Linehan returning

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
On my phone so I can't post it, but Ian Rapaport tweeted it late last night and now dallasnews.com is reporting it too.

This is going to be the most stable we've been going into an offseason since the Parcells days, and now we can focus on getting the right personnel to complete this puzzle.

No distractions, no circus, just plain ol' football for once.

Time to go get us a Super Bowl. Let's do this.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Source: Dallas Cowboys play-caller Scott Linehan reaches new agreement with Cowboys

Scott Linehan will be staying with the Cowboys.

The team reached an agreement on a new contract with its most powerful offensive assistant late Wednesday night, according to a source.

Hired in January 2014, Linehan served as the passing game coordinator and play-caller this past season, when the Cowboys’ offense scored the second-most points in the league and was more balanced than it had been in any previous campaign during head coach Jason Garrett’s tenure.

Linehan, who had close ties to Garrett that were developed during a stint when they were assistants in Miami, was instrumental in establishing Dallas’ dormant running game and turning DeMarco Murray into an All-Pro.

Murray rushed for 1,845 yards — the most in the NFL and the highest total ever produced in a single season in franchise history.

Because of the offense’s success, the Oakland Raiders expressed interest in Linehan before hiring Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio on Wednesday.

Hours later, the Cowboys locked up Linehan — ensuring that they will have their offensive architect in the fold alongside their defensive mastermind, Rod Marinelli, the 65-year-old coordinator who came to terms on a three-year deal Tuesday. Both will continue to help Garrett, who agreed to a new five-year contract worth approximately $30 million earlier this week.

With the embers of their 13-5 season still smoldering, the Cowboys got down to business and kept their most prominent coaches.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Might actually be able to build on a good thing now. Draft defense and I think we only get better (with or without Murray, and assuming Romo stays healthy)

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Get Marinelli some talent and the team will be legit.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Might actually be able to build on a good thing now. Draft defense and I think we only get better (with or without Murray, and assuming Romo stays healthy)
With the way they've focused on OL, they've set themselves up nicely for plugging in a young guy at QB. I just hope they don't wait until Romo can go no more before they start planning for it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
With the way they've focused on OL, they've set themselves up nicely for plugging in a young guy at QB. I just hope they don't wait until Romo can go no more before they start planning for it.
That's the key.

It could be a fairly smooth transition with the O-line and offensive weapons we'd have to surround a young QB with, but it's important that we actually have a guy waiting to take over as opposed to making a desperate move because we wait till the last min after realizing Romo can't play anymore.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dustin Vaughan with several years of coaching from Wade Wilson should do.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's the key.

It could be a fairly smooth transition with the O-line and offensive weapons we'd have to surround a young QB with, but it's important that we actually have a guy waiting to take over as opposed to making a desperate move because we wait till the last min after realizing Romo can't play anymore.
I know the deal with 1st round QBs, but if they'd scout a guy in the later rounds and let him sit behind Romo for a year or two it would let them focus on defense. Take the 1st round guy at QB when they can afford to. Right now they're in a situation where defense must rule this draft, no way around it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:towel

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dustin Vaughan with several years of coaching from Wade Wilson should do.
Oh yes, I forgot about that.

Let's just go grab a bunch of CBs and get ready for the Super Bowl. It awaits.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I really wish this was a stronger QB class coming out. I have actually warmed up to Petty, but I think he will be overdrafted because there are just not that many good prospects. Same thing with Grayson. I like Shane Carden too.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh yes, I forgot about that.

Let's just go grab a bunch of CBs and get ready for the Super Bowl. It awaits.
You will not get a bunch of CBs. Have you not been paying attention to the process? You will get 2 CBs and a TE and you will like it.

(j/k they have done kinda good lately)

Cotton

Staff member
I really wish this was a stronger QB class coming out. I have actually warmed up to Petty, but I think he will be overdrafted because there are just not that many good prospects. Same thing with Grayson. I like Shane Carden too.
Isn't next year's QB class supposed to be pretty strong? If so, I think we can wait one more year before going too high in the draft.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Isn't next year's QB class supposed to be pretty strong? If so, I think we can wait one more year before going too high in the draft.
I guess...you have Hackenberg, Kessler, and Hogan...but we'd have to be bad to get one of those. One can be developed of course, so that will have to be the hope. I am not saying don't address the position, I am just not enamored with what is available.

Cotton

Staff member
I guess...you have Hackenberg, Kessler, and Hogan...but we'd have to be bad to get one of those. One can be developed of course, so that will have to be the hope. I am not saying don't address the position, I am just not enamored with what is available.
No, I hear ya. I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that next year's class was supposed to be deeper than this year. If so, we might be able to grab someone to develop in the 2-3 range.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I still think Kirk Cousins would be a nice pickup and has a chance to be a solid investment down the road.

Top Bottom