Archer: Return of Rolando McClain has Anthony Hitchens in new spot

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Return of Rolando McClain has Anthony Hitchens in new spot

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – If Anthony Hitchens played baseball, he would have a utility title. He can do just about anything.

For the Dallas Cowboys, Hitchens is listed as a linebacker, and at different times this season he has played middle linebacker and weakside linebacker. He has played in the nickel package and even the dime package.

With the return of Rolando McClain from a four-game suspension, Hitchens is expected to slide over to strongside linebacker.

As a rookie, Hitchens started 11 games. Seven came at weakside linebacker, three came at middle linebacker and one came at strongside linebacker.

“[McClain] is one of our best defenders, so he’s probably going to be back in the middle,” Hitchens said. “I’ve just got to be ready to go at all the positions once again and go back to my [strongside] rules again. I just got to go back to my books and get to studying again.”

When Sean Lee was lost in the first half of last Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints, Hitchens took over as the defensive signal-caller. He played 69 of the 72 defensive snaps, a season-high. In the previous week against the Atlanta Falcons, he played 63 snaps. In the first two games, he played 86 of 123 snaps.

With the return of McClain, Hitchens' playing time should decrease if McClain assumes a three-down role. Sunday’s foe, the New England Patriots, spreads the field, so the Cowboys will be in their sub packages a lot more.

Regardless, Hitchens knows he will have to be ready for everything.

“The good thing about me [is] it happened to me last year before and I switched a little here and there in camp,” Hitchens said. “I should be all right.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Return of Rolando McClain has Anthony Hitchens in new spot

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – If Anthony Hitchens played baseball, he would have a utility title. He can do just about anything.

For the Dallas Cowboys, Hitchens is listed as a linebacker, and at different times this season he has played middle linebacker and weakside linebacker. He has played in the nickel package and even the dime package.

With the return of Rolando McClain from a four-game suspension, Hitchens is expected to slide over to strongside linebacker.

As a rookie, Hitchens started 11 games. Seven came at weakside linebacker, three came at middle linebacker and one came at strongside linebacker.

“[McClain] is one of our best defenders, so he’s probably going to be back in the middle,” Hitchens said. “I’ve just got to be ready to go at all the positions once again and go back to my [strongside] rules again. I just got to go back to my books and get to studying again.”

When Sean Lee was lost in the first half of last Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints, Hitchens took over as the defensive signal-caller. He played 69 of the 72 defensive snaps, a season-high. In the previous week against the Atlanta Falcons, he played 63 snaps. In the first two games, he played 86 of 123 snaps.

With the return of McClain, Hitchens' playing time should decrease if McClain assumes a three-down role. Sunday’s foe, the New England Patriots, spreads the field, so the Cowboys will be in their sub packages a lot more.

Regardless, Hitchens knows he will have to be ready for everything.

“The good thing about me [is] it happened to me last year before and I switched a little here and there in camp,” Hitchens said. “I should be all right.”
Hitchens Lee and McClain. I'm going to enjoy this while I can. I'm excited to see all three guys on the field.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hitchens Lee and McClain. I'm going to enjoy this while I can. I'm excited to see all three guys on the field.
Yep, me too. There will be bodies flying all over the field.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Is Gregory gonna be back, too?

Oh, that front 7 gonna be vicious.

:jerry

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is Gregory gonna be back, too?

Oh, that front 7 gonna be vicious.

:jerry
I think Gregory is going to be after the bye week and I have no faith that we won't have another serious injury against the Patriots.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I think Gregory is going to be after the bye week and I have no faith that we won't have another serious injury against the Patriots.
You mean we're gonna get Gronk'd?

Run over by the Gronka Truck? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Hardy's gonna take Brady out of his game and take Tom's sister-in-law home afterwards to check out his new futon.

dallen

Senior Tech
By then Lee should be done for the season

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think McClain will play sparingly. I doubt he's in shape to play a bunch.

Plus the Patriots don't run the ball enough to justify him being on the field a lot.

Top Bottom