Archer: Cowboys were close, but have to start over

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys were close, but have to start over
January, 16, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys badly wanted to be playing in Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against the Seattle Seahawks.

Jeremy Mincey said after the loss to the Green Bay Packers, the Cowboys had the "formula" to beat the Seahawks. Maybe, but a regular-season win in Seattle in October is a lot different than a postseason win in January.

It sure would have been fun to find out, but it raises a question: How close are the Cowboys to being Super Bowl contenders again?

They beat the Seahawks 30-23, and the score was that close in part because of special teams’ mistakes. They trounced the Indianapolis Colts -- who will play the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game -- in Week 16 by 35 points.

They lost to the Packers 26-21 at Lambeau Field on a controversial call.

I’ve long believed that almost every team in the league is somewhere around 8-8 going into the season. With good healthy, quality play and some breaks, they go 10-6 or better. Without good healthy, quality play and those breaks, they go 7-9 or 6-10.

There really isn’t a long climb to the playoffs or a steep drop to the NFL’s abyss. Everybody is kind of the same.

That is why the Packers’ loss hurts. The Cowboys were right there. They beat two of the four remaining teams in the playoffs and looked good doing it. They had a third, who did not lose a game at home in the regular season, on the ropes and maybe should have won.

"We had 60 minutes to do it and we didn’t accomplish that goal of moving on to the next step," Garrett said. "That’s going to stick with all of us in challenging our guys to continue to do what they’ve done, but do the things necessary to take that next step. And fight the way we fought and battle the way we battled and do all the things I thought made this team special, but we’ve got to get back to work. Guys will get away from it for a little bit but then we’ll get recharged and ready to do again."

But the 2015 Cowboys will not start with a 12-4 record. They will start 0-0, like every other team. Often, Garrett has referenced that the past has no bearing on the present or future.

Maybe next season’s Cowboys won’t be as healthy. The schedule will be a little more difficult with regular-season meetings at Green Bay and against the Seahawks at AT&T Stadium. The New England Patriots also visit Arlington, Texas.

"I like to think that we’re building something," Garrett said. "There’s no question that you do start all over again. But whatever the makeup of our team is going to be when we reassemble in the spring is going to be different than it is right now. The 2014 Dallas Cowboys are a unique entity. But I’d like to think that when we get together we’re going to have these cornerstone pieces and we’re going to have these experiences that we’ve had together that we can build on and we can benefit from. So, you are starting over, there’s no question about that. You have to do all the work, again and again and again, but that’s the great challenge of the whole thing. But we do have these people, we do have these experiences we’ve had together that we can certainly build on."

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
"close" is the NFC Champ Game. for the moment, this is just a replay of 2009, which led to nowhere.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I feel better since they finally started beating teams with a winning record, I think the RHG had a record of 0-everything before this season vs. teams with winning records...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think we're in a better position than at the end of '09. The biggest issue imo will be potential injuries. Tony will be 35 next season and any one hit could end his year. We were relatively healthy this year, especially on offense, but Tony, Dez or a couple OL go down and we're shot.
Longer term, with the coordinators in place if we make the right personnel decisons the defense should keep improving. The OL looks steady for a near future as well as WR. The key will be Tony staying healthy and playing at his '14 level. Soon though we're going to need a replacement and if it is anything like the last time it could get ugly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"close" is the NFC Champ Game. for the moment, this is just a replay of 2009, which led to nowhere.
Maybe, but this is a younger team in most areas except for QB. That was an older veteran team, especially on the OL.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Maybe, but this is a younger team in most areas except for QB. That was an older veteran team, especially on the OL.
or they're an average team that played way over their heads and took advantage of a down year for their NFCE opponents. their "little engine that could" act usually derails when they run into a real team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
or they're an average team that played way over their heads and took advantage of a down year for their NFCE opponents. their "little engine that could" act usually derails when they run into a real team.
If we got blown out by the "real teams" I would get understand. But we didn't. That is a difference to me. We competed with the best and almost took out all of the playoff participants that we played. Big difference from prior years.

This might be like the 13-3 year, I get it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
But in the 09 finale, we got our ass handed to us. This time around, we had multiple chances to win a game in which I feel we were the better team. Big difference.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
But in the 09 finale, we got our ass handed to us. This time around, we had multiple chances to win a game in which I feel we were the better team. Big difference.
yeah, but we were playing a hobbled QB (who drilled us anyway), our sole turnover was thanks to a premature snap, our stars hurt us in key moments (Murray fumble; Tony letting snap go through his hands on key possession), etc. and a lot of the teams we're chasing either have better to much better defenses or younger star QBs who don't need to miss Wednesday practice. my cynicism about this team rarely goes unrewarded.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
yeah, but we were playing a hobbled QB (who drilled us anyway), our sole turnover was thanks to a premature snap, our stars hurt us in key moments (Murray fumble; Tony letting snap go through his hands on key possession), etc. and a lot of the teams we're chasing either have better to much better defenses or younger star QBs who don't need to miss Wednesday practice. my cynicism about this team rarely goes unrewarded.
You sound like a super bowl or bust fan. Dallas made good strides this season and there is reason to think they will continue to do so. Most of us have been disappointed for several years but we can also appreciate the progress.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What exactly would you have liked to see differently from this team with the available talent?

You can nitpick all you like but we went 12-4 playing the toughest NFC division.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
You sound like a super bowl or bust fan. Dallas made good strides this season and there is reason to think they will continue to do so. Most of us have been disappointed for several years but we can also appreciate the progress.
the team made "progress" from Tuna to Wade. turned out to be fleeting. I'll treat 2014 as an aberration until proven otherwise.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
What exactly would you have liked to see differently from this team with the available talent?

You can nitpick all you like but we went 12-4 playing the toughest NFC division.
nothing. they were a "try hard" team that extracted the most they could from the available talent, but that doesn't mean they're a real contender or can play with the big boys. like their QB, they have a ceiling.

townsend

Banned
nothing. they were a "try hard" team that extracted the most they could from the available talent, but that doesn't mean they're a real contender or can play with the big boys. like their QB, they have a ceiling.
Who the f*** are the big boys? The Seahawks? We beat them. The Packers? We played well enough to beat them. Nobody is a big boy in this league, it's not 1986. A random wild card team with a coach on the hot seat can go and beat the only 18-0 team in NFL history.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who the f*** are the big boys? The Seahawks? We beat them. The Packers? We played well enough to beat them. Nobody is a big boy in this league, it's not 1986. A random wild card team with a coach on the hot seat can go and beat the only 18-0 team in NFL history.
Yeah, kick his ass, Sea Bass!

kidd

DCC 4Life
I can totally see where bbgun is coming from.

We seemed to catch lightening in a bottle this year and as much as I hope it spills into next year, I have my doubts.

Once we beat some good teams (or what were perceived to be good teams at the time) and I began to realize that this team may be special this year, my first thought was, "Damn, I hope we win it all this year because Garrett will be guaranteed a new contract next year and we might suck again! Let's not waste the momentum this year!"

I am so afraid of this season being like 2007 or worse yet, 2009.

townsend

Banned
I can totally see where bbgun is coming from.

We seemed to catch lightening in a bottle this year and as much as I hope it spills into next year, I have my doubts.

Once we beat some good teams (or what were perceived to be good teams at the time) and I began to realize that this team may be special this year, my first thought was, "Damn, I hope we win it all this year because Garrett will be guaranteed a new contract next year and we might suck again! Let's not waste the momentum this year!"

I am so afraid of this season being like 2007 or worse yet, 2009.
I think the biggest difference is age. 07's line was just one step from over the hill. 2010 was the exact moment that Keith Brooking and Bradie James became too slow to play football. Terence Newman went from decent to catastrophically bad. Right now we have 3 top level young lineman locked up for 4, 5, and 10 years, and 3 WRs under the age of 30 with 28 TD receptions between them last year. Romo's age is a concern but it's also the biggest difference in turnover slinging Romo, and 1 interception in the month of December Romo.

Personality is a big deal. Wade was a big ol' softie. Terrell Owens had half the locker room in rebellion by the 2008 season. In 2010 there was no fire in this team, they just didn't care about winning. As bad as we were when Romo was out this year, no one gave up like they did in 2010.

Coordinators are a big deal too. Brian Stewart was just a pile of suck. Jason Garrett too, now and forever. Linehan and Marrineli are just so much freaking better.

Top Bottom