Big decisions coming this offseason

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
let's see, he did nothing as a receiver and had no dynamic kickoff or punt returns to speak of, yet he's somehow indispensable.
What a difference a year makes. He was among my favorites on the team in 2013 but somehow never could quite get it done in 2014.

A co-worker of mine who played with Harris in college says Harris told him he's been fighting multiple injuries. Sounds like he's having trouble getting his body ready like a pro. Irvin had the same problem his first few seasons, but he was money during season 4.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What a difference a year makes. He was among my favorites on the team in 2013 but somehow never could quite get it done in 2014.

A co-worker of mine who played with Harris in college says Harris told him he's been fighting multiple injuries. Sounds like he's having trouble getting his body ready like a pro. Irvin had the same problem his first few seasons, but he was money during season 4.
What year was season 4?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

What year was season 4?
His best year was season 2 as a reciever. He has caught a total of 33 passes as a cowboy for about 400 yards.
http://www.nfl.com/player/dwayneharris/2495159/careerstats

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think the team ever really had any ideas about using Harris as a WR. When he was in the game it was to block, nothing more really.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am not ready to kick Harris out the door, I still think what he brings the team overall is a net positive.

He was top 10 in return yard Avg as KR and PR.

He is a top all around special team guy and is a plus on every special teams package.

He was a big contributor to the running game as a blocker.

I am not breaking the bank for him but at around 2 mill per I keep him it will probably take 2 guys to replicate what he does special team-wise and its no lock they do it as well.

Unlike McCray he is not a one trick poney he is a valuable guy who allows you to go heavy at other spots on gameday.

dallen

Senior Tech
I like Harris but he is replaceable. Good teams find younger, cheaper replacements for guys like him

Jiggyfly

Banned
I like Harris but he is replaceable. Good teams find younger, cheaper replacements for guys like him
Good teams also keep guys like him around, how easy is it to find young guys that can do everything he does at that level?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am not ready to kick Harris out the door, I still think what he brings the team overall is a net positive.

He was top 10 in return yard Avg as KR and PR.

He is a top all around special team guy and is a plus on every special teams package.

He was a big contributor to the running game as a blocker.

I am not breaking the bank for him but at around 2 mill per I keep him it will probably take 2 guys to replicate what he does special team-wise and its no lock they do it as well.

Unlike McCray he is not a one trick poney he is a valuable guy who allows you to go heavy at other spots on gameday.
I think it is healthy to churn the position though. As the season went on he seemed less impactful in kick coverage. Definitely was a good run blocker, but it was pretty much a given it was a run play when he came in. I think they groomed Street to pick up that part of his game and Spillman became our most important guy in kick coverage. I'd like to add some top end speed to our WR corps and in the return game...Harris is the one who will have to go because Dez, Williams, Beasley, and Street are pretty much givens to come back.

I like Harris, but I think he goes.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think it is healthy to churn the position though. As the season went on he seemed less impactful in kick coverage. Definitely was a good run blocker, but it was pretty much a given it was a run play when he came in. I think they groomed Street to pick up that part of his game and Spillman became our most important guy in kick coverage. I'd like to add some top end speed to our WR corps and in the return game...Harris is the one who will have to go because Dez, Williams, Beasley, and Street are pretty much givens to come back.

I like Harris, but I think he goes.
With special team guys you cannot just look at who makes the tackle, you also have to look who is consistently making the return guy alter his route and is always in the right place.

I still think he is our top guy because of what he brings on all facets of special teams and I am not going to knock him for a down return year especially when he was still top 10.

If he leaves Ok I just don't think he is as easily replaceable as some think mot everyone wants to play all out on special teams as this guy, I think that is a valuable piece on contending team.

dallen

Senior Tech
Good teams also keep guys like him around, how easy is it to find young guys that can do everything he does at that level?
If it was easy to find a replacement all teams would do that. The good teams are good becuase they can find those replacements.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If it was easy to find a replacement all teams would do that. The good teams are good becuase they can find those replacements.
Really?

I don't know if currently holds true But I seem to remember most contending teams having a key veteran special teams guy.

I am seriously interested if that holds true but I have not followed the roster of NE and Seattle enough.

I just don't think many guys can contribute at the level Harris does as a returner and cover guy, I think he is worth 2 if not 3 roster spots.

dallen

Senior Tech
Really?

I don't know if currently holds true But I seem to remember most contending teams having a key veteran special teams guy.

I am seriously interested if that holds true but I have not followed the roster of NE and Seattle enough.

I just don't think many guys can contribute at the level Harris does as a returner and cover guy, I think he is worth 2 if not 3 roster spots.
I don't think it is the worst thing in the world to bring him back. But I don't see how it is controversial to say that good teams find a way to churn their non-star players and find cheaper\younger replacements.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No nothing controversial at all, I just think Harris is a biy undervalued at the moment and his overall impact needs to be taken into account.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we have to have Dunbar on the team then we can let him return kicks. He's supposed to be fast.
Screw Dunbar.

All we keep hearing about is how good he is and so on, yet when it comes down to it, his impact is minimal.

He is one of the last guys I would consider vital to keep.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If Dallas could pick up a guy like Lockett to substitute for Harris that might be a good trade off. I don't know how he would do in coverage of punts and kicks but he is an excellent receiver and good on returns.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Screw Dunbar.

All we keep hearing about is how good he is and so on, yet when it comes down to it, his impact is minimal.

Now he is a guy who is easily replaceable.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Screw Dunbar.

I agree. That's why I said "if we have to" as in I'm not that interested in having him.

He's another Garrett gadget player who doesn't play his own position well enough to be useful in his role. How the hell does a pro athlete average 3.4 YPC behind this line?

In my estimation, Randle can probably do anything he can do. No, I don't think he's starter material, but he has the ability to break a long run so the defense can't totally go to sleep when he's on the field. Get him some work in the passing game and he might be able to do the same with some short passes to the flat.

Top Bottom