Jason Garrett should try to get himself fired as coach of Dallas Cowboys

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jason Garrett should try to get himself fired as coach of Dallas Cowboys

By Randy Galloway

In the NFL world, the loss of a star quarterback (we all can agree, right, that Tony Romo is a star QB?) is basically the only injury excuse that is considered legitimate.

Why, then, is this next question considered, well, legit: Should Jason Garrett be fired?

Terry Bradshaw, in a back-and-forth last week with the Fox boys, gave a national TV “yes” on the immediate ouster of Garrett, despite the head coach being without his star QB for two months.

Howie Long countered Bradshaw in a hurry. Howie blamed — who else? — Mr. Jerry for the current seven-straight-Ls-and-counting state of the Cowboys.

I agree with both but, obviously, more so with Howie.

Should Garrett be fired? Yes, but not by Jerry acting on his own because under all circumstances, except one, there’s no way Jerry is going to dump Jason, now or after the season.

Jason Garrett’s 43-38 head-coaching record ranks third all-time in team history, behind Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson.

Garrett, for his own long-term coaching welfare in the NFL, should get himself fired by going Jimmy on Jerry. Insult him. Call him to his face a bleeping football idiot.

That kind of talk will get you gone in a hurry. Like by Sunday morning with the Cowboys in Miami.

Garrett needs to get himself gone. Why? Because nobody, certainly not Jerry, has taken a bigger image wound than Jason, based on the past seven games over eight weeks.

Jerry’s image was already at septic-tank level, and he is what he’s always been: coach-killer.

Garrett, meanwhile, had a very good image-thing going coming off last season, but, and I hate to say this, he has currently been reduced to almost stooge status.

Outside of Big Bill and Jimmy, there’s never been a head coach here whom Jerry hasn’t eventually chopped down to stooge status. That’s what Jerry does.

But OK, here comes Romo, back in action for Sunday’s game in Miami.

To save this 2-7 season, Romo has basically got to win out in the next seven games.

And to accomplish this, he must cure locker-room cancer, and he’s also got to form a locker-room leadership coalition that will restore law and order, and he’s also got to introduce himself to the next-up running back, and he’s also got to fix the offensive line, and he’s also got to fix the defense, and ...

Whew.

The Dolphins lead the all-time series against the Cowboys 7-6

Tony is loaded down with a combo platter of toxic football waste.

Plus, of course, Romo must be in midseason form on Sunday after missing two months.

Are we asking too much, Tony? Just joking, man.

If I’m Garrett, I’m going into every-coach-for-himself mode. I’m not believing Romo can accomplish all of the above. I’m getting myself fired by Sunday morning. I’m insulting Jerry.

One major hang-up is the huge financial considerations. After last season, Garrett was rewarded with a five-year, $30 million contract. So let’s assume there’s still $24 million in play for both Jason and Jerry.

If the buyout for being fired is only 50 cents on the dollar — 12 mil — Garrett would be wise to take it and move on, at least if he ever hopes to be a head coach again in the NFL.

Of the 31 teams of other owners and GMs in the league, I’d say all 31 understand that coaching for Jerry eventually becomes impossible. Jerry will beat you down. Heck, he even beat down Bill Parcells, and I considered that impossible.

But at the moment, Garrett’s league-wide image is hanging by a toenail.

The Greg Hardy situation is clouding him, and clouding the team, but I don’t just blame Jerry for that. It appears Jason was, in the beginning, and has been all along, as much an enabler for Hardy as Jones.

Signing Hardy was one thing — albeit a highly controversial thing — but the Cowboy assured us they could “handle” Hardy. Instead, Hardy has made Jones and Garrett look like twits.

But, again, it’s Garrett who has taken the heavier image hit on that.

And just when we thought Dez Bryant might be under control, he wandered off into never-never land on Nov. 12, first making a fool out of himself with a midweek locker-room tirade, then choking in the clutch in the loss at Tampa Bay three days later.

7 Losses in a row — the longest of Jason Garrett’s career as a head coach

But in these seven straight losses without Romo, there were at least three very winnable games that got away. A 5-4 record instead of a 2-7 record, in other words.

While the backup quarterback play has obviously been suspect, it still came down to the Cowboys having a not-well-coached look during the skid.

That goes on Garrett.

Yes, the Joe Randle decision at running back was an awful mistake, although no one wanted DeMarco Murray back more than Jason.

Yes, the loss of Bill Callahan as the offensive line coach appears to have backfired, although Callahan left in a snit after being demoted as the offensive coordinator. And at the time, none of us argued with that demotion.

But overall, the Cowboys’ lack of discipline on the field, off the field and on the devil’s invention — Twitter — is a constant disease.

I think Garrett is a good head coach. He’s having an awful year, however, and it’s a career-altering kind of year.

Get out. Now. Insult Jerry. Now.

And for those fans who want Garrett gone, remember this: Jerry will make the next hire. Gawd knows who that might be, except we all know it will be Jerry’s next head-coaching victim.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Spot on. Except the part about trying to get himself fired. That's retarded.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Would you want to work for that asshole?
The premise itself is dumb. If he gets himself fired, he has no shot at another HC job on any planet. He better hold onto this gig as long as he can, because this is it for him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The premise itself is dumb. If he gets himself fired, he has no shot at another HC job on any planet. He better hold onto this gig as long as he can, because this is it for him.
Well, I think Galloway was saying it tongue in cheek for that very reason. But it would sure be fun for Garrett to say what we all are thinking and have thought for how long? 25 MF years? I would love it.

dallen

Senior Tech
Try to get himself fired now? What the hell do you think he's been doing the past 2 months?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well, I think Galloway was saying it tongue in cheek for that very reason. But it would sure be fun for Garrett to say what we all are thinking and have thought for how long? 25 MF years? I would love it.
I think it's kind of ridiculous to fantasize about the biggest yes man Jerry's ever hired suddenly going off on him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think it's kind of ridiculous to fantasize about the biggest yes man Jerry's ever hired suddenly going off on him.
What makes Garrett any more of a yes man than say Gailey or Campo?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
His very high tolerance for ambiguity :art

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Gailey was actually fired for refusing to do what Jerry wanted. That's probably an indication. Campo... well that's about equal. The only difference between Garrett and Campo is Garrett has had Tony Romo to save him from his terrible coaching.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Galloway is another old school DFW media guy who has loved and rooted for Garrett from the start, just like Norm with his rant last week.

So of course they're going to blame Jerry for anything that goes wrong and claim the "poor Jason" narrative.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nope. Take the money and run to A&M. I could enjoy that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What the hell, so now all of this is Jerry's fault?

That is complete bullshit, so now everything wrong this year is because Jerry signed Hardy?

Garret has had a hand in every personnel decision going back to the signing of Jones as a 1st round running back and signing Bennett in the second round.

And it was Garret's decision to sign and keep Weeden if he can get on the table for another 2nd round TE he certainly could have got another backup QB in here.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Plus I wouldn't wish his dumb ass on any Texas team, not even UT. Maybe SMU or Rice but just because they are irrelevant.
It was a joke, Clay. Just trying to poke at Jsmith like I did in the chatter thread.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It was a joke, Clay. Just trying to poke at Jsmith like I did in the chatter thread.
:shrug Some people think his profile is a lot higher than it is. I doubt the does any more after leaving here than Campo did.

cml750

Not So New Member
Try to get himself fired now? What the hell do you think he's been doing the past 2 months?
Okay, I literally lol'ed!!!!:rofl

Top Bottom