One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys know they must start faster vs. Packers
January, 7, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In the final month of the regular season, the Dallas Cowboys started games fast.

After failing to score on their first two drives Dec. 4 against the Chicago Bears, they scored on seven straight possessions. They scored on their first three possessions against the Philadelphia Eagles, and their first four against the Indianapolis Colts. Against the Washington Redskins, they scored on their first five possessions.

Defensively, they gave up just seven points in the first quarters of those games.

But in the wild-card win against the Detroit Lions, the Cowboys allowed the Lions to score on their first two possessions. The Cowboys had to punt on their first four possessions.

“This was a decent day for us to not start slow because teams now are getting better,” wide receiver Terrance Williams said. “The slower we start, the harder it is to come back … We can’t start slow (this week) because they’ve got a high-powered offense. We got to keep our mindset in it.”

Coach Jason Garrett attributed the slow start to the newness of the playoffs for his team. Defensive end Jeremy Mincey said the Cowboys were too anxious on defense and got out of gaps. The Cowboys had a difficult time with the Lions’ pressure.

“It certainly was a big focus for us as a coaching staff last week to stay in that same routine, to prepare each day, focus on each day and focus on just going out and playing,” Garrett said. “To be honest with you, I don’t know that we achieved that early on in the ballgame. I think guys were excited, they were amped up, and at different times we didn’t play with as good of technique as we’ve played with in all three phases up to this point in the season. I think it was because it was kind of a playoff atmosphere, so I do think our guys learned a little bit from (the Lions’) experience. We have a young team, not many guys have been in the playoffs and I think they further understood what we were trying to convey to them all during the week. You just go out and play. We understand the stakes are higher, everybody gets that. But the idea to somehow, some way to create a feeling like you’re just going to play like you always play. I think as that game wore on, we did a better job at that.”

The Packers were off last week so they could have that anxiety this week, even if they have more recent playoff success.

“It starts all over again,” Mincey said. “We just got to do the same thing we did last week, prepare and come out faster. I think the guys know what to expect now so it’ll be easier in getting started faster.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
With all the hype Dallas' OL gets, Green Bay's OL has been right up there with them (or ahead) in every category. They are physical enough, just undersized on the DL.
This is not remotely true they have had issues with their tackles most of the year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is not remotely true they have had issues with their tackles most of the year.
While I think our line is better, GB is really good too. Both teams gave up 30 sacks, but GB passed it 60 more times.

Jiggyfly

Banned
While I think our line is better, GB is really good too. Both teams gave up 30 sacks, but GB passed it 60 more times.
Sack numbers are misleading GB throws a lot more quick passes and Rodgers at this point is far more mobile than Romo.

And we have been a far better run blocking team.

I am not saying their line is not good but it's a notch below our line.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I see...so then it is partly, remotely true.

Cotton

Staff member

Whoa, I knew he was hurt, but I figured he was back close to 100%. This makes it sound like he is not close to 100%.

Cotton

Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Keeping Rodgers In The Pocket; Packers' Top Matchup Against Dez
Wednesday, January 07, 2015 11:50 AM CST

By Bryan Broaddus

IRVING, Texas – As deadly as Detroit’s offense was, imagine all those weapons with one of the best quarterbacks in the game dictating the gameplan.

You can’t overstate how important Aaron Rodgers is to the way the Packers play, and these aren’t the last words we’ll write about him this week by a long shot. Rodgers also has a dynamic weapon in Jordy Nelson, and I wanted to take a look at the defensive back who I’m guessing will draw the assignment of tracking Dez Bryant.

Weapon: Jordy Nelson, WR

If there ever was a player that was made to play for the Green Bay Packers, it has to be Jordy Nelson. It takes a certain type of mentality to thrive at receiver in that environment, and Nelson has that in his demeanor.

In my opinion, Nelson is one of the most deceptive route runners in the league that is also blessed with a wide catching radius. His best trait is his natural hands with the ability to extend for the catch. There is nowhere on the field that Nelson will not venture to make a catch. He has always been the type of receiver that has shown courage when having to make a reception in a crowd.

His body control and balance is outstanding, along with his stop-start quickness. I have seen him twist and turn his body in order to make difficult adjusting catches. He has the ability to run a corner off, then sharply break to the outside to buy space. His football intelligence is off the charts, and he knows how to read coverages and take advantage of it.
On tape you can see how mindful he is of down and distance in the way he executes his routes. There were countless times on the game tape where Aaron Rodgers went to him along the sideline once he broke outside the pocket. Nelson is one of those receivers that can run all day. Routes are just as strong at the end of the game as they are in the beginning.

Nemesis: Aaron Rodgers, QB

This Packers offense has several talented players throughout its lineup but none are as talented as Aaron Rodgers. When the Packers are really rolling on offense, it is all through Rodgers and his ability to create plays. I have yet to see a quarterback that makes the types of throws that he does with all the different arm angles and be as accurate as he is doing it.

Other than facing Drew Brees earlier in the season, the Cowboys have not faced a quarterback that gets rid of the ball as quickly as Rodgers does. There were snaps where he is pulling the ball out of Eddie Lacy’s stomach and firing it to the outside before the receiver had even turned his head. His accuracy and ball placement are scary -- especially on the move. The Buffalo game late in the year was the one that I studied where he had the most trouble, but even then he was firing the ball into tight windows because of the confidence he has in his receivers and tight ends.

If there is something that we all need to keep an eye on in regard to Rodgers, it’s that calf injury that he is playing with. I’ve been told it’s a four-week injury and he is playing through it. As I mentioned before, one of his strengths is his ability to throw on the move so we could see him throw from the pocket much more than in games past.

Under Radar: Sam Shields, CB

I expect that we will see Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers take Sam Shields and match him up with Dez Bryant and go to battle that way. There is no question that Shields is his best option and is the one player Capers has that can be physical enough on Bryant and not allow him off the line.

Shields was outstanding against Calvin Johnson the last time the Packers played the Lions. His strength is his ability to get his hands on the receiver quickly and ride him up the field, then just past that five yard zone-release. Shields really frustrated Johnson playing him this way. It is this physical style that keeps Shields in position during the route up the field and inside.

If you remember on DallasCowboys.com when I showed you the blueprint in handling Johnson before the Lions game, it was Shields covering him on the three different types of routes that he ran. If there is a weakness to Shields’ game, it would be his ability to burst deep if the receiver gets by him. There was a snap where Johnson released past him, and even with safety help he was able to split the two, but Matthew Stafford was not accurate with his throw.

Shields doesn’t have the deep speed to really run if he has to catch up. We could see the Cowboys take a shot or two down the field, and we’ll also see if they can run Bryant across the field and make Shields have to chase him. What could be different in this matchup between Bryant and Shields is that if Bryant can win off the line, there might not be a safety there for him to beat because of the confidence these Packers coaches have in him.

Cotton

Staff member

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

p1_

DCC 4Life

That doesn't preclude them from playing.

Cotton

Staff member
That doesn't preclude them from playing.
No, but the protocol for concussions are rough right now, so it could be that they sit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't get this concept that they didn't know they had a concussion during the game but they discover the concussion 3 days later bullshit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No, but the protocol for concussions are rough right now, so it could be that they sit.
Just ask AJ Green. The "concussion protocol" forced him to watch their playoff game from the sidelines, for fucks sakes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't get this concept that they didn't know they had a concussion during the game but they discover the concussion 3 days later bullshit.
I saw them looking him over during the game Sunday. It appeared to be the medical staff. Possibly they were suspicious of it then.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I saw them looking him over during the game Sunday. It appeared to be the medical staff. Possibly they were suspicious of it then.
Yes, saw a tweet by think it was Brandon George that McClain was being looked at for dehydration but looked to me like he was being examined for a concussion

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Whoa, I knew he was hurt, but I figured he was back close to 100%. This makes it sound like he is not close to 100%.
With a badly strained calf there's no way he'd be close to 100% after only 10 days of rest. This is something that he's going to have to battle through throughout the post-season.

If we can collapse the pocket and make him run around some, I think there's a good chance that he reaggravates it just like he did against Detroit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
With a badly strained calf there's no way he'd be close to 100% after only 10 days of rest. This is something that he's going to have to battle through throughout the post-season.

If we can collapse the pocket and make him run around some, I think there's a good chance that he reaggravates it just like he did against Detroit.
They had a medical guy on Sirius that basically stated that not only is there a good chance he re-aggravates it, but it is almost a certainty if he runs around too much.

The more he extends via long striding (i.e. running versus shuffling in short steps) it is just a matter of time.

It is one reason I expect a lot of short quick throws and he will not be extending plays as often as he usually does. They will probably lean on the run and go for play action off it to keep him confined to the pocket.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Sorry, I laughed when I saw this.

cowboys.jpg

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I know it could very well just be gamesmanship, but the way they're talking out in Green Bay, it sure does give you the impression that Rodgers' calf is an issue.

I'm sure he can throw with no problems from a clean pocket, but it'll be interesting to see what happens if he's forced to scramble, or even just move around back there due to pressure or a collapsing pocket.

Top Bottom