Archer: Cowboys safeties Barry Church, J.J. Wilcox earn raises

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys safeties Barry Church, J.J. Wilcox earn raises
January, 16, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- By playing in more than 85 percent of the defensive snaps in each of the last two seasons, Dallas Cowboys safety Barry Church has earned a $1 million raise in 2015.

According to NFLPA figures, Church’s base salary for 2015 will be $2.75 million, up from the $1.75 million he was scheduled to earn when he signed a four-year extension with the Cowboys in 2012.

In the regular season, Church led the Cowboys in tackles with 110, according to the coaches' breakdown. He also had two tackles for loss, one quarterback pressure, two interceptions, six pass deflections, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

He signed a four-year extension in 2012 after suffering a torn Achilles that could earn him up to $12.4 million and included $3.8 million in guaranteed money.

Church’s running mate at safety, J.J. Wilcox, also earned a raise based on playing time, but it will not kick in until 2016. Under the NFL’s "proven performance escalator," players drafted in Rounds 3-7 since 2012 will receive increases by playing in at least 35 percent of the offensive or defensive snaps in two of their first three seasons.

Wilcox played 45 percent of the snaps as a rookie and 94 percent in 2014.

He is scheduled to make $690,000 in 2016, but that figure will go up to the restricted free agent tender for that year. In 2015, that figure checks in at $1.574 million. Tight end James Hanna, a sixth-round pick in 2012, narrowly missed out on hitting the escalator, playing in 31 percent of the snaps in each of the past two years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Quite possibly the most mediocre safety combination in the NFL gets raises. Outstanding.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Quite possibly the most mediocre safety combination in the NFL gets raises. Outstanding.
I didn't think they were that bad, Church missed some tackles and pissed me off a couple times but we've seen much worse since the Woodson days. I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading but it doesn't seem like the glaring need it has been for a long time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't think they were that bad, Church missed some tackles and pissed me off a couple times but we've seen much worse since the Woodson days. I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading but it doesn't seem like the glaring need it has been for a long time.
Yeah.

They aren't that bad...

They suck out fucking loud.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Raises for percentage of plays in. :lol

They also received these, but it wasn't reported.

townsend

Banned
In Dallas Mediocre safety play is excellent. After all the Alan Balls and Keith Davises and Tony Dixons we've fielded.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah, we badly need to upgrade safety. I could probably live with Church if you paired him with a good FS.

Wilcox is a solid backup, nothing more.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, we badly need to upgrade safety. I could probably live with Church if you paired him with a good FS.

Wilcox is a solid backup, nothing more.
This offseason...

Jerry: We like where we are at safety.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think if we can significantly upgrade the dline you can get away with Church and Wilcox. I think that should be first priority, but if you still have room to maneuver upgrading one or both safeties would be a good idea

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jeff fricking Heath
This will be the test to see if this organization has really turned the corner in terms of talent evaluation.

If guys like Heath and Hayden are on the roster next season, it will say a lot about how we look at things.

Both are try hard guys that I am sure Marinelli loves, but fact is, they are liabilities in terms of their talent.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Either Wilcox or Church would be great next to Ed Reed, next to each other they are trash.

Newt

DCC 4Life
We've seen much worse safety play. There's not a position on the defensive side of the ball that doesn't need an upgrade, I just think safety is toward the bottom of that list.

1. Defensive Line
2. Line Backer
3. Corner
4. Safety

I don't think we will be able to address all of them in this offseason.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We've seen much worse safety play. There's not a position on the defensive side of the ball that doesn't need an upgrade, I just think safety is toward the bottom of that list.

1. Defensive Line
2. Line Backer
3. Corner
4. Safety

I don't think we will be able to address all of them in this offseason.
I think LB is lower than that. I think we are okay there if we can re-sign McClain, Carter and Durant. My list would be:

1. DL
2. S
3. CB
4. LB

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think LB is lower than that. I think we are okay there if we can re-sign McClain, Carter and Durant. My list would be:

1. DL
2. S
3. CB
4. LB
That's how I'd rank them too.

I don't even think LB is a need per se, we just need to resign some guys and we're fine.

Top Bottom