Werder: Cassell to start vs. NYG

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 6m6 minutes ago
Source says Brandon Weeden has been informed by #Cowboys coaches the team will start Matt Cassel after the bye week vs #Giants

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Might as well, I doubt Cassell will give us much better than about 200-250 yards per game and a 1:1 TD:INT ratio but there is no way he can possibly be worse than Weeden.

5 3 and out's in 6 drives?

Give me a break.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Might as well, I doubt Cassell will give us much better than about 200-250 yards per game and a 1:1 TD:INT ratio but there is no way he can possibly be worse than Weeden.

5 3 and out's in 6 drives?

Give me a break.
That was just ridiculous. Something had to change.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That was just ridiculous. Something had to change.
blows my mind we had the gall to roll with Weeden. He's beyond pathetic. Cassell has to be
markedly better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
blows my mind we had the gall to roll with Weeden. He's beyond pathetic. Cassell has to be
markedly better.
If the offensive structure and playcalling is as demented as it has been under Weeden, not necessarily.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
markedly better.
Weeden's a fine backup (you won't find much better out there on average), but multi-game starters need to have proven they can win. That's why I never got why teams paid big for Matt Flynn to be their day one starter.

Guys like Hasselbeck and Vick are out there winning key games.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Weeden's a fine backup (you won't find much better out there on average), but multi-game starters need to have proven they can win. That's why I never got why teams paid big for Matt Flynn to be their day one starter.

Guys like Hasselbeck and Vick are out there winning key games.
Uhhh, no. He's not a "fine" backup. If you can't count on him to run a dumbed down version of your offense, he's not even close to "fine". Unless of course you think missing wide open receivers and looking for the checkdown 95% of the time as "fine".

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't expect Cassel to roll in and be all world but three uninspiring games is enough of a sample size to try someone else other than Weeden. I don't need to see the second coming of (Regular season) Peyton Manning, just someone who can manage the game *and* keep defenses honest. If we can keep pace with the rest of the division until Romo returns, we should still have a shot.

If Cassel doesn't pan out, well, that's probably it for this season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If the offensive structure and playcalling is as demented as it has been under Weeden, not necessarily.
Yep. That's the side of this debacle that has me scratching my head as well. Cassell cannot do anything different until the structure of the offense is retooled. There will have to be a way of getting the opponents defense to back off their run stacked schemes and that can only be done with down the field passing. That cannot be done with current personnel. Either Bryant will have to comeback to the lineup or someone will have to augment Williams with the verticals game. That's the long and short of it.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I'm really excited to see what Cassel can do. He's got two really good seasons of football to his name, surrounded by a bunch of seasons of total shit. We'll see which version we get, but all he needs to do is keep us afloat.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Uhhh, no. He's not a "fine" backup. If you can't count on him to run a dumbed down version of your offense, he's not even close to "fine". Unless of course you think missing wide open receivers and looking for the checkdown 95% of the time as "fine".
I'll take that from a backup who I only expect to play in short stretches. He's the guy who closes up after the main surgeon finishes a quad bypass.

Looking around the league... there's nobody after a few decent ones. Hasselbeck, Sanchez, Vick... anyone else? And even those guys are limited. Who knows how Jimmy Garoppolo's going to play in an actual game.

So Weeden's a fine BACKUP... by league standards.

He can't create and win games and needs the team to be strong enough to rally around him. Jason Garrett was the same way.

This team ain't strong enough to win without Romo, even if Dez plays, and especially without a running back like DeMarco was in 2014.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, this basically means it is Cassel or bust until the Miami game or whenever Romo is cleared.

It is not like Weeden is going to make a triumphant return. Might as well just give Moore the next shot if Cassel sucks too.

In the way Parcells used to say, they have "lost" the player, okay?

Not that it matters though.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Cassel has been much better than Weeden over their respective NFL careers. If he also gets Dez back to work with, he should at least be serviceable. Assuming Romo returns for the Dolphins game, I can see Cassel going 2-2 or even 3-1 over the next four games.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Weeden's a piece of shit. The definition of a fine backup has really fallen.

Oh, and Jason Garrett would certainly not be mistaken as a starting caliber QB. But he'd at least throw the fucking ball down field. Stupid comparison.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Weeden's a piece of shit. The definition of a fine backup has really fallen.

Oh, and Jason Garrett would certainly not be mistaken as a starting caliber QB. But he'd at least throw the fucking ball down field. Stupid comparison.
Well, the definition of NFL starting quarterback has really fallen as well... sooo, I guess this also follows?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:towel

Top Bottom