Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sherrington: Jerry Jones' window is closing just as fast as Tony Romo's

By Kevin Sherrington
Staff Columnist
Published: 01 December 2015 04:21 PM
Updated: 02 December 2015 09:26 AM

Whether Jerry Jones really believes Tony Romo -- at 35, coming off a third broken collarbone and not long removed from two back surgeries -- has another four or five years in him is beside the point.

Jerry's window, at 73, is closing just as fast as Romo's. And when Jerry's is shut, there's no re-opening it.

Bottom line: Jerry is even less inclined than ever to develop a quarterback because his shelf life, like mine, ain't what it used to be.

The fact that he's so touchy about Romo's future, as he showed on his radio show Tuesday, is evidence of his true feelings. He gives lip service to developing a quarterback, but his track record says something else. Five quarterbacks drafted over 26 years isn't exactly a trend.

But this is: three broken collarbones, which only come two to a customer.

Without question, Romo should be the Cowboys' starting quarterback going into next season. For one thing, they won't find a better alternative.

Finding Romo's heir, however, should become a priority. If the Cowboys end up 5-11, which seems more likely every day, and they have a top five pick, they should consider a quarterback. Not that they have to take one in the first round. Frankly, they shouldn't paint themselves into a corner on any position. What the losing streak proved above all else is that they could use an elite player just about anywhere, and the best player available is still the way to go.

No matter what the Cowboys do in the first round, they still must identify a quarterback they like and believe they can develop, figure out where he probably would go in the draft and proceed accordingly.

What does that mean for next year? It means bringing back Matt Cassel or a similar veteran as Romo's back-up and keeping a third quarterback on the roster. They've done it before, and with less talent. Or so you hope.

The key for Jerry is taking a page from another general manager in the area. On the SportsDay podcast this week, the Rangers' Jon Daniels was asked what he planned to do in left field. Josh Hamilton will start, Daniels said, but he'll be looking to fortify the position just the same, based on Hamilton's history of injuries.

Translation: Hope for the best and plan for the worst, or what history tells you. What it tells me is that Romo will be 36 next year, large men will continue to fall on him and he doesn't always get up so quickly.

:towel

:budd

dallen

Senior Tech
I've thought this too. Jerry is kind of in a last hurrah mode

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This guy will find the fountain of youth.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
He is funding a machine to transfer his conscience and live forever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've thought this too. Jerry is kind of in a last hurrah mode
Last hurrah means he does what he thinks is loading up around Romo for that one last push.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Last hurrah? Hardly. Jerry is merely transitioning to his Crazy Al phase. He's got at least 20 progressively more senile years left.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Last hurrah means he does what he thinks is loading up around Romo for that one last push.
15, 16 years ago it was his half assed attempt to load up around Aikman for that one last push. History doesn't always repeat but sometimes it rhymes. I hate to beat a dead horse but I've seen this movie before with this team and I didn't care much for the ending.

dallen

Senior Tech
You think that's not what he's gonna do? He's an idiot but even Jerry Jones knows how lucky he was with Romo. The likelihood of replicating that before he clocks out is very low. Jerry has always run the team selfishly. I don't think he'd give 2 craps if he could ensure we were set up to be the next Patriots over the 15 years after his death.

Honestly, I think the only reason he hasn't gone full on Al Davis is that he was smart enough to cede some power to his son. Stephen has plenty of his own problems, but he can take a longer view.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

townsend

Banned
In Jerry's defense, player acquisition hasn't been bad. Of course he's to blame for the coaches too, who could probably coach the 2015 Patriots to 6-10.

data

Forbes #1
Instead of 4th & Long, I'd be interested in a TV competition show with all former 1st round busts. Winner gets a spot in training camp.

Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Josh Freeman, Jamarcus Russell, Christian Ponder, etc....

Top Bottom