Murray turns down 4 year 16 million dollar offer?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just heard on NFL radio and I'm on my phone.

Can someone verify if this is true?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Don't know if it is true of not but if that is what they're going to offer him I'd say they have no chance to resign him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Is this supposed to be surprising? Wasn't there a similar rumor around October or some such?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Don't know if it is true of not but if that is what they're going to offer him I'd say they have no chance to resign him.
Of course not, but a 4 years and 4 mill per is exactly what I thought the money and length should be, ironically enough.

If he wasn't a fumbler, I'd be ok with 4 years at 20 million. But I'm not paying a fumbler coming off a heavy workload more than that. I'll pay AP 2 years at 12 before I pay Murray 5 mill a year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys disagree on value

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Jan. 13, 2015 at 07:47 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 13, 2015 at 08:43 p.m.

Owner Jerry Jones recently stated that the Dallas Cowboys will wield the franchise tag to retain impending free agent Dez Bryant, if necessary, in the coming offseason.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport confirmed Tuesday the star wide receiver is "not going anywhere."

With Bryant under Jones' thumb and coach Jason Garrett's services under contract for the next five years, All-Pro tailback DeMarco Murray's future is the biggest question mark in Dallas.

Murray insists he's not worried about his future even if there's no sign of common ground between his camp and the Cowboys.

At last check, Dallas had a four-year deal worth slightly more than $16 million on the table, according to Rapoport.

It's an insulting offer for a player who was saddled up to carry the team on his legs for the majority of the franchise's best season in nearly a decade. On the other hand, it connotes an awareness of the NFL's ongoing devaluation of the position and the effects of a career-high 497 touches for a previously injury-prone tailback who was never viewed as a franchise workhorse.

Unless the Cowboys pry the coffers wide open, Murray will likely test free agency.

Even if borderline starting running backs are now paid like kickers and punters, a star of Murray's caliber can do better than $4 million annually on the open market.

If Murray ends up signing elsewhere, it will be interesting to see if Jones ends up back on the phone with Adrian Peterson later in the offseason.

D

Deuce

Espn Insider just put up an article about the "7 teams expected to bid" on Murray.

If if anyone has it, I'm curious if there's any actual anonymous quotes or just all speculation.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Espn Insider just put up an article about the "7 teams expected to bid" on Murray.

If if anyone has it, I'm curious if there's any actual anonymous quotes or just all speculation.
Nothing but pure speculation but here you go:

Teams that could pursue Murray

What is the market for the Cowboys' star free-agent RB? Here are seven fits
Originally Published: January 13, 2015
By Matt Williamson | ESPN Insider

DeMarco Murray is coming off an outstanding season in Dallas. He racked up an NFL-best 1,845 rushing yards, a 4.7 yards per carry average, 13 rushing touchdowns and 57 catches during the regular season. Murray is an excellent downhill runner, strong in protection and a valuable receiver out of the backfield. He is also a free agent.

Now, there are some negatives to signing this player.

Murray has a somewhat extensive injury history, going back to his days at Oklahoma, and even more troubling, he touched the ball a simply amazing 497 times (regular season and playoffs). It is well-known that running backs have historically not been nearly as productive after such massive-workload seasons.

Plus, Murray ran behind the best offensive line in the NFL in 2014, and though he is certainly a good player, he is not an elite talent. Murray wasn't as productive late in the season as he was at the beginning. He averaged 3.7 yards per carry in Week 13 and a combined 2.6 in Weeks 15 and 16 -- those totals could be a bad omen for his upcoming productivity.

Finally, not only are running backs not sought-after and paid like they once were, but this incoming draft class is also loaded at the position, and there are several other prominent, free-agent backs hitting the market. Bottom line: While the Cowboys could certainly end up bringing him back, there's a decent chance Murray will be playing for a new team next season.

Taking all this into consideration, which teams might have interest in adding Murray?

1. Dallas Cowboys

We'll start with the team Murray currently plays for. As usual, the Cowboys are pinched for cap space. Meanwhile, Dez Bryant needs to be retained with either the franchise tag or a long-term deal, neither of which will be cheap. But coming off a brutal loss in Green Bay, it is clear Dallas is close to its Super Bowl goal, and with Murray in the backfield, it had one of the best offenses in football. Jerry Jones isn't afraid to take risks or live for the moment and might mortgage the salary-cap future to make a run at the Super Bowl a year from now. However, rumors of Jones' interest in Adrian Peterson -- who will likely be released by the Vikings -- make almost too much sense to ignore. Still, Dallas has to be on the top of this list.

2. Tennessee Titans

The Titans made Bishop Sankey the first running back selected in last year's NFL draft by taking him with the No. 54 overall pick. That didn't work out so well for several reasons. Shockingly, the Titans were reluctant to just hand the job over to Sankey, even late in his rookie season, when they really should have been in evaluation mode. But maybe that's all we really need to know about their feelings for Sankey, who finished the year with just 152 carries. Even entering the league, few considered Sankey a workhorse-type back. The remainder of the Tennessee depth chart is very thin. With either Zach Mettenberger or a first-round rookie quarterback likely in charge of the Titans' offense, this team absolutely will need a running game and a back such as Murray to hand the ball to over and over.

3. Oakland Raiders

No team has more cap space than the Raiders. We don't yet know who the head coach will be or what type of offensive scheme he will prefer or even how the new staff will feel about Latavius Murray, who has obvious size and great long speed for a big back, along with decent strength with the ball in his hands. The holdover Murray has had some impressive moments in very limited action but has touched the ball in the NFL fewer than 100 times, when factoring in his rushes and receptions. As in Tennessee, having a running back a young quarterback can count on would be very advantageous to Derek Carr's growth.

4. Indianapolis Colts

No team in the league needs a running back more than the Colts. Trent Richardson hasn't worked out at all, and the rest of the stable does not feature top options. A consistent running game would be the ingredient to complete Indianapolis' already impressive offense led by Andrew Luck. Now, Luck's contract will need to be addressed before long -- which will break the bank, no doubt -- but the Colts still have quite a bit of cap space to go shopping this offseason. Maybe this aggressive front office adds Murray to the mix to complete the puzzle and admits its mistake with Richardson.

5. Atlanta Falcons

Jacquizz Rodgers' contract is up, and Steven Jackson has little left in the tank and probably will not be back with Atlanta. Like some of the other situations here, we don't know what the coaching staff will be looking for at the position. Devonta Freeman runs very hard for his size and with power and is also a legitimate receiving threat. But he was the last staff's guy, has just 65 NFL carries under his belt and doesn't possess prototypical size for a No. 1 runner. The Falcons have some free-agent money to spend, and while they have more pressing needs on defense, especially with their putrid pass-rush, Atlanta might make some sense as a Murray landing spot, as the Falcons attempt to get to the top of the winnable NFC South.

6. San Diego Chargers

Donald Brown did nothing in his first year in San Diego, and Ryan Mathews' contract is set to expire. Philip Rivers is not a young man and has taken a beating behind a constantly changing offensive line the past few seasons, so the Chargers need a running game and also have some money to spend in free agency. The line needs work, and a speedster wide receiver would be a very welcome addition, but they can't count on Branden Oliver as their lead running back if they plan to get back into the playoffs. Murray would be a great guy to lean on in the near future.

7. New England Patriots

Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are free agents and might not be back. Meanwhile, the Patriots just opened up a ton of cap space by reworking Tom Brady's contract, though much of that could go to Darrelle Revis. LeGarrette Blount will return to the team next season, and he currently sits atop New England's running back depth chart, but he isn't nearly the player Murray is. It could be the point in Brady's career -- though he is still playing at a very high level -- to take some burden off his shoulders. A running game led by Murray would have the potential to do exactly that, especially if the Patriots can add some interior offensive line help. Bill Belichick and Brady might not have a lot of years left together -- why not go all-in with an aggressive move such as this?

townsend

Banned
It'd be funny if the Vikings signed him. Buffalo might be a good place for him too.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

4. Indianapolis Colts

No team in the league needs a running back more than the Colts. Trent Richardson hasn't worked out at all, and the rest of the stable does not feature top options. A consistent running game would be the ingredient to complete Indianapolis' already impressive offense led by Andrew Luck. Now, Luck's contract will need to be addressed before long -- which will break the bank, no doubt -- but the Colts still have quite a bit of cap space to go shopping this offseason. Maybe this aggressive front office adds Murray to the mix to complete the puzzle and admits its mistake with Richardson.
Uh, pretty sure they admitted their mistake with Richardson when they started Boom Herron over him and made him inactive for a playoff game. I could see Indy dropping some coin on Murray since they have some cap room.

D

Deuce

If I were Jerry, I'd franchise Murray and trade him to Minny to lock down Peterson as long as he agrees beforehand to restructure to a lower salary.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Of course not, but a 4 years and 4 mill per is exactly what I thought the money and length should be, ironically enough.

If he wasn't a fumbler, I'd be ok with 4 years at 20 million. But I'm not paying a fumbler coming off a heavy workload more than that. I'll pay AP 2 years at 12 before I pay Murray 5 mill a year.
And you also have to remember that this was his first healthy season ever.

I still find it ironic that his first healthy season just happens to come during a contract year. It makes me question not necessarily his toughness but his commitment.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Let him walk. Backs are too easy to find and his history plus the wear and tear of this season make a big investment very risky. With our line any decent RB or combination of RB's will provide all the production we need. With the cap as tight as it is we can't afford Marion Barber ver 2.0 if Murray doesn't live up to the money he's going to command.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
We've got too many guys to sign and RBs aren't that hard to come across so I'd be more focused on locking Bryant down. Dez is coming of age and has been consistently productive for a few years now while this season could very well be Murray's ceiling and who knows how many more like it, if any, he has left?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If he won't take 4/16 he can GTFO.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Coming off the season he had, $4M a year is kindof an insult. But that's fine with me as I want someone else in that spot.
He can be insulted all he wants, and then he can go find him a team willing to pay him more.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Coming off the season he had, $4M a year is kindof an insult. But that's fine with me as I want someone else in that spot.
We had to have a starting point. I'd certainly like him back, but I am curious what dollar figure he has in mind. I think Forte got 5/25 and that seems fair at this point.

Top Bottom