Archer: Cowboys pleased with Brandon Weeden but will look, too

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys pleased with Brandon Weeden but will look, too

February, 19, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- A Dallas Cowboys' offseason wouldn't be complete without some talk about the backup quarterback.

Brandon Weeden is going into the final year of his deal as Tony Romo's backup, and Dustin Vaughan, an undrafted free agent in 2014, was active for just one game.

The Cowboys will never say never when looking to add a veteran quarterback, but Jason Garrett was pleased with Weeden's development in 2014.

He played in four games and finished with three touchdown passes and two interceptions. In his one start with Romo recovering from two transverse process fractures, Weeden completed 18 of 33 passes for 183 yards with a touchdown and two picks in a 28-17 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

“You're always trying to upgrade your football team,” Garrett said. “Obviously, we feel really good about Tony. He had an outstanding year for us last year. Brandon did a really nice job in his opportunities. If you look at what he did -- he played in (four) games, (three) he came in relief for us and the one game he started we didn't play our best game on offense. But it was against a really good defensive team in Arizona. We still feel like he's a young player who needs to play more. He's really growing before our eyes. We like what Dustin Vaughn did in the preseason. He is a smart kid. He is really conscientious. He wants to be a good football player and works very hard at it. He's one of those guys, too, a young player and you can see him get better with every rep that he gets. He is going about it the right way. We think he's got a future.”

The Cowboys have not drafted a quarterback since taking Stephen McGee in the fourth round of the 2009 draft. Executive vice president Stephen Jones believes, along with Romo, that the Cowboys' starter has four or five more years left.

“That's a lot of time,” Jones said.

So that makes it unlikely the Cowboys will look for Romo's successor in the draft in the spring. It doesn't mean they won't possibly look at a veteran at some point as a backup.

“Everybody is always competing in this league,” Jones said. “There is nobody guaranteed anything. That includes Weeden and everybody. (Will McClay's) goal, my goal is to always -- if we can - bring in another player and if makes more sense, we have to look at it.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys pleased with Brandon Weeden but will look, too

February, 19, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- A Dallas Cowboys' offseason wouldn't be complete without some talk about the backup quarterback.

Brandon Weeden is going into the final year of his deal as Tony Romo's backup, and Dustin Vaughan, an undrafted free agent in 2014, was active for just one game.

The Cowboys will never say never when looking to add a veteran quarterback, but Jason Garrett was pleased with Weeden's development in 2014.

He played in four games and finished with three touchdown passes and two interceptions. In his one start with Romo recovering from two transverse process fractures, Weeden completed 18 of 33 passes for 183 yards with a touchdown and two picks in a 28-17 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

“You're always trying to upgrade your football team,” Garrett said. “Obviously, we feel really good about Tony. He had an outstanding year for us last year. Brandon did a really nice job in his opportunities. If you look at what he did -- he played in (four) games, (three) he came in relief for us and the one game he started we didn't play our best game on offense. But it was against a really good defensive team in Arizona. We still feel like he's a young player who needs to play more. He's really growing before our eyes. We like what Dustin Vaughn did in the preseason. He is a smart kid. He is really conscientious. He wants to be a good football player and works very hard at it. He's one of those guys, too, a young player and you can see him get better with every rep that he gets. He is going about it the right way. We think he's got a future.”

The Cowboys have not drafted a quarterback since taking Stephen McGee in the fourth round of the 2009 draft. Executive vice president Stephen Jones believes, along with Romo, that the Cowboys' starter has four or five more years left.

“That's a lot of time,” Jones said.

So that makes it unlikely the Cowboys will look for Romo's successor in the draft in the spring. It doesn't mean they won't possibly look at a veteran at some point as a backup.

“Everybody is always competing in this league,” Jones said. “There is nobody guaranteed anything. That includes Weeden and everybody. (Will McClay's) goal, my goal is to always -- if we can - bring in another player and if makes more sense, we have to look at it.”
So Romo will play until he is forty. Yikes.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
Brandon did a really nice job in his opportunities.
Bull. Shit.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think McCown would be great, but he is going to be costly.

townsend

Banned
I'd rather ride with Vaughan as a backup than Weedon. At least we don't know if he sucks yet.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd rather ride with Vaughan as a backup than Weedon. At least we don't know if he sucks yet.
I'd rather go with a different draft bust. Christian Ponder is from Texas and could come at a good price. IMO, he could bus-driver us through 2-4 games without being an utter disaster. He went 10-6 behind Adrian Peterson a few years ago, and he'd have better targets to throw to here.

townsend

Banned
What about Colt McCoy. He's done okay playing for some really shitty teams. I think with our line and weapons he'd be good.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I thought I heard that the Rams were thinking about letting Bradford go if he doesn't reduce his contract go. I wonder if he'd come as a back up if they do?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I thought I heard that the Rams were thinking about letting Bradford go if he doesn't reduce his contract go. I wonder if he'd come as a back up if they do?
I had last heard they were keeping him but I wouldn't mind that at all.

Top Bottom