Sturm's Morning After: Garrett Ignores Reality Of the Underdog

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Okay, I'm officially on the wagon. Fire Garrett.

It's the only way we have a shot at sustained success.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I mean we aren't going to make a change midseason and a change now isn't going to save the season anyway. Hell it won't fix this thing long term to make a move in the middle of the season either. But I'm totally fed up with this coaching staff at this point. We have serious injuries this year but going 0-5 without Romo is a clear indictment on the coaching staff.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Be fair! No one can win with these players!

#schmitty
Well, it's not easy to do. But, to lose 5 in a row? That's not on the players. It's on the gameplanning, and the complete lack of an ability to adjust mid-game.

Asked at the press conference how he was going to fix the problem he said in a very robotic voice, "I'm going to stand... on the side lines... and clap... like a ro bot".

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I mean we aren't going to make a change midseason and a change now isn't going to save the season anyway. Hell it won't fix this thing long term to make a move in the middle of the season either. But I'm totally fed up with this coaching staff at this point. We have serious injuries this year but going 0-5 without Romo is a clear indictment on the coaching staff.
I highly doubt we make a change for years. Stuck with mediocrity unless we can find some other stuff to take away from him. I mean we brought in Linehan to be OC and we won until coaching actually needed to happen. I guess we can take away the headset and the walking around on the sidelines. Maybe we make it to the Championship game then.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I highly doubt we make a change for years. Stuck with mediocrity unless we can find some other stuff to take away from him. I mean we brought in Linehan to be OC and we won until coaching actually needed to happen. I guess we can take away the headset and the walking around on the sidelines. Maybe we make it to the Championship game then.
Yeah, and we will win with Romo on the field. But that's just a band aid for a coaching staff that just doesn't seem to get it.

dallen

Senior Tech
I wouldn't either because as slim as it is, there is still a chance we could sneak in to the playoffs, and if you fire him now you are giving up on the rest of the season. Linehan or Marinelli aren't turning this thing around either. But I'd be getting ready to move on after the season presuming a miracle doesn't happen

dallen

Senior Tech
Yesterday Drew Brees threw 7 TDs. Cumulatively this year Dallas QBs have thrown 6 TDs. Romo threw 3 of them.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm not sure when to fire Garrett, but one thing I'm sure of is I'm about over the Marinelli experiment. There are simply too many big plays being given up at the wrong times.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yup....it will literally be years before Garrett gets canned.

This year is a free pass. Next year will be viewed as his first really down year, so he'll be given the 2017 season to try and rectify things.

Only after a bad 2017 will Jerry even remotely consider the possibility of replacing him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yup....it will literally be years before Garrett gets canned.

This year is a free pass. Next year will be viewed as his first really down year, so he'll be given the 2017 season to try and rectify things.

Only after a bad 2017 will Jerry even remotely consider the possibility of replacing him.
I don't believe any of the "wont fire him because..." stuff. The same things were said about Wade. "He won't be fired because Jerry is comfortable with his puppet." "He won't be fired because Jerry is still making money in his new stadium". "He won't be fired because Jerry hand picked him, and wants to prove he's right." (sound familiar) And on, and on, and on. If Jerry has proven one thing time and time again, it's that NOBODY knows what the hell he'll do in any given situation.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't believe any of the "wont fire him because..." stuff. The same things were said about Wade. "He won't be fired because Jerry is comfortable with his puppet." "He won't be fired because Jerry is still making money in his new stadium". "He won't be fired because Jerry hand picked him, and wants to prove he's right." (sound familiar) And on, and on, and on. If Jerry has proven one thing time and time again, it's that NOBODY knows what the hell he'll do in any given situation.
Two things:

One, Wade doesn't have the family connection that Garrett does.

Two, Wade had a team full of starters that had just won the division and went 1-7 to start the season. Garrett has the benefit of injuries.

These situations are much different from one another.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Two things:

One, Wade doesn't have the family connection that Garrett does.

Two, Wade had a team full of starters that had just won the division and went 1-7 to start the season. Garrett has the benefit of injuries.

These situations are much different from one another.
How does Garrett have family connections? Because fan's like to talk about the 'family portrait'? Ok.

And Garrett has had one winning season with a perfect storm/healthy season. And he's done something even Campo didn't do. Lose 5 in a row. And still going...

Don't underestimate an old man seeing his last chance at a winner slipping away.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, they aren't the same at all. Jerry had wanted Garrett to be his head coach since 1999 or whenever. Wade was just a temporary placeholder because Jerry decided Garrett wasn't quite ready yet in 2007.

Of course Jerry can get pissed and make coaching changes, they just won't be at the head coach position.

Carp

DCC 4Life

If he had Romo you would be gargling his nuts right now.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He is unpredictable for sure but it sure does seem like Jerry thinks very, very highly of Garrett. That was pretty clear when he hired him as an assistant making more than the head coach and I don't think that has changed this season. Especially after nearly taking the team to the NFC Championship game last year. Garrett is his Golden Boy and he has mentioned more than once that he believes he is the Cowboys version of Sean Payton.

He also has mentioned that he covets the kind of organizational stability of the New Englands and Pittsburghs of the league. That requires having total belief in and extreme patience with the head coach.

None of that may end up meaning anything in the long run but I really believe it will. I think Garrett is going to get a pretty long leash. He will get a total free pass for this season so Jerry will be operating under the idea that hey, last time Garrett had a healthy team he went 12-4 and nearly got to the NFC title game.

Garrett will be in town for at least another few years, IMO. Never know for sure with Jerry but it would surprise me if he gets canned before that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, and we will win with Romo on the field. But that's just a band aid for a coaching staff that just doesn't seem to get it.
LOL...give him bad QBs so he can prove himself!

The coaching staff that does not get it...you thought that way last year, right?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is not going to eat the remaining four years on Garrett’s contract.

Top Bottom