Archer: Romo's value to Cowboys never higher or more apparent

kidd

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas -- Now you see all that Tony Romo means to the Dallas Cowboys.

Not just offensively but everywhere. For years, he has carried the burden of the franchise. Even last year, when the Cowboys were running the ball so well, Romo made the crucial plays at the big moments.

For all that DeMarco Murray did, Romo was the most valuable. When there were cracks, Romo filled them. When there were shortcomings, Romo compensated.

Romo has the ability to mask the offensive shortcomings and maximize what the defense can be. He was able to fix things so well that people didn't know they needed fixing. Playing quarterback is not just about running the play called. It's about getting the offense into good plays and out of bad plays.

The Cowboys aren't paying for being too reliant on Romo, but they are seeing what life without Romo will be like in the next two, three or four years. Whoever replaces him in 2017, 2018 or 2019 cannot be expected to do all Romo does.

The Cowboys have put up a respectable 48 points in two games without Romo. Scoring 28 in the first half against Atlanta should have been enough for the Cowboys to win. Scoring 20 versus the Saints wasn't great but was good enough. Asking for more from Brandon Weeden would not be prudent. He has played about as well as can be expected, whether fans want to accept that or not.

But Weeden can only do so much.

What makes Romo elite -- yes, elite -- is how he can get the Cowboys into the right plays. His experience makes everybody else better, from the receivers -- regardless of whether Dez Bryant is playing -- to the offensive line. Remember the game-winning drive against the New York Giants in the opener? It came with Bryant hurt.

It's not about how magical Romo is when things break down. That is the easy stuff to see -- the highlight plays that make everybody's jaws drop. That’s offense almost by accident.

Romo likes to say his greatest gift is his ability to process information quickly and act. Early on in his career, he processed things so quickly that he would get himself into trouble. He would make the great play and also the poor play.

Now he can process things and almost always make the correct decision.

It's checking to the right run or right pass, depending on the defensive look. That helps the offensive line get angles on the front in the run game and helps them get an edge in pass protection. Although Romo does not predetermine where he goes with the ball before the snap, he can anticipate coverages and blitzes that allows him to get the ball out more quickly.

All of that makes the defense better because the offense can sustain drives. In the past two weeks, the Cowboys have converted just four of 18 third-down attempts. With Romo, the Cowboys converted 10 of 23 third-down tries.

Weeden does not have that ability, and that's not a knock on him. There are maybe 10 starting quarterbacks in the NFL who have that ability. Teams are paying kingly sums for just potentially princely quarterbacks.

Cam Newton has superhuman abilities but will make silly decisions. Is Ryan Tannehill "the guy" or just a guy for the Miami Dolphins? Colin Kaepernick appears to be more style than substance. Andy Dalton is off to a great start, but the true judgment for him will be in the playoffs.

The Cowboys go how Romo goes, the way the Patriots go the way Tom Brady goes, the way the Packers go how Aaron Rodgers goes, the way the Broncos go how Peyton Manning goes.

Romo must feel helpless on the sideline with his left arm in a sling because of a broken collarbone. He is 35 and understands there are only so many realistic chances left to define his career with a Super Bowl.

The season is by no means over for the Cowboys. Romo could possibly be back for the final seven games of the regular season.

In the meantime, the Cowboys must somehow make sure those games will matter. If they can't, Romo might not be able to save them.

All involved should appreciate Romo even more than they already did. The past two games certainly demonstrated Romo's value.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The fact that Romo floats this rickety assed boat is just as telling as the
weak running attack. It's time to get the successor train rolling.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Please... insert Brady, Rogers, Brees, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, et al into this article and it would read the same. I would also love to know where Romo's successor is coming from. College? Good luck with that. The truth of the matter is that 10 years from now the NFL (professional football) will be all but unrecognizable.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Please... insert Brady, Rogers, Brees, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, et al into this article and it would read the same. I would also love to know where Romo's successor is coming from. College? Good luck with that. The truth of the matter is that 10 years from now the NFL (professional football) will be all but unrecognizable.
Sadly I agree with you. The NFL for the most part sucks ass these days. Can't play D without getting a ticky-tack holding or PI call, can't hit anyone anymore...god forbid don't touch the QB....I still watch, but its not like it used to be.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I was trying to think of a (non-starting) quarterback in the NFL (not named Garoppolo) who is currently being groomed as the future franchise quarterback of their team... and I cannot think of one. Manzel? He cannot even unseat McCown. Tolzen? Is he the answer in Green Bay? Osweiler? He may be the best of the bunch.

The situation it's just bad.

data

Forbes #1
I was trying to think of a (non-starting) quarterback in the NFL (not named Garoppolo) who is currently being groomed as the future franchise quarterback of their team... and I cannot think of one. Manzel? He cannot even unseat McCown. Tolzen? Is he the answer in Green Bay? Osweiler? He may be the best of the bunch.

i can be convinced otherwise, but I don't think QBing quality is worse than it was 20 years ago; our expectations of what's acceptable has gone up.

How QBR is calculated hasn't changed, but 90+ used to be top tier with years of nobody achieving 100+. Now, 100+ is top tier and several QBs achieve it per year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I was trying to think of a (non-starting) quarterback in the NFL (not named Garoppolo).
They might lose Garoppolo the same way they lost Mallet. I could see Brady playing three more years.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

The only reason Manziel isn't starting over McCown is the franchise being pissed at him over last year. Cleveland is 1-0 with Manziel starting and 0-3 with McCown but they don't trust Manziel so they are determined to sit him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The only reason Manziel isn't starting over McCown is the franchise being pissed at him over last year. Cleveland is 1-0 with Manziel starting and 0-3 with McCown but they don't trust Manziel so they are determined to sit him.
This. And also because Manziel sucks ass.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This. And also because Manziel sucks ass.
Manziel didn't stay in school long enough to learn the finess part of the game. His activities were all instinctive and reaction driven.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His activities were all instinctive and reaction driven.
In other words, not those of an NFL QB.

How he was taken in the first three rounds at all is testament to how hype can influence an NFL front office. This was Tebow all over again, except Manziel is worse than Tebow.

Top Bottom