Archer: Continuity a key for Jason Garrett's coaching staff

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Look it up agenda-boy
Ok.....

Jeff Fisher missed the playoffs his first four seasons in Tennessee before making the playoffs his fifth. Bill Belichick missed the playoffs his first three seasons in Cleveland before making it his fourth. Marvin Lewis missed the playoffs his first two seasons in Cincy... then was one and done his third year.... then missed the playoffs his next 3 years (so 1 out of 6).

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ok.....

Jeff Fisher missed the playoffs his first four seasons in Tennessee before making the playoffs his fifth. Bill Belichick missed the playoffs his first three seasons in Cleveland before making it his fourth. Marvin Lewis missed the playoffs his first two seasons in Cincy... then was one and done his third year.... then missed the playoffs his next 3 years (so 1 out of 6).
Lewis falls under my definition so he's out and going back all the way to Fisher at Tennessee and Belichick at Cleveland isn't helping your argument :lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

townsend

Banned
Personally I'm iffy on Garrett, and wish we could have picked up a Harbaugh, Fox or someone on that level. But the team has a good dynamic and great coordinators. That's all you need to win a super bowl. Brian Billick's dumb ass has a superbowl ring after all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Lewis falls under my definition so he's out
Your definition is arbitrary and thus meaningless. On no planet is making the playoffs 1 out of your first 6 seasons "winning." Yet he established continuity and now has created a half decent team there. So no, winning did not establish continuity for Marvin Lewis. Continuity has led to repeated playoffs now that he's been there long enough.

and going back all the way to Fisher at Tennessee and Belichick at Cleveland isn't helping your argument :lol
You've got some fucking balls to make up an arbitrary standard completely on your own, then have it completely disproved, refuse to own up to the fact that your statement is false, and then accuse me of being the one with an agenda.

That's the MO for most of you Garrett haters though. Anything less than pure contempt for the guy is "an agenda." Yet you are the ones who refuse to accept anything less than your own point of view on the matter. Quick, post that stupid "pushing" GIF so the other trained seals clap for you.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Personally I'm iffy on Garrett, and wish we could have picked up a Harbaugh, Fox or someone on that level. But the team has a good dynamic and great coordinators. That's all you need to win a super bowl. Brian Billick's dumb ass has a superbowl ring after all.
Garrett remains an average head coach. He needs talent, and he needs a good staff.

Putting him in a group with about half the other coaches in the league. Outside the ones who make chicken salad out of chickenshit, but also not one of the worst who have no direction. Whether you put him at 12th or 20th is personal preference only and mostly just splitting hairs.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Your definition is arbitrary and thus meaningless. On no planet is making the playoffs 1 out of your first 6 seasons "winning." Yet he established continuity and now has created a half decent team there. So no, winning did not establish continuity for Marvin Lewis. Continuity has led to repeated playoffs now that he's been there long enough.

You've got some fucking balls to make up an arbitrary standard completely on your own, then have it completely disproved, refuse to own up to the fact that your statement is false, and then accuse me of being the one with an agenda.

That's the MO for most of you Garrett haters though. Anything less than pure contempt for the guy is "an agenda." Yet you are the ones who refuse to accept anything less than your own point of view on the matter. Quick, post that stupid "pushing" GIF so the other trained seals clap for you.
Lewis MADE THE PLAYOFFS IN HIS FIRST 3 YEARS so there is nothing arbitrary about it and as for Cleveland/Tennessee in what world do they count as one of the "most successful franchises"
There's a reason why the most successful franchises also happen to be the most stable.

data

Forbes #1
:lol

It's like a movie scene where there's a sophisticated wine & cheese party and then Crazy Charlie kicks open the doors and does his thing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ok.....

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Lewis MADE THE PLAYOFFS IN HIS FIRST 3 YEARS so there is nothing arbitrary about it
What is arbitrary is saying that winning breeds continuity and then saying that making the playoffs 1 out of 6 seasons counts as winning just because the "1" happened in the first 3 years. You are the one that picked the three year barrier, yet there is nothing that indicates 3 years is any kind of magic time length that proves anything.

In any case... back to my point.... 1 out of 6 is not a whole lot of winning, and yet Marvin Lewis still managed to stick around and eventually generate a team that has made the playoffs the last 4 seasons. So continuity did help him despite not winning early on.

and as for Cleveland/Tennessee in what world do they count as one of the "most successful franchises"
I didn't say they were. I said there's a reason why the most successful franchises also tend to be the most stable.

You then made some clearly false statement about "no team that has continuity has a coach that didn't [make the playoffs] in the first 3 years."

Which is factually incorrect. I just named a couple. And you can throw Lewis in there as another name who had success only after establishing continuity, once we disregard your arbitrary "3 year" test.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
Marv Levy spent 5 years with the Chiefs and 2 years with Buffalo before his first playoff appearance.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
In this year's case, there was also a positive to the continuity of Garrett's regime. The players bought into what he was preaching, and it generated a bunch of guys who did not roll over in December for once.
LOL. So four years of "be great today" or whatever other standard Garrett coaching cliche you choose wasn't enough to win in December... But five years, boy, that was the magic number?

Please, we won in December for the same reason we won the other months: We were healthy and Linehan and Marinelli did great jobs. Two brand new coordinators in their first years, BTW.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
What is arbitrary is saying that winning breeds continuity and then saying that making the playoffs 1 out of 6 seasons counts as winning just because the "1" happened in the first 3 years. You are the one that picked the three year barrier, yet there is nothing that indicates 3 years is any kind of magic time length that proves anything.

In any case... back to my point.... 1 out of 6 is not a whole lot of winning, and yet Marvin Lewis still managed to stick around and eventually generate a team that has made the playoffs the last 4 seasons. So continuity did help him despite not winning early on.

I didn't say they were. I said there's a reason why the most successful franchises also tend to be the most stable.

You then made some clearly false statement about "no team that has continuity has a coach that didn't [make the playoffs] in the first 3 years."

Which is factually incorrect. I just named a couple.
You did not name any team that has continuity, you named some that had it. Fact is Lewis made the playoffs in his first 3 years and therefore showed a reason to keep him around. And I said "Every organization that has continuity has a HC that showed something in the first 3 years." so it is factually correct. I ceded Garrett as the exception with "Except if you are in the family portrait"

Smitty

DCC 4Life
LOL. So four years of "be great today" or whatever other standard coaching cliche you choose wasn't enough to win in December... But five years, boy, that was the magic number?
It contributed to it. It wasn't the sole (or even the main) reason.

Please, we won in December for the same reason we won the other months: We were healthy and Linehan and Marinelli did great jobs.
Those are also reasons.

The main reason is the dominance of the OL all season long though, if we're talking about what should get the most credit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You did not name any team that has continuity, you named some that had it. Fact is Lewis made the playoffs in his first 3 years and therefore showed a reason to keep him around. And I said "Every organization that has continuity has a HC that showed something in the first 3 years." so it is factually correct. I ceded Garrett as the exception with "Except if you are in the family portrait"

Getting technical on verb tenses now to save your argument.

townsend

Banned
I feel the "First 3 years" metric is better for a second term head coach. Ditka in New Orleans for instance. We should have known when we hired a bad coordinator and bad qb coach that he was a project as a head coach. Ideally we wouldn't have to grow our own, but a Harbaugh would not tolerate a Jerry Jones. Our best bet at success is a big ol' family photo. I'm personally a little disappointed in a 5 year contract, after one good year, but that's what Jerry gets for letting Garrett's lame duck year play out without firing or extending him.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Getting technical on verb tenses now to save your argument.

You dredge up some old ass examples like that was a valid point and then try to claim Lewis even though he showed something early but yea I'm pushing an agenda..

Top Bottom