Machota: Jerry - Cassel will take more chances, and that could lead to more turnovers

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Matt Cassel will take more chances, and that could lead to more turnovers

By Jon Machota
Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Jason Garrett and the Cowboys coaching staff decided Matt Cassel would be the team's new starting quarterback.

On Friday, Jerry Jones shared his thoughts on the move for the first time.

The Cowboys owner and general manager was asked on his weekly radio interview if the Cowboys offense will be better now that Cassel is behind center.

"I think that Matt gives us the -- I want to say the experience which leads to his confidence," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan's G-Bag Nation show [KRLD-FM]. "And there's no question that he approaches the huddle, his body language, his demeanor has the feel of someone that's played the numbers of games and competed in the NFL the way he has."

Cassel, who is 34-38 as a starting QB, is replacing Brandon Weeden, who was unable to lead the Cowboys to a victory in his three starts since Tony Romo went down in Week 2.

"I think he's also got experience in basically just stepping up in the pocket and making some plays," Jones said of Cassel. "Now, he will, with that experience though, do something that Weeden was not doing. Weeden was so conservative, he was coached to be conservative to a degree, but he was not taking chances with that ball. Now, we know you can't make some plays if you don't take some chances. So, we'll see more of that. We could see the risk of that hit us a little bit, but hopefully we'll be getting our share of them over on defense with this group we've got."

In 90 career games, Cassel has thrown 96 touchdowns and 70 interceptions.

Top Bottom