Werder: Cassell to start vs. NYG

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cassel has been much better than Weeden over their respective NFL careers. If he also gets Dez back to work with, he should at least be serviceable. Assuming Romo returns for the Dolphins game, I can see Cassel going 2-2 or even 3-1 over the next four games.
If they don't get Bryant back or tweak the offense any, 1-3 is way more likely.

townsend

Banned
Now we can suck with a handsome QB. Thank God, I was sick of looking at Weedens dumb face, he looks all swollen, like he just got stung by a bee.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

This has been my point ever since we traded for him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Except they knew what they had in Weeden and they knew all along cassel would play.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Wouldn't that kind of be the justification for all draft picks? Regardless of what round you take a player in, you'd like them to play at some point.

Cotton

Staff member
Except they knew what they had in Weeden and they knew all along cassel would play.
Point was as long as they had plans for him starting while Romo was out it was worth the pick. If it was to sit behind Weeden it was a gross misuse of said pick.

Genghis Khan

Point was as long as they had plans for him starting while Romo was out it was worth the pick. If it was to sit behind Weeden it was a gross misuse of said pick.
I don't think sitting behind Weeden the whole time was ever the plan.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think sitting behind Weeden the whole time was ever the plan.
So, it took him 5 weeks to get ready? Maybe so, but as long as they are benching Weeden now that's all that matters.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Charley Casserly @CharleyCasserly
.@dallascowboys Weeden-1st 3 plays vs Pats left 62 y on the field by being late with ball, inaccurate & holding ball.Too many dump offs too

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So, it took him 5 weeks to get ready? Maybe so, but as long as they are benching Weeden now that's all that matters.
5 weeks? We traded for him 3 weeks ago. If we had a game today, he'd be starting.

Cotton

Staff member
5 weeks? We traded for him 3 weeks ago. If we had a game today, he'd be starting.
We had a game two days ago and he didn't. So, at least 4 weeks, and factoring in part of the decision might be that we have the bye week, 5.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We had a game two days ago and he didn't. So, at least 4 weeks, and factoring in part of the decision might be that we have the bye week, 5.
He was traded for on the 22nd. We then had a game on the 27th, the 4th, and the 11th. That's three, no matter how you want to try and count it.

The 22nd of Sept. Today is the 13th of Oct. That's 21 days. Again.... Three weeks.

Cotton

Staff member
He was traded for on the 22nd. We then had a game on the 27th, the 4th, and the 11th. That's three, no matter how you want to try and count it.

The 22nd of Sept. Today is the 13th of Oct. That's 21 days. Again.... Three weeks.
He isn't starting today. Even if we had a game this weekend, it would be 4 weeks. But, since we don't, it's 5. No matter how you want to try and count it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He isn't starting today. Even if we had a game this weekend, it would be 4 weeks. But, since we don't, it's 5. No matter how you want to try and count it.
:lol

If you say so.

Genghis Khan

Putting the semantics of how long it'll be aside, yeah he didn't have the benefit of training camp so it takes a few weeks to get acclimated. In the meantime Weeden gets a few starts to prove himself. He didn't, and I think it ended up pretty much how they expected.

Remember, they kicked the tires on a couple backup QBs in the off-season, and when Romo went down, they immediately traded for Cassel. All of this suggests pretty strongly that they didn't really believe in Weeden.

Remember also that when they signed Weeden, Orton was supposed to be 2nd string. Orton's holdout forced Weeden into a bigger role than was originally intended.

Now, you could make the argument that if they didn't believe in Weeden they should have signed someone else this past off-season. And you'd be right, but that's a different discussion.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cassel wasn't on anyone's radar until Romo sent down. Had that not happened he would be sitting on someone else's bench.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't expect Cassel to roll in and be all world but three uninspiring games is enough of a sample size to try someone else other than Weeden. I don't need to see the second coming of (Regular season) Peyton Manning, just someone who can manage the game *and* keep defenses honest. If we can keep pace with the rest of the division until Romo returns, we should still have a shot.

If Cassel doesn't pan out, well, that's probably it for this season.
We're not looking for an All Pro here. If we can even get 2003 Quincy Carter that would be an improvement over Weeden.

data

Forbes #1
Next year Weeden will be more comfortable with this offense. Might run a slant.

Top Bottom