Archer: Continuity a key for Jason Garrett's coaching staff

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Continuity a key for Jason Garrett's coaching staff
January, 14, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- For the first time since 2012, it looks like the Dallas Cowboys will have the same offensive and defensive playcallers in back-to-back seasons.

Rod Marinelli has agreed to a three-year deal to return as the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator. The Cowboys hope to finalize a contract with Scott Linehan as early as Wednesday to remain the offensive playcaller.

“I think it’s important to try to have systems of offense, defense and kicking game in place, stuff that we believe in, stuff that we can improve upon,” Garrett said. “I think that’s an important piece of the puzzle.”

In Garrett’s first two years as the full-time coach, he was the offensive playcaller and Rob Ryan was the defensive coordinator. In 2013, Bill Callahan called the offensive plays and Monte Kiffin was the defensive coordinator.

In 2014, those duties fell to Linehan and Marinelli.

And Garrett had effusive praise for both.

Marinelli took over a defense that was shaken to its core in 2013 and without DeMarcus Ware, Jason Hatcher and Sean Lee. He built the confidence of the holdovers and the newcomers and while the statistics were not sparkling they were able to take the ball away (31 turnovers forced).

“Rod’s just done a fantastic job not only for our defense but our whole football team. He made our players better. He made our coaches better. He’s just a great football coach and he’s a great person to have in your organization. He represents all the right things and I thought the defense played remarkably well. We had a lot of questions coming into this season and we had some injuries, and at every turn that group just continued to overcome the different adversities that cropped up and handled the situations well and played very well.

“There are a lot of different ways to measure your defense and a lot of people get caught up in yards and all the different ways that people use numbers in this game but taking the ball away impacts the game. It impacts the game like none other, and for us to be second in the National Football League taking the ball away, that’s really positive impact on our football team. You look at the correlation between takeaways and points scored and it’s a pretty direct correlation and has been for a long time And points scored relates to winning. So their impact was significant and I thought they handled all the different adversities really well and I think his leadership had a lot to do with that.”

Linehan was a newcomer to the staff that had been together for some time. He also had to walk the delicate balance of working with the person who called plays last year, Callahan. He also inherited a quarterback who has been in the same system since 2007 and a core of players who have been used to the system for years.

“Came in here with a system of football that was in place with a lot of players and coaches that were in place and fit himself in and led that offensive unit really, really well,” Garrett said, “and I just think what he was able to do of maximizing the coaches and the players on that offensive side of the ball was just fantastic. Again, like with Rod, I learn a lot from these guys on a daily basis. They’re great football coaches and we’re lucky to have them.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Continuity matters when you go 12-4. 8-8, not so much.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
So I take it if Marinelli leaves we're promoting Eberflus rather than look at Fangio or Schwartz.

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Right, considering we've changed coordinators every year until this past one.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There are also a few different players on the roster each season. So much for continuity then. Good point, bro.

townsend

Banned
Good Coaches >>>> Continuity. Swapping out our defensive and offensive play callers was the difference between 12-4 and 4-12.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Good Coaches >>>> Continuity. Swapping out our defensive and offensive play callers was the difference between 12-4 and 4-12.
Yep. Continuity with Garrett still as OC/playcaller and Eberflus or some other jag DC gets us 8-8 at best.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
There are also a few different players on the roster each season. So much for continuity then. Good point, bro.
If you can't or won't see the major difference between changing a few players and changing who is in charge of an entire unit, then you are completely hopeless.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I hope Garrett ends up being the great head coach some think he'll be. Keep being a delegator and pound "the process" into your players heads. With the right coordinators in place his message seems to be a good one.

He was certainly a HC/OC with no rudder, but looked much different this year.

Our Owner/President/CEO/GM/Lead Scout is on notice.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you can't or won't see the major difference between changing a few players and changing who is in charge of an entire unit, then you are completely hopeless.
If you can't or won't see the major difference between changing coordinators and keeping the head coach and philosophy intact, then you are completely hopeless.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Good Coaches >>>> Continuity.
Of course. No one is saying it's a good idea to keep Dave Campo around for "continuity." But if, in theory, he was here for half a decade, it would not be surprising if his schemes were better implemented at the end of his tenure than at the beginning.... because continuity does count for something.

There's a reason why the most successful franchises also happen to be the most stable.

A handful of posters will foolishly ignore and/or mock this basic premise for some reason. I'm assuming because they didn't believe in it last year so they refuse to acknowledge it had anything to do with this year.... even though it definitely did.

Swapping out our defensive and offensive play callers was the difference between 12-4 and 4-12.
Literally zero way of knowing that for a fact. Let's just leave it as "we are better off with Linehan and Marinelli here."

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, continuity counts when you have good coaches. Trying to argue that continuity with coaches like Campo will work is idiotic. But, then again...

data

Forbes #1
Wait...now we're arguing if we actually achieved continuity? Oi ve.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Trying to argue that continuity with coaches like Campo will work is idiotic. But, then again...
Good thing I just said that it's not a good idea to keep Dave Campo around for continuity then.

Top Bottom