Archer: Jason Garrett: Cowboys' quarterback position up for evaluation

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett: Cowboys' quarterback position up for evaluation

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas – Jason Garrett was succinct when asked if he will reevaluate who will be the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys’ next game on Oct. 25 against the New York Giants.

“Yes,” Garrett said.

The Cowboys failed to score a touchdown in a game for the first time since Week 3 of the 2011 season, when they beat the Washington Redskins on six Dan Bailey field goals. The Cowboys also put up season lows in yards (264) and first downs (18) in Sunday's 30-6 loss to the New England Patriots.

Weeden completed 26 of 39 passes for 188 yards. He was intercepted once and sacked three times.

“Brandon didn’t play well enough,” Garrett said. “We didn’t play well enough. We’re going to watch the tape and evaluate each guy and each unit to see how we can play better. That’s just the process we go through each week. Ultimately, we didn’t score enough points. Brandon was a part of that, but everybody else was a part of it too.”

The Cowboys do not play again until Oct. 25. They will practice Wednesday and Thursday and then be off through the weekend.

Matt Cassel served as Weeden’s backup against the Patriots after being inactive in his first two games since a trade from the Buffalo Bills.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he believed Cassel would be ready if the team turned to him but added, “I think we’re a long way from being able to decide to do that. I don’t in any way want to imply that we will consider that or do that.”

But Jones also acknowledged the Cowboys have time before they start preparing for the Giants.

The offensive issues are not Weeden’s alone, but the quarterback is forced to accept the bulk of the blame in a three-game losing streak, as much as he would get the bulk of the credit for a three-game win streak.

“It sucks, to be honest, but you can't control that,” Weeden said. “I can only control going out there and executing. I don’t know. It's frustrating. Like I said, I feel like I came in against Philly, I was prepared, I was ready. I thought I played well against Atlanta. We just couldn't get it down offensively in the second half. [Against] New Orleans, I made a drive at the end of the game to give us a chance to win. We never got the ball back."

Weeden continued and lamented his typical bad luck.

“Norv Turner [Weeden's offensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns] told me a long time ago when we were sitting in the quarterback meeting, he said, ‘Brandon, I don't know what you have done to whoever, but you've got the worst luck of any player I have been around.’ I have, ever since I was a little kid. I don't know what I did. But it is what it is. I'm never going to lose confidence in my ability. I wouldn't be here and put in this position if I couldn't play this position.”

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

100 RTs and 3 Favs.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I just added RT #101, I don't even want to see Weeden in uniform, let alone on the field. He had his chance and hasn't gotten it done.

Does he go through check downs? Sure. He starts five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, checks down to three yards beyond the line of scrimmage, then the line of scrimmage, then the backfield.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Gotta go with Cassel after the bye. We all know that Weeden sucks. Cassel may be just as bad but we've got nothing to lose at this point. If we had a solid running game and defense we could've probably weathered the storm, but RB by committee was iffy before and definitely isn't going to cut it now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Gotta go with Cassel after the bye. We all know that Weeden sucks. Cassel may be just as bad but we've got nothing to lose at this point. If we had a solid running game and defense we could've probably weathered the storm, but RB by committee was iffy before and definitely isn't going to cut it now.
Wouldn't hurt to chance up something but if the coaching staff uses the same approach to game plans it won't make any difference. The game plan has been hamstrung because Dallas simply does not have a deep threat receiver that can scare defenses. Williams just can't run a route and get any seperation. Until that changes it won't matter who is playing QB.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys QB decision will define season in Tony Romo's absence

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- At 4 p.m. ET today, Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is scheduled to hold his day-after-game news conference. Undoubtedly questions about the quarterback will be at the top of the list.

After Sunday’s 30-6 loss to the New England Patriots, Garrett said the position will be evaluated during the bye week to determine who starts Oct. 25 against the New York Giants between Brandon Weeden or Matt Cassel.

Most of the reactions have fallen into three categories.

Would that make a difference?

Hard to say. The Cowboys are limited offensively without Dez Bryant and Lance Dunbar. The running game has not been productive enough. The outside receivers, Terrance Williams and Devin Street, have not won enough. When they have won, Weeden has elected the safer route.

Can Cassel, who has a 33-38 record as a starter, throw Williams open? Maybe but he can’t know the offense so well to get the Cowboys in and out of the right plays depending on defensive looks. But he has 96 career touchdown passes to 70 interceptions.

Cassel couldn’t possibly be any worse

That should not be how a decision is ultimately made. Garrett likes to take the emotion out of any and all decisions he makes. It’s highly unlikely he will make a proclamation today on the starter against the Giants.

But the decision to make a change should not be based on, "Well, the other guy can’t be worse." It has to be, "The other guy is better."

I told you so

The mere fact Weeden was on the roster in 2014 upset a lot of people. The fact that the Cowboys did not address their backup quarterback position in free agency was upsetting. The fact that they chose not to draft a quarterback for the future was upsetting, even if a rookie had little chance of helping in 2015.

The I-told-you-so crowd ignored the good Weeden did in his first two starts and his relief appearance against the Philadelphia Eagles. He wasn’t spectacular but he wasn’t awful, either. With an 0-3 record as the starter this season, however, nothing will drown out the I-told-you-so crowd.

In 2008, Romo missed three games with a broken pinkie finger. Brad Johnson started all three games but the offense was abysmal. The Cowboys gained 172 yards in their only win without Romo -- 13-9 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

As they entered a Week 10 meeting with the Giants, they toyed with the idea of starting Brooks Bollinger but stayed with Johnson. In the first half, Johnson completed 5 of 11 passes for 71 yards and was intercepted twice. Bollinger started the second half and his first pass was intercepted. New York turned the takeaway into a touchdown less than two minutes into the third quarter for a 28-7 lead.

For the Cowboys to make the move to Cassel, it has to be about what he is, not what Weeden isn’t.

There is no way of knowing for sure Cassel will be better and the offense will improve, but these are the tough decisions Garrett has to make.

The season is on the line.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Wouldn't hurt to chance up something but if the coaching staff uses the same approach to game plans it won't make any difference. The game plan has been hamstrung because Dallas simply does not have a deep threat receiver that can scare defenses. Williams just can't run a route and get any seperation. Until that changes it won't matter who is playing QB.
I agree. No NFL caliber backup QB, no running game and no legit WR behind Dez. I guess after TE/LB/CB we now know where to spend resources next offseason.

dallen

Senior Tech
I have no interest in watching Weeden play another down.

Cotton

Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If Cassel isn't given a shot against NY, the coaches and front office are criminally stupid. The only loyalty they owe to Weeden is based on the W/L column and if they're really worried about the Super Bowl window closing, they will do whatever it takes to keep it open. That means moving away from Weeden, whether they like it or not.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If Cassel isn't given a shot against NY, the coaches and front office are criminally stupid. The only loyalty they owe to Weeden is based on the W/L column and if they're really worried about the Super Bowl window closing, they will do whatever it takes to keep it open. That means moving away from Weeden, whether they like it or not.
I think Cassel will be the guy. Once the coach starts talking about it, it's pretty much inevitable.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It is just as criminal that the chick playing RB isn't being given more opportunities.

dallen

Senior Tech
If we do not make the switch to Cassell now then I have to wonder what the point of trading for him in the first place was.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm happy that it sounds like they are leaning towards Cassel for the Guard game but I'm actually still pissed that they didn't put Cassel in during the 2nd half yesterday.

Matt Stafford who is infinitely better than Weeden, was benched for poor play yesterday. The Lions pulled him with 9 minutes left in the 3rd qtr.

That's a fairly ballsy move for a mild mannered coach like Caldwell.

Not sure why Garrett felt the need to ride things out with Mr. Three and Out.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'm happy that it sounds like they are leaning towards Cassel for the Guard game but I'm actually still pissed that they didn't put Cassel in during the 2nd half yesterday.

Matt Stafford who is infinitely better than Weeden, was benched for poor play yesterday. The Lions pulled him with 9 minutes left in the 3rd qtr.

I thought the same thing. Give him a chance to knock a little rust off once it was clear the game was lost

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm just saying...Cassel is handsome, give.the ladies what they want.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It is just as criminal that the chick playing RB isn't being given more opportunities.
Yep, especially since we want to run up the gut so much. He's the only RB we have that has the build and ability to achieve that with any regularity. Neither Randal or Birdy Legs are between the tackles types of runners unless there's a gaping hole, which have been few and far between since Romo went down.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Yep, especially since we want to run up the gut so much. He's the only RB we have that has the build and ability to achieve that with any regularity. Neither Randal or Birdy Legs are between the tackles types of runners unless there's a gaping hole, which have been few and far between since Romo went down.
I was astounded that he ran for 6 yards and they never put him in the game again.

Up until this game you could say that Weeden wasn't winning us games(other than the wasted effort against New Orleans) but he wasn't losing them for us either. He looked completely lost against the Patriots.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I don't know either but my guess is he isn't real comfortable with Cassell either. I hope this situation gets better quick or we can flush the season. Bryants return is more critical than a QB change.

Top Bottom