Sherrington: Kool-Aid drinker Jerry Jones hasn't learned important football lesson

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Sherrington: Kool-Aid drinker Jerry Jones hasn't learned important football lesson
Kevin Sherrington Follow @KSherringtonDMN ksherrington@dallasnews.com
Published: 22 October 2015 01:07 PM
Updated: 22 October 2015 09:43 PM

IRVING -- As has been noted previously in this space, Jerry Jones is at heart an incurable optimist when it comes to his Cowboys. He doesn't just sell the Kool-Aid, he drinks it. And occasionally, as was the case in the Super Bowl years, his faith has been rewarded.

And then there's this season, when everything went boom.

Let's be clear: No team can afford to lose its Pro Bowl quarterback, Pro Bowl receiver or league rushing champion. But you don't have to look so clueless once you do, either.

Going into this week's game against the Giants in the Meadowlands, not only will Matt Cassel replace Brandon Weeden at quarterback, Christine Michael gets a shot at possibly chairing the running back committee. Basically, a couple of guys they pretty much picked up for peanuts during the season could beat out the incumbents.

Let that sink in a moment: The Cowboys are not only on the verge of admitting defeat in judging their backup quarterback and starting running back, they didn't even have the right guys in the house.

The receivers who came back from last season haven't exactly stepped up in Dez Bryant's absence, either. Let's not forget that the biggest play so far by any offensive player is a 67-yard reception by Brice Butler, another recent addition. The Cowboys were so desperate to add him to the mix, they activated him five days after he showed up.

And if Butler hadn't pulled a hammy on that 67-yard catch, there's no telling where might now fit in the pecking order at receiver.

While we're at it, the Cowboys have yet to fill the vacancy left in the return game by the departure of Dwayne Harris. Jason Garrett doesn't trust the rookie, Lucky Whitehead, which makes you wonder why keep him. I don't count Cole Beasley, who's basically been told to catch the ball and avoid contact at all costs. This explains his 4.3 yards per punt return, 44th in the league.

For some perspective: Philadelphia's Darren Sproles leads all qualifying punt returners at 19.9. You figure the Cowboys could use another 15 yards of field position this year?

No, there aren't many players like Sproles, but then again it doesn't seem too much to ask that a punt returner be asked to do more than just make like Delino DeShields playing centerfield.

Once again, if Tony Romo and Dez weren't hurt, some of these failures may not have been so glaring. But that's the thing about the NFL; players are always getting injured when it's most inconvenient.

Jerry's problem is he came up in a time when the best Cowboys almost never got hurt, and he's never gotten over it.

Back when the Cowboys were going to Super Bowls, Jerry could get away with Curvin Richards or Derrick Lassic or Sherman Williams as a backup running back because Emmitt Smith never came off the field. Same with Troy Aikman at quarterback and Michael Irvin at wide receiver.

Last season's surprising success led to brash characterizations of a new set of triplets: Tony Romo, Dez and DeMarco Murray, who did, indeed, bear some resemblance to their ancestors.

The biggest difference was that the first triplets represented the Cowboys' leading passer, rusher and receiver for eight straight years, by far the longest run of any threesome in Cowboys history. Jerry got so used to Aikman/Irvin/Emmitt winning games for him, he didn't bother to consider life without them.

Everyone pretty much knows Jerry's history drafting quarterbacks. Just five in a quarter-century, three in his first three seasons. He doesn't believe in investing in a position already occupied, which is how he ended up with Weeden and now Cassel.

You might recall he's not much on drafting running backs, either. Other than Emmitt, his biggest success story has been Murray. No use rehashing the decision to let him walk, a mistake by both parties. But even if you can justify the financial decision, there's no excuse for not really trying to replace him or at least add to the possibilities.

Last spring's draft was one of the deepest in years at running back, yet the Cowboys passed. I can't argue with Byron Jones in the first or Randy Gregory in the second, and La'el Collins was a free-agent steal. But it doesn't appear they got much help after the second, when there were several big, powerful backs who might have offered something in the way of Murray's style.

They could have had Florida's Matt Jones, a 6-1, 230-pounder who went in the third round to Washington, or USC's Javorius Allen, 6-0, 220, a fourth-rounder by Baltimore. Seattle signed 5-9, 215-pound Thomas Rawls as a rookie free agent, and all he's done is rush for 334 yards and a 5.7 average and render Christine Michael a trade chip to the Cowboys.

Or the Cowboys could have had Florida State's Karlos Williams, who lasted until the fifth round at 6-1, 230 pounds because he's a little new to the position and was investigated in college for domestic battery, though no charges were filed. Buffalo took a chance on him, and he's rushed for 226 yards and three touchdowns on just 42 carries, a 5.4-yard average.

Williams might have been a character risk, but the possibility has rarely stopped Jerry before.

What gives him pause above all else is the notion that everything's going to be just fine. What he's yet to learn, at least in football, is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Like now, for instance.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Kevin Sherrington Follow @KSherringtonDMN ksherrington@dallasnews.com
Published: 22 October 2015 01:07 PM
Updated: 22 October 2015 09:43 PM

IRVING -- As has been noted previously in this space, Jerry Jones is at heart an incurable optimist when it comes to his Cowboys. He doesn't just sell the Kool-Aid, he drinks it. And occasionally, as was the case in the Super Bowl years, his faith has been rewarded.

And then there's this season, when everything went boom.

Let's be clear: No team can afford to lose its Pro Bowl quarterback, Pro Bowl receiver or league rushing champion. But you don't have to look so clueless once you do, either.

Going into this week's game against the Giants in the Meadowlands, not only will Matt Cassel replace Brandon Weeden at quarterback, Christine Michael gets a shot at possibly chairing the running back committee. Basically, a couple of guys they pretty much picked up for peanuts during the season could beat out the incumbents.

Let that sink in a moment: The Cowboys are not only on the verge of admitting defeat in judging their backup quarterback and starting running back, they didn't even have the right guys in the house.

The receivers who came back from last season haven't exactly stepped up in Dez Bryant's absence, either. Let's not forget that the biggest play so far by any offensive player is a 67-yard reception by Brice Butler, another recent addition. The Cowboys were so desperate to add him to the mix, they activated him five days after he showed up.

And if Butler hadn't pulled a hammy on that 67-yard catch, there's no telling where might now fit in the pecking order at receiver.

While we're at it, the Cowboys have yet to fill the vacancy left in the return game by the departure of Dwayne Harris. Jason Garrett doesn't trust the rookie, Lucky Whitehead, which makes you wonder why keep him. I don't count Cole Beasley, who's basically been told to catch the ball and avoid contact at all costs. This explains his 4.3 yards per punt return, 44th in the league.

For some perspective: Philadelphia's Darren Sproles leads all qualifying punt returners at 19.9. You figure the Cowboys could use another 15 yards of field position this year?

No, there aren't many players like Sproles, but then again it doesn't seem too much to ask that a punt returner be asked to do more than just make like Delino DeShields playing centerfield.

Once again, if Tony Romo and Dez weren't hurt, some of these failures may not have been so glaring. But that's the thing about the NFL; players are always getting injured when it's most inconvenient.

Jerry's problem is he came up in a time when the best Cowboys almost never got hurt, and he's never gotten over it.

Back when the Cowboys were going to Super Bowls, Jerry could get away with Curvin Richards or Derrick Lassic or Sherman Williams as a backup running back because Emmitt Smith never came off the field. Same with Troy Aikman at quarterback and Michael Irvin at wide receiver.

Last season's surprising success led to brash characterizations of a new set of triplets: Tony Romo, Dez and DeMarco Murray, who did, indeed, bear some resemblance to their ancestors.

The biggest difference was that the first triplets represented the Cowboys' leading passer, rusher and receiver for eight straight years, by far the longest run of any threesome in Cowboys history. Jerry got so used to Aikman/Irvin/Emmitt winning games for him, he didn't bother to consider life without them.

Everyone pretty much knows Jerry's history drafting quarterbacks. Just five in a quarter-century, three in his first three seasons. He doesn't believe in investing in a position already occupied, which is how he ended up with Weeden and now Cassel.

You might recall he's not much on drafting running backs, either. Other than Emmitt, his biggest success story has been Murray. No use rehashing the decision to let him walk, a mistake by both parties. But even if you can justify the financial decision, there's no excuse for not really trying to replace him or at least add to the possibilities.

Last spring's draft was one of the deepest in years at running back, yet the Cowboys passed. I can't argue with Byron Jones in the first or Randy Gregory in the second, and La'el Collins was a free-agent steal. But it doesn't appear they got much help after the second, when there were several big, powerful backs who might have offered something in the way of Murray's style.

They could have had Florida's Matt Jones, a 6-1, 230-pounder who went in the third round to Washington, or USC's Javorius Allen, 6-0, 220, a fourth-rounder by Baltimore. Seattle signed 5-9, 215-pound Thomas Rawls as a rookie free agent, and all he's done is rush for 334 yards and a 5.7 average and render Christine Michael a trade chip to the Cowboys.

Or the Cowboys could have had Florida State's Karlos Williams, who lasted until the fifth round at 6-1, 230 pounds because he's a little new to the position and was investigated in college for domestic battery, though no charges were filed. Buffalo took a chance on him, and he's rushed for 226 yards and three touchdowns on just 42 carries, a 5.4-yard average.

Williams might have been a character risk, but the possibility has rarely stopped Jerry before.

What gives him pause above all else is the notion that everything's going to be just fine. What he's yet to learn, at least in football, is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Like now, for instance.
This should have been written 4 weeks ago and someparts earlier.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Spot on with everything.

For all the good things Jones does, ol' smiley the oil wildcatter can't stay out of the football side of things, and when THAT guy is making the call, bad things happen.

Letting Murray walk was stupid, but even more stupid was picking retreads like McFadden off the heap, and then not having anyone in the organization express concern that Panty Thief had never been the go to guy in the NFL. To not even ATTEMPT to take a flyer on a deep RB draft class is about as PT Barnum as it gets.

The OL is not even as close to being as dominant as was last year, and that probably has to do with Callahan, who was embarrassed by Jones and couldn't wait to get out of Dallas.

And this team has not had a dynamic return guy in years...WTF is up with that?

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Spot on with everything.

For all the good things Jones does, ol' smiley the oil wildcatter can't stay out of the football side of things, and when THAT guy is making the call, bad things happen.

Letting Murray walk was stupid, but even more stupid was picking retreads like McFadden off the heap, and then not having anyone in the organization express concern that Panty Thief had never been the go to guy in the NFL. To not even ATTEMPT to take a flyer on a deep RB draft class is about as PT Barnum as it gets.

The OL is not even as close to being as dominant as was last year, and that probably has to do with Callahan, who was embarrassed by Jones and couldn't wait to get out of Dallas.

And this team has not had a dynamic return guy in years...WTF is up with that?
Careful. You are starting to sound like me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Callahan was a big help no doubt, but Murray, Romo, and Dez were 10x as important.

When a RB makes huge plays, makes guys miss, and runs people over all on his own it not only makes you look better it inspires you to play better.

When your QB gets rid of the ball or subtly steps up to avoid the rush it makes you a better pass blocker. When he routinely makes plays it makes you find ways to hold your blocks because you know if you do that big play is coming.

If you told someone back in 1989 that Nate Newton, Kevin Gogan, and Mark Tuinei would be perennial pro-bowlers or even once make All-Pro they've have laughed in your face. That's how bad they were.

I'll say it again. No OL in the history of the league ever won shat. It's all about who you play with.

Weeden, Randle, Williams-- is there a poorer triplet combo in the league? Has there been in a long time?

You can say that anything positive we've done at all is pretty much attributable to the OL and in the first half of games to the defense too.

townsend

Banned
I can't think of a world where resigning Murray for what he made in Philly would be anything other than insane. If I had the offseason to do over again, I'd want Chris Johnson. I'd also want Cassel signed as a backup before the start of camp.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Callahan was a big help no doubt, but Murray, Romo, and Dez were 10x as important.

When a RB makes huge plays, makes guys miss, and runs people over all on his own it not only makes you look better it inspires you to play better.

When your QB gets rid of the ball or subtly steps up to avoid the rush it makes you a better pass blocker. When he routinely makes plays it makes you find ways to hold your blocks because you know if you do that big play is coming.

If you told someone back in 1989 that Nate Newton, Kevin Gogan, and Mark Tuinei would be perennial pro-bowlers or even once make All-Pro they've have laughed in your face. That's how bad they were.

I'll say it again. No OL in the history of the league ever won shat. It's all about who you play with.

Weeden, Randle, Williams-- is there a poorer triplet combo in the league? Has there been in a long time?

You can say that anything positive we've done at all is pretty much attributable to the OL and in the first half of games to the defense too.
The OL looked weaker this year when Romo was playing. The just are not in sync with the system yet. If they are less effective because of Randle what are they going to do with Michael coming in?

townsend

Banned
The OL looked weaker this year when Romo was playing. The just are not in sync with the system yet. If they are less effective because of Randle what are they going to do with Michael coming in?
I think the line would be doing far better in a vertical passing, power running offense. I think we're asking a line that's really good at mauling to play with a lot of finesse.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think the line would be doing far better in a vertical passing, power running offense. I think we're asking a line that's really good at mauling to play with a lot of finesse.
No doubt. To me a lot of the offenses problems could be resolved with a vertical passing game.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

I'd agree with you if the pass protection wasn't bad along with the running game.

Sorry, I just see regression in the OL, and it was there with Romo in the lineup.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd agree with you if the pass protection wasn't bad along with the running game.
There were so many times when Romo avoided a rush in spite of breakdowns in protection. You aren't going to have five blockers executing perfectly on every play not to mention the people they are blocking are paid too.

The QB has to help his line by shifting around the pocket and buying time.

The running game has to pose a threat to prevent the DL from pinning its ears.

An instinctive QB has been missing the last three weeks. The running game has been missing all year, except early in the Giants and Falcons games.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The QB has to help his line by shifting around the pocket and buying time.

The running game has to pose a threat to prevent the DL from pinning its ears.
Romo was also back to his old habit of running the clock down on every play which does the OL no favors. Alot of that probably is he knows the running game is nowhere close to what we had last year but sometimes you just need to run the damn play

townsend

Banned
Romo was also back to his old habit of running the clock down on every play which does the OL no favors. Alot of that probably is he knows the running game is nowhere close to what we had last year but sometimes you just need to run the damn play
Yeah, I feel like that's why the offense looked a little better in Philly when Romo went out. There were a few series where we caught their defense before they could settle in.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
4/5 of the OL missed at least some (well, actually, a lot) a practice in the preseason so the fact that they came out of the gate slow should have been expected... not having Romo/Dez compounded the situation. If the wheels did not fall off after the first two games, this offense should be running on all cylinders right about now. Shit, if we had those guys, we would probably be 5-0 right now. If our offense had shown any life, there was a good chance we could have beaten the Patriots... with Dez and Romo, we would have moved the ball, scored points and taken time off the clock, then Brady would not have had all the time he did to dink and dunk our defense to death.

I do not think Cassel is our savior, but if he could just make defenses think we're going downfield, it may just open things up for the running game. Our defense looked like world beaters in the first half vs New England, if our offense can just give them some support over the next couple of games, it may very well save our season.

Top Bottom