragged during training camp and then them not having any legs left by the end of the season.
The run ratio had a little something to do with Romo' s production at year end as well. Anyway, I prefer a fast start and give the team an edge until the defense gets shelled. You are entitled you own preference mix.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyway, I prefer a fast start and give the team an edge until the defense gets shelled. You are entitled you own preference mix.
Why do you think the defense will get shelled later in the season but not early? I guess I'm not really getting any of the logic behind your opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Past experience, most likely. Last year, for example.
We held the Colts to 7.

Skins to 17.

Lions to 20.

Our defense performed down the stretch better then it had all season. So that's just not a correct statement.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why do you think the defense will get shelled later in the season but not early? I guess I'm not really getting any of the logic behind your opinion.
Meant that as jelled. Kindle brain fart..

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meant that as jelled. Kindle brain fart..
Ok, that makes way more sense. Basically as guys like Hardy and McClain get off suspensions the defense should be getting better.

The only guy I'd be careful with over working is Romo. We have seen in the past that his arm looks basically dead by the end of the season. It didn't last year and I think that's because he was on a pretty strict pitch count during training camp and the regular season. Let Weeden and the other scrubs throws a bunch. I'd probably be careful with Sean Lee as well. Only because the man is glass and ready to break at any moment. The less you expose him the more likely it is he makes it to the regular season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ok, that makes way more sense. Basically as guys like Hardy and McClain get off suspensions the defense should be getting better.

The only guy I'd be careful with over working is Romo. We have seen in the past that his arm looks basically dead by the end of the season. It didn't last year and I think that's because he was on a pretty strict pitch count during training camp and the regular season. Let Weeden and the other scrubs throws a bunch. I'd probably be careful with Sean Lee as well. Only because the man is glass and ready to break at any moment. The less you expose him the more likely it is he makes it to the regular season.
I have no problem with Romo having a moderate TC and preseason. I just don't want Garrett to soft pedal the rest of the offense because he is trying to protect too many starters. If they are not ready on the offensive side and the defense is still getting used to some new players and waiting on others it could blow up on the team. The offense is the best bet for a successful start so I hope they don't cuddle them too much in TC.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no problem with Romo having a moderate TC and preseason. I just don't want Garrett to soft pedal the rest of the offense because he is trying to protect too many starters. If they are not ready on the offensive side and the defense is still getting used to some new players and waiting on others it could blow up on the team. The offense is the best bet for a successful start so I hope they don't cuddle them too much in TC.
No but the offense is pretty established. You're not really seeing many new faces other then at RB, so the work they need in TC is probably less then many other teams. Our WRs are basically the same, we return the same O-line, TEs and pretty much everything else. Our starting offense should just be business as usual.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No but the offense is pretty established. You're not really seeing many new faces other then at RB, so the work they need in TC is probably less then many other teams. Our WRs are basically the same, we return the same O-line, TEs and pretty much everything else. Our starting offense should just be business as usual.
There's a standing accepted truth among coaches that says you must practice to be your best. If you don't practice you don't get better. Tell the coaching profession that there is no need to get on the practice field every day simply because they played a few months ago.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We held the Colts to 7.

Skins to 17.

Lions to 20.

Our defense performed down the stretch better then it had all season. So that's just not a correct statement.
Washington was mentally expended with their "franchise" QB permanently benched. The Colts was a complete fiasco that started wrong and went downhill fast. Neither team had defenses capable of limiting the Cowboys offense.

The playoffs changed all that.

Think of the finish in Green Bay when they allowed 26 points and 416 yards of offense to a gimpy Rodgers despite DeMarco Murray rushing for 123 yards and the offense gaining 21 first downs. In that game they were dealing with issues at every level of the defense (no Melton, no Terrell McClain, Rolando McClain ankle hurt+concussion, Hitchens' ankle hurt, Mincey with a concussion, and of course no Durant, Lee or Claiborne). We're talking an utterly jacked up facsimile of what the front office intended when the offseason started.

And the 20 given to Detroit doesn't account for the 397 yards of offense allowed.

In each playoff game Dallas had just 315 and 318 yards of offense. Clearly the offense was limited in each by the defense allowing long drives.

Basically they were a worn out unit by seasons' end.

That has to change, hopefully the additions and return of Lee will change it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a standing accepted truth among coaches that says you must practice to be your best. If you don't practice you don't get better. Tell the coaching profession that there is no need to get on the practice field every day simply because they played a few months ago.
Sure but there is also a standing accepted truth that working out too much can cause exhaustion and risk injury. It's about finding the balance. A well established and developed offense probably needs less preparatory time then a bunch of new guys coming together.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Washington was mentally expended with their "franchise" QB permanently benched. The Colts was a complete fiasco that started wrong and went downhill fast. Neither team had defenses capable of limiting the Cowboys offense.

The playoffs changed all that.

Think of the finish in Green Bay when they allowed 26 points and 416 yards of offense to a gimpy Rodgers.
26 points to an offense that averaged over 30 points per game during the season. Yeah, that's a good performance.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
26 points to an offense that averaged over 30 points per game during the season. Yeah, that's a good performance.
The weather was freezing, Rodgers was unable to move, Romo had zero turnovers, and the Dallas offense ran the ball well enough to create strong balance. All signs pointed to a very sub-average performance by Green Bay, but by games' end Rodgers was converting first downs at will.

You know the defense was totally outmatched in that game and was fielding a shell of itself.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure but there is also a standing accepted truth that working out too much can cause exhaustion and risk injury. It's about finding the balance. A well established and developed offense probably needs less preparatory time then a bunch of new guys coming together.
Who's talking about working out too much? I am simply advocating that Garrett doesn't put a blanket around half of the starters until regular season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who's talking about working out too much? I am simply advocating that Garrett doesn't put a blanket around half of the starters until regular season.
I can promise you, they will practice before the regular season.

Top Bottom