Archer: Romo-to-Bryant moves to top of Cowboys' books

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo-to-Bryant moves to top of Cowboys' books

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

MIAMI -- When Dez Bryant looked across the line of scrimmage on the first play of the fourth quarter, all he could hear in his mind was "touchdown" over and over again.

Across from Bryant, who was lined up in the slot, was Dolphins rookie linebacker Neville Hewitt with safety Walt Aikens behind him.

“You got to have everything in order,” Bryant said. “Like, no lie, I was like, ‘OK, I see this linebacker and I see this safety. Make a move on the linebacker, square the safety, get across the field,’ and I had that all planned out at that little bit of spare time. And I knew if I gave Tony a clear view he was going to put it there. And we got it.”

Bryant put a quick move on Hewitt and ran away from Aikens and Romo led him perfectly in the end zone for a 16-yard touchdown with 14:55 left in the game. The touchdown stopped Miami’s momentum and energized the Cowboys.

“Really that was Scott (Linehan’s) design,” Romo said. “Came up with a great play. Great call. It was big, big in the game.”

It wasn’t just the winning touchdown. It was an historic touchdown.

It was Bryant’s 50th touchdown catch from Tony Romo, the most for a quarterback-wide receiver duo in team history. They accomplished the feat in 68 games together. Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin combined for 49 touchdown passes in 128 games.

Bryant downplayed the significance.

“That is pretty cool, but you know what they got though? They got three of them,” Bryant said, referring to Super Bowl wins. “That’s the goal man. I’m not trying to think too far ahead but that’s the goal man. We just got to take it game by game and stay focused the way that we are and hope for the best.”

Romo was able to take in the moment a little bit more.

“I think anytime you’re mentioned with Aikman and Irvin it’s a special deal,” Romo said. “We’re lucky just to be in that breath. Dez is a special player. He was great today on the sideline during the game. Played great. I love that kid.”

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has been around both quarterback-wide receiver combinations.

“Four great football players,” Garrett said. “I’m fortunate to know all four of those guys really, really well. I’m fortunate to be around them. I know what those guys are all about. What I say about each of them is they are all talented guys. They’ve got great ability. There is no question about that, but what makes them special is all that other stuff: love to play, great competitive spirit. I’m really happy for the guys we have right now and it’s quite an honor to have eclipsed great football players.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
“That is pretty cool, but you know what they got though? They got three of them,” Bryant said, referring to Super Bowl wins. “That’s the goal man. I’m not trying to think too far ahead but that’s the goal man. We just got to take it game by game and stay focused the way that we are and hope for the best.”
Good stuff, Dez

Top Bottom