Sturm's Morning After: Garrett Ignores Reality Of the Underdog

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
On one hand I totally agree that Garrett did not coach the game to win yesterday, on the other I know that we would be no worse than 5-2 with Romo, even without Bryant.

I also know one thing that's for certain, we could lose every god damn game the rest of the year and Garrett will not be fired. If we bring the gang back and have a relatively healthy team next year and go 7-9 or worse, then yea, I think he could be fired, but there is literally nothing that could happen this season that leads to his firing with the injuries that we've had.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He is not going to eat the remaining four years on Garrett’s contract.
Oh, I'm not saying he'll fire him this year or even next. I'd bet against it, in fact. More speaking to the thought that Garrett will be here for the next ten years or more.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Oh, I'm not saying he'll fire him this year or even next. I'd bet against it, in fact. More speaking to the thought that Garrett will be here for the next ten years or more.
I don't think anybody thinks ten years or more. Everybody does have a leash. Garrett just has a longer one than most. I think most here are thinking the length of this contract until it starts getting hot.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If he had Romo you would be gargling his nuts right now.
We don't, and it's showing Garrett's ass. Good coaches win even with backup QBs. Or they at least don't go 0-5.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We don't, and it's showing Garrett's ass. Good coaches win even with backup QBs. Or they at least don't go 0-5.
Yeah, I'm not talking about winning a bunch but going 0-5 (maybe still 0-6 or 0-7) is horrific with a backup QB. Especially on a team like ours that still has a lot of talent at other positions.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am inclined to agree about Garrett. All but the Patriots game could have been won with a different game strategy. That falls in the area of responsibility of the coaching staff. It seems to me that the game strategies were all designed to make Dallas a one dimensional offense. Weedin was reigned in so tight that Dallas had no passing threat what so ever. The first game with Cassel was more balanced and kept Dallas in the game but his picks nullified his contributions. That game was planned fairly well but then yesterday the knee jerk reaction of the coaching staff reeled in Cassell and made Dallas a one dimension offense again. How long does it take to wake up??

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think it's about 50/50 whether Garrett will be fired if we struggle and miss the playoffs in 2016. Part of me says Jerry won't eat three years of that deal. Part of me says he was in the hot seat before 2014 happened and if we miss the playoffs this year because he couldn't steal 2 measly wins out of 7, or because the team underperforms when Romo gets back, I think he'll need a solid 2016 to restore Jerry and Stephen's confidence.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it's about 50/50 whether Garrett will be fired if we struggle and miss the playoffs in 2016. Part of me says Jerry won't eat three years of that deal. Part of me says he was in the hot seat before 2014 happened and if we miss the playoffs this year because he couldn't steal 2 measly wins out of 7, or because the team underperforms when Romo gets back, I think he'll need a solid 2016 to restore Jerry and Stephen's confidence.
Garrett will get a pass because of personnel injuries but Linehan could get the boot for not creating a more competitive set of game plans.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Garrett will get a pass because of personnel injuries but Linehan could get the boot for not creating a more competitive set of game plans.
I don't see why Garrett would get a pass in 2016 for injuries that happened in 2015. I don't think Garrett could be fired this year even if we went 2-14.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't see why Garrett would get a pass in 2016 for injuries that happened in 2015. I don't think Garrett could be fired this year even if we went 2-14.
If you and I were making the considerations that might be the case but the management mentality will find a reason to keep Garrett and if a goat is needed Linehan will be the obvious choice because he aligns the game plans that are the reason for the losses.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If you and I were making the considerations that might be the case but the management mentality will find a reason to keep Garrett and if a goat is needed Linehan will be the obvious choice because he aligns the game plans that are the reason for the losses.
I'm not so sure about that. I could see it happening, but Garrett's total record would start to weigh against him at that point. It's not like everything started over last year, the 8-8 underperforming years are still there. Any more will make it seem like he's returned to form and showing his true colors.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not so sure about that. I could see it happening, but Garrett's total record would start to weigh against him at that point. It's not like everything started over last year, the 8-8 underperforming years are still there. Any more will make it seem like he's returned to form and showing his true colors.
I'm not justifying it I am predicting what I think Management will do. Garrett has a big contract so if they absolutely have to cut someone loose ,Linehan is the most likely candidate. That's not saying how I think it should be rather what I think is the likely outcome. There may be no repercussions at all but I don't think they will move against Garrett this year.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm not justifying it I am predicting what I think Management will do. Garrett has a big contract so if they absolutely have to cut someone loose ,Linehan is the most likely candidate. That's not saying how I think it should be rather what I think is the likely outcome. There may be no repercussions at all but I don't think they will move against Garrett this year.
Once. Again. I'm talking about following the 2016 season if hypothetically the team fails to perform again. Not. This. Year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think Linehan would go just because Romo really likes him and has great rapport with him. Everyone said he's the one who convinced Tony to stop checking out of runs so often, something our esteemed HC apparently couldn't do.

And I can't see Marinelli getting fired, because he's good.

If anyone got fired it would probably be some lower level coach like Henderson or Pollack. But really, I expect us to be good enough once Tony returns that pretty much everyone stays.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Once. Again. I'm talking about following the 2016 season if hypothetically the team fails to perform again. Not. This. Year.
Okay. I misread. I read it as the playoffs for 2015 season which will occur in 2016'

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't think Linehan would go just because Romo really likes him and has great rapport with him. Everyone said he's the one who convinced Tony to stop checking out of runs so often, something our esteemed HC apparently couldn't do.

And I can't see Marinelli getting fired, because he's good.

If anyone got fired it would probably be some lower level coach like Henderson or Pollack. But really, I expect us to be good enough once Tony returns that pretty much everyone stays.
Wade Wilson getting fired would make me cry tears of joy. I don't think even LT can defend him after the performance of the backup QBs this year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wade Wilson getting fired would make me cry tears of joy. I don't think even LT can defend him after the performance of the backup QBs this year.
I won't defend him but at the same time I don't think he had much input into developing any of the backups. All got their training elsewhere including Moore. Wilson hasn't had a project QB to speak of except maybe McGee. I am like a lot of people on this site, he appears to be treading water.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I won't defend him but at the same time I don't think he had much input into developing any of the backups. All got their training elsewhere including Moore. Wilson hasn't had a project QB to speak of except maybe McGee. I am like a lot of people on this site, he appears to be treading water.
Weeden clearly didn't get better over the year he was in the offense and Vaughn seemed to massively regress. If your results are bad for long enough, eventually you should stop getting chances.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Weeden clearly didn't get better over the year he was in the offense and Vaughn seemed to massively regress. If your results are bad for long enough, eventually you should stop getting chances.
From a coaching point of view Weedin has good technique and delivery. His problem is mental or cannot read defenses quick enough. A coach can only take that so far regardless who they are. If Weedin isn't quick enough to learn reads then it's a puzzle who is to blame. I don't know if his difficulty is mental or lack of coaching. He apparently didn't learn it before he came to Dallas.

Top Bottom