Jerry Jones: I’ve tried to get cute at the quarterback spot

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It's not news that he's tried to get cute at the QB position, he's done it since before Aikman retired and not just QBs, either. Off the top of my head, only the Raiders and Bengals rival the Cowboys for taking on reclamation projects on both sides of the ball. Whether it's thugs or players with certain concerns that he asks Calvin Hill to have a sit down with or some physically gifted bust that was just perceived to be in a bad situation. It's one of the reasons we haven't had diddly squat for depth in years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's not news that he's tried to get cute at the QB position, he's done it since before Aikman retired and not just QBs, either. Off the top of my head, only the Raiders and Bengals rival the Cowboys for taking on reclamation projects on both sides of the ball. Whether it's thugs or players with certain concerns that he asks Calvin Hill to have a sit down with or some physically gifted bust that was just perceived to be in a bad situation. It's one of the reasons we haven't had diddly squat for depth in years.
And both teams finally got healthy taking QB's in the 2nd round.

I'm really liking the idea of finding our next QB in the same round.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Rather than getting cute at the QB spot, I wish he'd get dead at the life spot.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
~ Love Field credit card cutting story ~

dallen

Senior Tech
So if there’s a young quarterback out there whom Jones thinks could be the next Steve Young, don’t be surprised if Jones gets cute again.
That's not getting cute. That's smart roster management...

dallen

Senior Tech
Or sign Cassel when he was a free agent after the Bills cut him for free...

But it's like he thinks Cassel was the best he could do. Truly sad.
Cassel is a pretty good backup QB. I actually agree with Jerry that the problem wasn't trading for Cassel it was in not trading for him sooner. I'm cool with going with him next season unless we find Romo's heir apparent. Get a coach in here that actually knows how to make adjustments and we'd be ok with playing Cassel a few games

p1_

DCC 4Life
Or sign Cassel when he was a free agent after the Bills cut him for free...

But it's like he thinks Cassel was the best he could do. Truly sad.
I wonder if he means only that Cassel is easily better than Weeden and that Cassel is a solid backup. I actually like Cassel as a backup.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wonder if he means only that Cassel is easily better than Weeden and that Cassel is a solid backup. I actually like Cassel as a backup.
That's been my position also. Jones was apparently relying on Holmgren' s assessment of Weeden and was pretty comfortable with him as the backup. Cassel was finally acquired when Romo went down to back up Weeden. Jones in retrospect is saying he wishes he had gone after Cassel earlier.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's been my position also. Jones was apparently relying on Holmgren' s assessment of Weeden and was pretty comfortable with him as the backup. Cassel was finally acquired when Romo went down to back up Weeden. Jones in retrospect is saying he wishes he had gone after Cassel earlier.
I'll take it a step further. I think Cassel wasn't Weeden's backup, rather his replacement. Weeden's limitations were so stark so quickly.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wonder if we continue to be "cute" with the QB coach spot or we finally try to fix that...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'll take it a step further. I think Cassel wasn't Weeden's backup, rather his replacement. Weeden's limitations were so stark so quickly.
He became his replacement but I think initially he was brought in as his backup. Jones pretty much indicated that I think.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He became his replacement but I think initially he was brought in as his backup. Jones pretty much indicated that I think.
No he did not, the fact that he said he wished he would have had him in training camp shows he had little confidence in Weeden.

You are entitled to your opinion but the actions and what Jerry said dispute's what you think.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No he did not, the fact that he said he wished he would have had him in training camp shows he had little confidence in Weeden.

You are entitled to your opinion but the actions and what Jerry said dispute's what you think.
Of course he wished he had him during training camp. But that was when he learned Weeden couldn't cut it. Prior to Romo going down he was relying on Weeden and Holmgren' s stamp of approval. He as much said so.
'He also said it was in hindsight.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Quincy Carter and Stephen McGee on the only QB's we've drafted in the last 20 years.

Top Bottom