Cowboys release Brandon Weeden

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Cowboys release Brandon Weeden

Better late than never. :dunce

Jiggyfly

Banned
This should be another giant red mark against Garrett, how do you go into a year with super bowl aspirations with Weeden as your backup.

The fact that they immediately traded for Cassel shows how much faith they had in him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This should be another giant red mark against Garrett, how do you go into a year with super bowl aspirations with Weeden as your backup.

The fact that they immediately traded for Cassel shows how much faith they had in him.
They traded for Cassel to back up Weeden. Castle would never have been on the roster if Romo wasn't injured. Weeden started as the number 1 QB. It was his job to lose and he lost it but had he worked out Cassel wouldn't have seem the field. If the organization wasn't satisfied with Weedin they would have done something in the off season. Jones and Garrett both had confidence albeit misplaced in Weeden. If not they wouldn't have waited until Romo got injured to make a move.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They traded for Cassel to back up Weeden. Castle would never have been on the roster if Romo wasn't injured. Weeden started as the number 1 QB. It was his job to lose and he lost it but had he worked out Cassel wouldn't have seem the field. If the organization wasn't satisfied with Weedin they would have done something in the off season. Jones and Garrett both had confidence albeit misplaced in Weeden. If not they wouldn't have waited until Romo got injured to make a move.
I don't believe that for a second. The F.O. gambled that Romo would stay healthy, and they could get by cheaply with Weeden. Just like they did last season. And it blew up in their face.

As soon as it was obvious that Weeden would be playing a lot, a desperation trade was made. The only reason Weeden still started a couple games was we had to get Cassel up to speed as best we could. Yeah, if Weeden would some how have pulled off a miracle and played well, Cassel would have then stayed on the bench. But we all knew there was a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't believe that for a second. The F.O. gambled that Romo would stay healthy, and they could get by cheaply with Weeden. Just like they did last season. And it blew up in their face.

As soon as it was obvious that Weeden would be playing a lot, a desperation trade was made. The only reason Weeden still started a couple games was we had to get Cassel up to speed as best we could. Yeah, if Weeden would some how have pulled off a miracle and played well, Cassel would have then stayed on the bench. But we all knew there was a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.
Believe what you will. You have your thoughts and I have mine. To me if I knew I had and incompetence backup I would take care of the problem rather than gambling. Jones may do a lot of stupid things but he isn't reluctant to spend money on players he thinks he needs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
These are some Schmitty like Photoshop skills at work.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't believe that by the resources used to get him.

Everything since he was traded has shown they were rushing to get him ready.

And that still does not address my original issue of Weeden having not shown anything last year or this year to entrust him as the backup on a contending team.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The front office were hopeful that Romo wouldn't get hurt, but who made the decision that Weeden would be good enough to get them by?

Who made the call?

Whoever it is, he shouldn't get another job in the NFL.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

And that still does not address my original issue of Weeden having not shown anything last year or this year to entrust him as the backup on a contending team.
One can just as easily say that they felt no need to make a move at all until Romo got injured. Why would you go through the off season knowing you had an incompetent backup quarterback?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The front office were hopeful that Romo wouldn't get hurt, but who made the decision that Weeden would be good enough to get them by?

Who made the call?

Whoever it is, he shouldn't get another job in the NFL.
That is as much conjecture as what you think my thoughts are. No one really knows the real story.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You may have an issue with Weedin but can you say that the organization did? Who knows? It's obvious they should have had reservations but if they did and did nothing knowing Romo s injury potential, that would be really stupid and regardless of what you may think about Jerry Jones, surely Stephen or Garrett would have made their feelings known. If all were apparently comfortable with Weedin then all were confident or stupid or both.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That is as much conjecture as what you think my thoughts are. No one really knows the real story.
I think it's very obvious by their actions how they felt.They did not like Weeden. Not one little bit. They traded for cassel with the intentions of starting him as soon as he was ready. They were gambling that romo wouldn't get hurt. And it was a dumb gamble.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Believe what you will. You have your thoughts and I have mine. To me if I knew I had and incompetence backup I would take care of the problem rather than gambling. Jones may do a lot of stupid things but he isn't reluctant to spend money on players he thinks he needs.
Then why did we go in to a season where we expected to compete for a super bowl with the running backs we did? Take a look at our roster right now at the RBs we have, and remember how and when we got them here. You yourself bitched about the RBs we had in here at the start of the season.

They gambled Weeden wouldn't have to play much if at all. And they lost.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Then why did we go in to a season where we expected to compete for a super bowl with the running backs we did? Take a look at our roster right now at the RBs we have, and remember how and when we got them here. You yourself bitched about the RBs we had in here at the start of the season.

They gambled Weeden wouldn't have to play much if at all. And they lost.
Again, that's your thoughts. And going into a season expecting to compete is something every team does.

Top Bottom