2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
While the SEC was down this year and not involved in the title game, Ohio St just won because Urban Meyer transformed them away from the typical Big 10 team into an SEC type team with both power and speed.
Meyer didn't really transform them at all. He is just a superior head coach. Hell Meyer didn't lose a single game the first year he coached at Ohio State. It wasn't the talent he brought in, it was a matter of taking the talent already there and getting the most out of it, which is what he does. Meyer really is a great head coach and you can see that he has a massive impact immediately at every stop he makes. To me that means it is less about talent with him and more about just being a better coach then anyone else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was the argument for why a playoff needed to happen in the first place and you saw how long it took to put that together.
It is interesting that the 4th seed in the playoff won it the first year. A 4th seed that most didn't even have making the playoffs the majority of the season. TCU could have easily made it in over them and we would be sitting here with an Oregon or Alabama as national champions right now. Or even a TCU championship.

The Big Ten won some respect with Ohio State winning the national championship. Yet if they don't make the playoffs I wonder if everyone just looks at the Big Ten as a total shit conference. I remember earlier in the year guys on ESPN claiming that Georgia would easily win the Big 10 if they were playing there instead.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is interesting that the 4th seed in the playoff won it the first year. A 4th seed that most didn't even have making the playoffs the majority of the season. TCU could have easily made it in over them and we would be sitting here with an Oregon or Alabama as national champions right now. Or even a TCU championship.

The Big Ten won some respect with Ohio State winning the national championship. Yet if they don't make the playoffs I wonder if everyone just looks at the Big Ten as a total shit conference. I remember earlier in the year guys on ESPN claiming that Georgia would easily win the Big 10 if they were playing there instead.
I think it is really cool that the fourth seed won. It legitimizes the playoffs system even more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it is really cool that the fourth seed won. It legitimizes the playoffs system even more.
I totally agree. If the top seed had just rolled through and won the national championship I'm sure some would question if the tournament is necessary.

D

Deuce

ESPN reporting that CFB is finally considering an early signing period for recruits, supposedly mid-December.

About damn time, this has been a long time coming. No more of the SEC schools lying in the weeds and waiting til Signing Day to poach solid players committed to lower schools and steer them into making a bad decision.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
ESPN reporting that CFB is finally considering an early signing period for recruits, supposedly mid-December.

About damn time, this has been a long time coming. No more of the SEC schools lying in the weeds and waiting til Signing Day to poach solid players committed to lower schools and steer them into making a bad decision.
I feel your pain but won't SEC school just do the same thing in December?

D

Deuce

I feel your pain but won't SEC school just do the same thing in December?
No. They won't throw schollies at lower level guys if they have 2 months to work on a higher rated kid. The only time they've ever stepped in and done this is when they have an unexpected flip or they missed out on a top kid on Signing Day itself.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No. They won't throw schollies at lower level guys if they have 2 months to work on a higher rated kid. The only time they've ever stepped in and done this is when they have an unexpected flip or they missed out on a top kid on Signing Day itself.
I don't know if I like this or not. Every year there are kids that emerge and blow up at the end of recruiting. An example would be this kid: http://sports.yahoo.com/texastech/football/recruiting/player-Riley-Daniel-159393

He's getting interest and offers from lots of schools right now. Last year Tech was in on a kid that was close to the same that blew up big at the end. He was a 2 star that was overlooked but came on strong at the end when folks found out about him.

You are basically signing kids that are one or two weeks off of late playoffs runs. Recruiting and visits will have to change drastically. Lots of kids can't visit during the season. That puts the school and player at a great disadvantage.

D

Deuce

I don't know if I like this or not. Every year there are kids that emerge and blow up at the end of recruiting. An example would be this kid: http://sports.yahoo.com/texastech/football/recruiting/player-Riley-Daniel-159393

He's getting interest and offers from lots of schools right now. Last year Tech was in on a kid that was close to the same that blew up big at the end. He was a 2 star that was overlooked but came on strong at the end when folks found out about him.

You are basically signing kids that are one or two weeks off of late playoffs runs. Recruiting and visits will have to change drastically. Lots of kids can't visit during the season. That puts the school and player at a great disadvantage.
Nobody is going to force the kids to sign early, it'll just be an option when the kid is serious about his commitment. IMO, it's a win-win.

Win for the program who got in early on a kid and got him to commit, no fear of him being stolen by the biggest programs when their options A-D fall through.

Win for the kid because he has a chance to secure his spot on the team. UCF doesn't do it, but lots of coaches out there have smaller ranked kids committed for some time only to pull their offer late when they start to rack up higher end kids. This prevents the coach from doing that to them.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Nobody is going to force the kids to sign early, it'll just be an option when the kid is serious about his commitment. IMO, it's a win-win.

Win for the program who got in early on a kid and got him to commit, no fear of him being stolen by the biggest programs when their options A-D fall through.

Win for the kid because he has a chance to secure his spot on the team. UCF doesn't do it, but lots of coaches out there have smaller ranked kids committed for some time only to pull their offer late when they start to rack up higher end kids. This prevents the coach from doing that to them.
Oh trust me, no coach can force a kid to sign early but if there is an opportunity you can bet there will be a tremendous amount of pressure top sign.

Another aspect of this is coaching changes. That is right around when coaches are leaving for whatever reason. It seems a little complicated.

D

Deuce

Oh trust me, no coach can force a kid to sign early but if there is an opportunity you can bet there will be a tremendous amount of pressure top sign.

Another aspect of this is coaching changes. That is right around when coaches are leaving for whatever reason. It seems a little complicated.
All those issues have to be dealt with in basketball, but their early signing period works out just fine. No reason it can't with football.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
All those issues have to be dealt with in basketball, but their early signing period works out just fine. No reason it can't with football.
We shall see. Just know that those pricks in the SEC will find a way to make life harder on everyone.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:unsure

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

:unsure
I think that tweet was two years ago.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Final AP

1. Ohio State (59 first place votes)
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama
5. Florida State
5. Michigan State
7. Baylor
8. Georgia Tech
9. Georgia
10. UCLA
11. Mississippi State
12. Arizona State
13. Wisconsin
14. Missouri
15. Clemson
16. Boise State
17. Ole Miss
18. Kansas State
19. Arizona
20. USC
21. Utah
22. Auburn
23. Marshall
24. Louisville
25. Memphis

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Ahh ok good, hopefully he has grown up since then
He had to go to prep school out of high school. Meyer stashed him away like he loves to do. I'm assuming he has grown up some but I doubt he's a book worm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom