Jerry Jones: I’ve tried to get cute at the quarterback spot

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Flat out, QB is the most important position on the team. Maybe controversial, but I'd rather have a Top 7-10 QB than the defensive MVP...like a Tony Romo vs JJ Watt.

Screw BPA when it comes to QB (to a certain extent), I'm willing to go with a lower-rated QB than the top-rated non-QB.
This year especially, if not a QB, we'll be looking at LB or DB. First, no way do I take a CB in the top 10 again anytime soon. If the next Deion-Sanders-can't-miss-sure-thing-CB Claibust busts, then I want no part of us relying on our scouts to take a CB that high again. That would leave LB or QB. If we are in the position to draft a potential long term starter at QB then I'd do that over the next-can't-miss-Mike-Singletary.

Of course, if we pass on QB then I'd take the LB over CB without question. Right now I'm not totally sold on Lynch or Goff, but assuming we're on the clock and one of them is on the board and considered a top prospect then I'd pull the trigger.

Cook in the 2nd would be option 2, but with several QB needy teams I think he'll go in the 1st. As for Hackenburg, he scares me. My former HS played and beat him in the state playoffs in Va and there were maybe two legit DI prospects on our team. He has all the measurables but just doesn't perform. The wildcard is Wentzel but he probably is a late 2nd to 3rd day guy.

Frankly, I doubt we take a QB this year on day or two. JJ and Garrett are probably hoping the seasoning in our system Cassell is receiving plus a full offseason will suffice. At the most we may bring in another veteran as backup if they deem Cassell is a waste.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
A top 10 pick doesn't really get you an elite QB prospect necessarily. Just moving up from 5 into the top 2 picks in the draft can cost a fortune. That's why if we are in the top 3 picks of this draft, I want a QB.
It depends on where we are at and where the QB's fall. Some have Goff lasting til th 6-8 range. If that's the case in the future and we are in that range we wouldn't need to move up. Of course if the can't-miss-QB is top 3 and we are somewhere between 6-10 it could be problematic. But remember, Jerruh always gets his man! :unsure

Top Bottom