Giants Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys looking for validation after bye week

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Early or late, the bye week usually comes at a good time. For the Dallas Cowboys, the Week 6 bye came at a really good time because it means one less week they have to play without Dez Bryant and Tony Romo.

While Jason Garrett believes it is too early to look at the standings, it’s never too early when a team has a three-game losing streak, will be making a quarterback change, and will be switching things up at offensive line and possibly running back.

The Cowboys’ coaches return to work today, followed by the players on Tuesday as the preparation for the New York Giants begins.

It was good for the Cowboys that the Washington Redskins lost. The Giants and Philadelphia Eagles play on ESPN’s “Monday Night Football,” with an argument that either team losing will be good for the Cowboys. An Eagles loss might be better -- they would fall to 0-3 in the division -- with the Cowboys able to go for the season sweep of New York in Week 7 at MetLife Stadium.

A year ago, the Cowboys were 4-1 and had an established identity with the running game, led by DeMarco Murray, and an opportunistic defense. But they needed a massive comeback against the St. Louis Rams and overtime to beat the Houston Texans, so they were not as dominating as their 12-4 final record would have indicated.

This year, the Cowboys are 2-3 and haven’t won a game since losing Romo in the Week 2 win at the Eagles. They had chances to beat the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints, but failed.

To break the slide, the Cowboys have made changes.

Matt Cassel will make his Cowboys debut at quarterback against the Giants. La'el Collins will start at left guard. Christine Michael will see a larger role at running back than he has had in the first five games of the season.

"I mean, it's weird, but I don't feel like anything is falling apart,” defensive end Jeremy Mincey said. “I just think right now we're a little discombobulated, but I think we will get it together with this group of men. It's still the same guys. Bend but don't break. We're just a little wounded right now, but the wounds will heal. Once we get those wounds healed, we'll be right back to where we need to be."

Discombobulated is an apt description. The Cowboys were built to win on their running game and have yet to have a 100-yard rusher. They have 269 fewer yards on the ground than they had through five games last year.

Hence the thought that Michael will get more work.

The lack of a consistent running game has hurt the passing game. Through five games last year the Cowboys had 12 pass plays of at least 20 yards. This year they have 10. Last year, Romo had nine touchdown passes through five games. This year they have five.

Hence the change to Cassel.

“When a backup player goes in, it’s his responsibility to step into that role and do the same things,” Garrett said. “And especially when you’re a quarterback. You have to lead the team. That’s a big part of the job. You have to get people to respond around you. Brandon did that to a certain extent. Expect Matt to do the same thing. That’s part of the job. You do your job. You’re one-eleventh of the offense, but you have a positive impact on the other guys on the offense and the other guys on the team. Tony’s done that for a long time around here. That’s what our expectation is for the quarterbacks who do play.”

On defense, the Cowboys had nine takeaways in their first five games last year. This year they have three takeaways this season and none in the last three games.

Hence the hope that the more Greg Hardy and Rolando McClain play, the more the takeaways will reappear.

The Miami Dolphins made a coaching change during the bye week, firing Joe Philbin and naming former Cowboys tight end Dan Campbell the interim coach. On Sunday, the Dolphins beat the Tennessee Titans, 38-10, validating the change, at least for a week.

The Cowboys could use a similar validation after their bye week.

Cotton

Staff member
The Dez Watch will be on this week

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Welcome to the Dez Watch.

That’s what this week will become for the Dallas Cowboys as they return from their bye week to get ready for Sunday’s game against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium.

All along this was the early part of the target date for Dez Bryant’s return from a broken right foot suffered in the season opener against the Giants.

Bryant had surgery to repair a broken fifth metatarsal in his right foot on Sept. 14. Bryant had a bone graft accompanied by the screw inserted into his foot to help with the healing process. Less than two weeks ago Bryant had stem cells taken from his hip and injected into his foot to help make the bone “sounder,” according to owner general manager Jerry Jones.

Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas last week, executive vice president Stephen Jones said it is a possibility Bryant will play against New York, but “I don’t know if I would put the word ‘strong,’ in front of it.”

For the first time since the surgery Bryant made an appearance on the practice field during the portion of practice open to the media last Thursday. He did not practice, but he went through resistance training with associate athletic trainer/director of rehabilitation Britt Brown.

As he walked through the locker room after the session, Bryant did not promise he would be able play against the Giants. His only promise was that he was trying to get his foot, “right.”

“He’s making progress,” coach Jason Garrett said.

That’s a vague description, of course. It’s only natural Bryant will make progress as time passes. He has gone from running on the anti-gravity treadmill to doing some running on the practice field. He will have to make more progress during the week as well.

He will have to practice in order to play against the Giants.

“You want to be able to test it on the practice field and see how he responds physically to the work,” Garrett said last week. “There are different kinds of injuries but certainly his would be one where you want to see him on the practice field running around and see how he handles it.”

The Cowboys have to remember Bryant has not played a lot of football since last January. He missed almost all of the offseason conditioning program, awaiting for a long-term contract over the franchise tag. He did not practice in the June minicamp either.

He signed a five-year, $70 million deal on July 15 and was on the field for the first day of training camp. But a hamstring strain early in camp kept him out of all the preseason games and half of the practices.

He caught five passes for 48 yards against the Giants in the season opener but needed intravenous fluids before breaking his foot.

The Cowboys won without Bryant that night but have not won without Tony Romo, who broke his collarbone in the Week 2 win against the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Cowboys cannot be pressured into playing Bryant before he is ready even with their three-game losing streak. They guaranteed Bryant $45 million with that contract in July with the big picture in mind. That means 2016-18 is more important than a Week 6 game against the Giants even if the small-picture view might say otherwise.

Either way, the Dez Watch is on.

dallen

Senior Tech
Somebody's an eager beaver

Cotton

Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
:towel

Looking forward to lots of sadEli-face this Sunday.

townsend

Banned
This game is pretty much the season for me. We lose here, we're in Giants rear view mirror for the rest of 2015.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This game is pretty much the season for me. We lose here, we're in Giants rear view mirror for the rest of 2015.
I think it depends. If the Giants win tonight, I agree we don't want 2-4 having split with the 5-2 Giants.

However, if the Giants lose tonight, the eagles game becomes the must win.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it depends. If the Giants win tonight, I agree we don't want 2-4 having split with the 5-2 Giants.

It may be easier to beat the Eagles than to shut down the Giants. I just don't want them to start gaining momentum.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Even then I wouldn't say the Eagles is a must win if they lose to the Panthers next week after winning tonight.

Even if we lost to the Giants next week in that scenario they'd be 4-3, the Eagles 3-4 and we'd be 2-4. Not a good situation, but just a game back in the loss column.

Bottom line is we have to be 4-5 when Romo gets back, assuming he only misses 7 games, no matter who those 2 wins come against. If we're 4-5 I can't really see a realistic scenario where anybody has run away from us. Even if the Giants win tonight and beat us next week, I'd expect us to still be no more 2 games behind them with 4 or 5 to go, and that's in a best case scenario for them. This is assuming we can beat both the Dolphins and Panthers with Romo of course.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I have no fear whatsoever of Sam Bradford and Chip Kelly.

But you must keep Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin down.

So Giants need to lose tonight.

Only downside is they will then view the game vs. Dallas as a must win.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no fear whatsoever of Sam Bradford and Chip Kelly.

But you must keep Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin down.

So Giants need to lose tonight.

Only downside is they will then view the game vs. Dallas as a must win.
Especially since the way for us to beat the Giants is always to score more points then them. With Romo out that's going to be an uphill battle that we probably lose. The Eagles on the other hand our defense has shown the ability to completely shut down their offense. Which means we have a chance against them even with a shit QB.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Barely even touched him.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
If Gregory isn't fully healed then I doubt we'll get much from him. His speed around the edge will be gone. And we know how high ankle sprains suck.

Top Bottom