Sturm: Four things Cowboys should NOT do this offseason

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hello, offseason . We've missed you .

townsend

Banned
Just don't see the Rivers comparison at all. In style of play he is much more like Elway and Big Ben.
Fair enough. My point was that guys like Rivers or Roethlisberger have come up and been successful without necessarily performing at a HOF level. Luck has been touted as the next big thing since college, and has played well, but I feel like there's this silent assumption that he is definitely going to have an all time great career even though accomplishments haven't yet indicated he'll be better than a Bledsoe, Rivers, or Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I always take the younger, more fit player when the "talent" is pretty equal.

I even think Luck more talented, just not as seasoned.
They are different. Luck has a stronger arm and can run. If I had to match a physical prototype for an all-timer Aaron Rodgers is first and Luck is second.

But Romo is more creative than either and has finally become "a master of his domain."

Luck needs a strong hand as a coach to force a running game down his throat. Rodgers kind of does too, though he was fortunate enough to land a ring.

In the end Romo is much more accurate than Luck, and especially with a strong running game is a better option for a single season.

Luck had no chance to beat New England. None. But I think Romo could go into Foxboro and win that game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's great now. First 3 years in the NFL, playoffs, AFCC in 3rd year...pretty easy to see what his next step is.
It's pretty impressive considering the talent surrounding him too. I mean that Colts defense was crap this year. Their O-line was pathetic. Not much at RB.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
He's great now. First 3 years in the NFL, playoffs, AFCC in 3rd year...pretty easy to see what his next step is.
Maybe, maybe not. Marino made it his rookie year and then never made it back so you can't predict based on history. Just like next year while we all expect good things from the boys, it's starting all over again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His division has been down in each of those years, too. That won't last for long.

Luck's offense using him the way they have has been a shortcut to success in much the way Dallas used Romo for all those years without a defense or a running game.

To really break through, Luck will need to mentally lock away his past experience and start fresh with a solid running game and some building blocks on defense. Then when they achieve some semblance of balance, unleash the passing attack.

If they continue to go full-on Peyton Manning, I foresee a lot of frustrating "almost" seasons for Luck and the Colts.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Maybe, maybe not. Marino made it his rookie year and then never made it back so you can't predict based on history. Just like next year while we all expect good things from the boys, it's starting all over again.
I'll go ahead and say he is a great player now and will get better. You can play the wait and see game.

Carp

DCC 4Life
His division has been down in each of those years, too. That won't last for long.

Luck's offense using him the way they have has been a shortcut to success in much the way Dallas used Romo for all those years without a defense or a running game.

To really break through, Luck will need to mentally lock away his past experience and start fresh with a solid running game and some building blocks on defense. Then when they achieve some semblance of balance, unleash the passing attack.

If they continue to go full-on Peyton Manning, I foresee a lot of frustrating "almost" seasons for Luck and the Colts.
His division has been down, so has Brady's division...does that minimize his accomplishments?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
His division has been down, so has Brady's division...does that minimize his accomplishments?
Did it minimize Montana or Young's?

They played in an even weaker NFC West back in those days. The Patriots at least had some competition from the Jets for a few seasons where they made a couple of AFC Championships.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'll go ahead and say he is a great player now and will get better. You can play the wait and see game.
I absolutely agree he is a potential monster talent. My point was it isn't a given he and his teams will take the next step to the SB win or lose.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Did it minimize Montana or Young's?

They played in an even weaker NFC West back in those days. The Patriots at least had some competition from the Jets for a few seasons where they made a couple of AFC Championships.
Montana and Young had a guaranteed joke of a schedule for most of their careers. "Same old Rams" was a fricking mantra. Dallas had the Cardinals, but even they had Otis Anderson, Neil Lomax, Roy Green, and Eric Swann for stretches.

The 49ers had the Saints (0 playoff victories in their franchise history until Brees), the Falcons (almost as futile), and Rams (crap awful outside of 1978-1981 and 1989-1990). On top of it, they got to play the worst from either the NFC East or NFC Central which inevitably was the Cardinals and Buccaneers.

The Buccaneers alone probably gave the 49ers more playoff berths than any other team.

Brady has had plain ridiculous luck against the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets. There have been way too many seasons where all three have been plain bad. When does that happen for Dallas vs the NFC East? 1998? Maybe once or twice in the 1970's?

The Cowboys of the 1990s beat former Superbowl champions and a team so physical in the Eagles there may never be another like that again thanks to free agency. Now that's a champion worth recognizing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Montana and Young had a guaranteed joke of a schedule for most of their careers. "Same old Rams" was a fricking mantra. Dallas had the Cardinals, but even they had Otis Anderson, Neil Lomax, Roy Green, and Eric Swann for stretches.

The 49ers had the Saints (0 playoff victories in their franchise history until Brees), the Falcons (almost as futile), and Rams (crap awful outside of 1978-1981 and 1989-1990). On top of it, they got to play the worst from either the NFC East or NFC Central which inevitably was the Cardinals and Buccaneers.

The Buccaneers alone probably gave the 49ers more playoff berths than any other team.

Brady has had plain ridiculous luck against the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets. There have been way too many seasons where all three have been plain bad. When does that happen for Dallas vs the NFC East? 1998? Maybe once or twice in the 1970's?

The Cowboys of the 1990s beat former Superbowl champions and a team so physical in the Eagles there may never be another like that again thanks to free agency. Now that's a champion worth recognizing.
That's all nice, but the fact still remains that is it pretty damn stupid and petty to deny giving credit to a team or individual because of their division foes?

Were the Cowboys of the 1970s any less when we didn't exactly have powerhouses in the Eagles, the Giants and the Cardinals in the division? The Cardinals were good maybe twice in the decade. Otherwise we had the Redskins and they weren't always top shelf.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's all nice, but the fact still remains that is it pretty damn stupid and petty to deny giving credit to a team or individual because of their division foes?

Were the Cowboys of the 1970s any less when we didn't exactly have powerhouses in the Eagles, the Giants and the Cardinals in the division? The Cardinals were good maybe twice in the decade. Otherwise we had the Redskins and they weren't always top shelf.
No, it's true great "dynasties" often are backed by weak schedules.

My original point was that Luck's easy-street situation won't last forever. Sooner or later one or more of the Texans, Titans, or Jags will step up to not only challenge but surpass them. My money is on the Jags.

Carl

RIP Brother
There are a ton of players to question or call out. Luck is not one. He is a great QB in an era that its going to be harder to find one.

townsend

Banned
There are a ton of players to question or call out. Luck is not one. He is a great QB in an era that its going to be harder to find one.
True. Like Peyton Manning. Worst playoff QB in history.

Top Bottom