Redskins cite list of ridiculously offensive trademarks in team's court appeal

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So are judges going to parse through all of these trademarks to ensure no more offensive names are held, based on a totally objective standard. Or will they arbitrarily revoke privately held intellectual property based on the rabble of the masses?

I'm no lawyer, so you're certainly more right than I am from a legal standpoint. It just seems like it's not as much offensiveness as it is being generally disliked. Unless the NAACP and United Negro College Fund are also willing to lose their branding.
I'm not a trademark or patent lawyer so I certainly don't know the exact process of these things. My inclination is that no one parses anything out and that a suit of some sort or motion has to be initiated in order to strike down a trademark. These things aren't initiated by judges.

The problem with their argument is the same thing I deal with my clients on a daily basis. For example someone comes to me with a speeding ticket and says "the guy next to me was also speeding" as a defense. You would look at that and say it's a terrible defense. There is a law and you broke it, just because someone else also broke it but got away with it has nothing to do with your particular circumstances.

Now the only difference would be if a judge had previously determined that CRACKA AZZ SKATEBOARDS was an acceptable trademark. Meaning someone challenged it and a judge made a legal determination that it was something that could be trademarked. That's legal precedent though and I don't think the Redskins lawyers are pointing to that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm not contending it's going to bankrupt anyone. I am saying it will cost a lot more than than just being a simple deal that Carp thinks will automatically make a lot of money.
Did you read the article you posted? Both sports branding analysts said they would come out ahead in the deal. So there is that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Did you read the article you posted? Both sports branding analysts said they would come out ahead in the deal. So there is that.
I wasn't arguing that point. I said it would cost then some money to change the name. It isn't just a simple matter of changing and the money starts rolling in because there are costs involved and yes they will eventually come out ahead but it's not a simple process it involves a lot of time and expenditures.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I wasn't arguing that point. I said it would cost then some money to change the name. It isn't just a simple matter of changing and the money starts rolling in because there are costs involved and yes they will eventually come out ahead but it's not a simple process it involves a lot of time and expenditures.
Jesus take the wheel.

Top Bottom