The Minimum Wage Debate

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Both. The department I'm in at Tech, though, is self-sustaining. We don't get any funds from the University.
Then i am confused. Is your retirement and payroll seperate or the same? My payroll was with the agency but my retirement was w i th the federal employees system.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh well it doesnt matter. I am detracting from the topic.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Then i am confused. Is your retirement and payroll seperate or the same? My payroll was with the agency but my retirement was w i th the federal employees system.
My retirement is with TRS, the state teacher's retirement system. My payroll comes from the department I work for, not the University. I work for Transportation and parking and our revenue is generated by parking fees and the student transportation fee. We don't see any state tax money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My retirement is with TRS, the state teacher's retirement system. My payroll comes from the department I work for, not the University. I work for Transportation and parking and our revenue is generated by parking fees and the student transportation fee. We don't see any state tax money.
Thanks. So to get back on track, any unmechanized cotton pickers left in Lubbock?

Cotton

Staff member
Thanks. So to get back on track, any unmechanized cotton pickers left in Lubbock?
Nah, there are still some unmechanized weed choppers, but all of the cotton is pulled by strippers. (the non-human kind)

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Problem isn't minimum wage. It's too many people at this minimum wage level. We need to figure something out to reduce the numbers of this group - willing to listen to mandated birth control that's reversible or reduced minimum health care for those that can't afford it to naturally weed out the weak.
You mean like an all expense paid one way trip to somewhere?

jeebs

Brand New Member
Even then you can't paint the difference between the two with such a broad brush. My job is not funded by any tax dollars at all.
Having a a guaranteed captive economic "rent", that is the same as taxes.

Cotton

Staff member
Having a a guaranteed captive economic "rent", that is the same as taxes.
I don't agree with that. They are paying tuition to go to school. It's a payment for services rendered.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I don't agree with that. They are paying tuition to go to school. It's a payment for services rendered.
You said you were paid out of parking and fines, of government property.

Also, even if what you say is correct, it does not mean you have the same economic pressures as the public sector, especially as your organization has little to no profit motive.

Cotton

Staff member
You said you were paid out of parking and fines, of government property.

Also, even if what you say is correct, it does not mean you have the same economic pressures as the public sector, especially as your organization has little to no profit motive.
We pay back almost a million a year to the University. If anything we are paying back into the system instead of taking.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, and our equipment isn't govt funded either.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Problem isn't minimum wage. It's too many people at this minimum wage level. We need to figure something out to reduce the numbers of this group - willing to listen to mandated birth control that's reversible or reduced minimum health care for those that can't afford it to naturally weed out the weak.
We hurt ourselves by becoming consumers and no longer producers. We now suck at making things. It is really sad.

Newt

DCC 4Life
One word for the tone of this thread: sanctimonious.
Why's that? I don't really see it that way. I don't think I'm better than anyone, by far. In fact, 99% of people can do my job. I don't think many people want to take on the responsibility though.

I assume you are on the other end of the spectrum from me, that's why I started this thread, enlighten me. Seriously.

Cotton

Staff member
Top Bottom