The Great Police Work Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Indian man injured by Alabama police
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/alabama-police-officer-charged-with-assaulting-indian-man/ar-AA9jI2j?ocid=ansnewsap11

MADISON, Ala. (AP) — Police sought out an Indian man in a bedroom community of Alabama after a caller said a "skinny black guy" with a toboggan was walking in the neighborhood and peering into garages, recordings show.

The man, 57-year-old Sureshbhai Patel, doesn't speak English and was slammed to the ground face-first by an officer when he didn't respond to commands. But he had committed no crime, the Madison police chief said.

Officer Eric Parker was arrested and is being fired. He has not commented publicly, and court records were not available Friday to show whether he has a lawyer.

Patel filed a lawsuit Thursday after two officers stopped him Feb. 6 in Madison, where he was visiting his son's family. His injuries include partial paralysis but he hopes for a full recovery, according to the lawsuit and Patel's lawyer. The lawsuit says Patel's civil rights were violated. It seeks an unspecified amount of money

The Indian government is taking the incident seriously and is "extremely disturbed" by the treatment of Patel, a spokesman said Friday.

The government was in contact with the U.S. mission in New Delhi and will contact officials in Washington and Alabama, said Syed Akbaruddin, India's foreign ministry spokesman.

"This is a matter of concern for us, and India and the U.S. as open pluralist societies need to address these issues and find ways in a mature manner so that these are aberrations and are not the norm," he said.

The incident began when a man called police complaining that an unfamiliar man was wandering about his neighborhood and peering toward garages. He said the man had been seen wandering the day before as well.

"He's a skinny black guy. He's got a toboggan on," said the caller, who isn't identified.

Police arrived in patrol cars within minutes and found Patel walking in his son's neighborhood in Madison, a town of about 46,000 people near high-tech businesses, the University of Alabama-Huntsville, and NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.

Video shot from inside one of the cruisers shows two officers walking toward the man on the sidewalk and attempting to talk to him.

"What's going on, sir?" asks one of the officers. "You're what? India?"

Police pepper the man with questions about what he is doing and where he is going, but answers are inaudible and someone on the recording is heard saying, "no English." Patel appears to try to walk away and one of the officers warns: "Do not jerk away from me again."

One of the officers, neither of whom is identified, restrains Patel by pulling his arms behind his back and then slams him face-first into the ground less than 90 seconds after the confrontation began.

"He don't speak a lick of English," one of the officers says as another officer arrives.

Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey said the officer's actions weren't justified.

"I found that Officer Eric Parker's actions did not meet the high standards and expectations of the Madison City Police Department," Muncey said.

Attorney Hank Sherrod says the man was stopped and hurt at least partly because of his dark brown skin.

"I think skin color made him more likely to be a victim of police power," Sherrod said Friday.

As word of Patel's treatment and injuries spread, a site established on gofundme.com to help cover medical and other expenses generated more than $64,000 in donations by midday Friday. Sherrod said Patel does not have insurance.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good sign for the police haters.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Good sign for the police haters.
Who on here has ever said they hate police?

I realize the vast Majority do their jobs correctly and this department did the right thing in firing him immediately I just wish this was not an outlier.

Cotton

Staff member
Who on here has ever said they hate police?

I realize the vast Majority do their jobs correctly and this department did the right thing in firing him immediately I just wish this was not an outlier.
:lol

So, you're just saying that all of the videos you have posted is because you want social justice, and that you don't actually have a hatred for the cops?

K

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

So, you're just saying that all of the videos you have posted is because you want social justice, and that you don't actually have a hatred for the cops?

K
I don't hate cops, I hate upper administrators that oversee PDs and agencies with serious corruption and discipline issues (Like the politicians that run NYPD) and I hate the war on drugs. In any organization, whether it's Wal-Mart or an Army or a football team, if something is going wrong, look for the man in charge. The players, employees, soldiers, cops, or whomever will not be able to overcome failures in leadership.

Cotton

Staff member
I wouldn't have a problem with a well executed war on drugs as long as pot was made legal. You would get the real drugs off the street as well as solve some of the jail overcrowding.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm not a cop hater but I have a wondering story. I had an very nice enclosed trailer full of valuable stuff parked at my shop that was stolen. My shop is in an industrial complex with multiple businesses in it. Thankfully there were cameras everywhere to view the incident. The investigator refused to come back to watch the video due to lure laziness. So damn annoying...

Months later I saw it going dwon the road and called the cops to help...nuthin....

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wouldn't have a problem with a well executed war on drugs as long as pot was made legal. You would get the real drugs off the street as well as solve some of the jail overcrowding.
Kicking down doors and going in guns blazing after drugs is stupid, even if it's the worst drug out there (meth). Keep it illegal? Sure. Arrest people who have it? Sure. Execute no-knock warrants at the risk of both officer and public safety? Why? If they have a no-shit drug lab in the house they aren't going to be able to flush their gear down the toilet. If they are a WGAS dealer, use your snitches and undercover cops like normal police.

Aside from pot, peyote and mushrooms (and I don't mind you disagreeing with those, I'm not passionate about either) It's not the drug laws I object to, it's just the "war" as in using military weapons and tactics instead of policing to get the job done.

townsend

Banned
The reason why the War in drugs is stupid is because it criminalizes addiction. That thing, by definition, human beings have no control over. This forces desperate people to turn to the most loathsome for help. I'd rather have treatment facilities offering fixes and counseling for addicts than forcing them to buy from criminals.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Solve the drug problem buy legalizing drugs. Interesting concept. Some places are beggining this approach. It will be a revealing experiment.

Cotton

Staff member
Solve the drug problem buy legalizing drugs. Interesting concept. Some places are beggining this approach. It will be a revealing experiment.
Not drugs. Just pot. There is a huge gap between pot and actual narcotics.

Jiggyfly

Banned

K
I don't hate cops doofus I was a probation officer for 5 years I respect law enforcement.

I hate abuse of power and the fact that cops these days seem to quick to use deadly force there can be a middle ground.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't hate cops doofus I was a probation officer for 5 years I respect law enforcement.

I hate abuse of power and the fact that cops these days seem to quick to use deadly force there can be a middle ground.
You said two completely different things in one post. Props.

Cotton

Staff member
School is still out on that. As to whether is an entree to harder drugs. ୌ
Can you buy meth at the stores that sell pot in Colorado? The only reason pot is considered a gateway drug is because of easier access to the other drugs since pot is being sold right next to them. I would imagine if prohibition had held up most would feel beer would be a gateway drug.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Can you buy meth at the stores that sell pot in Colorado? The only reason pot is considered a gateway drug is because of easier access to the other drugs since pot is being sold right next to them. I would imagine if prohibition had held up most would feel beer would be a gateway drug.
Probition or not, for some people it is a start on alcoholism. I realize it's an individual thing but some folks are just subseptible to addiction and as a practical matter it doesnt help to make it easier. It is an experience I wouldn't want to have my children introduced to.

Cotton

Staff member
Probition or not, for some people it is a start on alcoholism. I realize it's an individual thing but some folks are just subseptible to addiction and as a practical matter it doesnt help to make it easier. It is an experience I wouldn't want to have my children introduced to.
Again, it's about environment. You don't see people calling beer a gateway drug because the purchase of beer isn't in the same environment as meth. Same would apply for pot.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's not like people can't get pot the way things are right now any kid in the USA can go buy pot right now. Prohibition isn't making it unavailable, it's just wasting money and lives and accomplishing nothing but the enrichment of drug cartels.

Top Bottom