Davison: McClain, Hardy preparing for return to Cowboys next week

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
McClain, Hardy preparing for return to Cowboys next week

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

The Dallas Cowboys’ defense is getting reinforcements next week.

Linebacker Rolando McClain and defensive end Greg Hardy will each be eligible to return Monday following their four-game suspensions to start the season.

“We anticipate those guys being back and ready to go,” coach Jason Garrett said on Friday.

The Cowboys face the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, and then will have a stiff test against the New England Patriots in Week 5. Getting McClain and Hardy back in the mix will certainly help fortify a defense that started strong before struggling last week against Atlanta.

McClain, suspended for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, is a difference-making linebacker. He provided a physical presence for the unit last season, becoming arguably their best run stopper.

Garrett has been pleased with how Anthony Hitchens has filled McClain’s spot in the middle, but McClain has the ability to make a greater impact.

Hardy, meanwhile, is considered among the top defensive ends in the game. He played only the season opener last season for Carolina before being placed on the commissioner’s exempt list for a domestic violence incident in May 2014.

Hardy spent training camp and played in every preseason game for the Cowboys, though, and they have high hopes that he can return to his Pro Bowl level.

The coaching staff cannot have contact with Hardy, however, the medical staff is able to allowed with Hardy. Executive vice president Stephen Jones said earlier this week that associate athletic trainer Britt Brown has kept in touch with Hardy.

“He feels good,” Jones said. “The trainer is able to contact him to make sure he's feeling good. We have full expectation."

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'll be happy to see Hitchens back on the strong side. He was a lot more productive over there last year. We need Lee, McClain, and Hitchens as our starting 3 and we need them to stay healthy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be happy to see Hitchens back on the strong side. He was a lot more productive over there last year. We need Lee, McClain, and Hitchens as our starting 3 and we need them to stay healthy.
Hitchens looked really good the first two weeks. This last week he stunk. But then again so did a lot of our defensive players. I'll chalk it up to an off week for now. Hopefully it doesn't continue. Regardless it will be nice when McClain is out there. He is a stud and to have 3 legit starting LBers would be pretty nice. Does anyone know what the injury situation with McClain is though? I know that was a bit of an issue before?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hitchens looked really good the first two weeks. This last week he stunk. But then again so did a lot of our defensive players. I'll chalk it up to an off week for now. Hopefully it doesn't continue. Regardless it will be nice when McClain is out there. He is a stud and to have 3 legit starting LBers would be pretty nice. Does anyone know what the injury situation with McClain is though? I know that was a bit of an issue before?
All the articles are saying he's ready to go.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I hadn't read anything and was a little worried that we all were just making the assumption that he was healthy even though there was talk during the preseason that he may go to the pup.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thanks, I hadn't read anything and was a little worried that we all were just making the assumption that he was healthy even though there was talk during the preseason that he may go to the pup.
McClain can't play this week. His suspension was for 4 games. This is the first week he could practice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
McClain can't play this week. His suspension was for 4 games. This is the first week he could practice.
Yeah I know that. I'm just trying to make sure that after the 4 weeks he will be ready to go. I remember during preseason there were some rumors that he needed to be put on the PUP list to start the season. Meaning his injury would last 6 weeks. But those were just rumors.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, he needs to go there because he played like total dogshit against Atlanta.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Returns of Greg Hardy, Rolando McClain Monday have Cowboys excited

1h
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Win or lose Sunday to the New Orleans Saints, the Dallas Cowboys should be a better team on Monday.

Defensive end Greg Hardy and linebacker Rolando McClain will be able to join their teammates for the first since training camp with their four-game suspensions completed. Hardy was suspended for violating the league’s personal conduct policy stemming from an incident last year with the Carolina Panthers. McClain was suspended under the substance abuse policy and has been able to work out at Valley Ranch.

Hardy has not been allowed around the team but has had contact with the team’s medical staff.

Sean Lee did not want to think too much about their returns with Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints looming.

“Obviously those are two talented guys who can make plays for us,” Lee said. “For us, it’s focus on week in and week out. We can’t have the same lapse we had last week. We started off the right way the first two weeks and took a step back last week. We have to continue to get better. We can’t play like that. If we don’t play relentless and don’t play with the same discipline, we have to every week be the same and continue to get better and I think those guys can help but it’s also on the whole entire crew.”

Hardy did not miss a training camp practice and was able to play in the preseason games. McClain spent most of training camp on the physically unable to perform list because of offseason knee surgery and did not take a snap while the team was in Oxnard, California.

The Cowboys could use both defenders. Hardy has 27 sacks in his last 32 games. McClain was credited by the coaches with 108 tackles in 12 games last year. He also had nine tackles for loss, five quarterback pressures, two interceptions, five pass breakups and a forced fumble.

“He’s ready to go,” Lee said. “He’s champing at the bit to get back and he’s been working extremely hard. He looks great. He’s a natural. By next week, he’ll be ready to practice and be ready to go.”

Having them back against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots should be a big boost.

Without Hardy and Randy Gregory, who was hurt in the season opener, the Cowboys’ pass rush has suffered with just three sacks in the first three games. Anthony Hitchens has started at middle linebacker in McClain’s absence. He could move over to strongside linebacker when McClain returns.

The Cowboys will have roster exemptions for Hardy and McClain but they are expected to play against New England, which would require the team to release two players from the 53-man roster.

“You certainly have a plan for those guys to the extent that you can have a plan given what their circumstances are,” coach Jason Garrett said. “The biggest thing we try to do is focus on our football team and the guys who are playing for us and then the guys who are involved with them, whether it’s a rehab guy or a strength coach, they do their best to get those guys ready for the time they do come back.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I know that. I'm just trying to make sure that after the 4 weeks he will be ready to go. I remember during preseason there were some rumors that he needed to be put on the PUP list to start the season. Meaning his injury would last 6 weeks. But those were just rumors.
He magically healed once camp was over.

Top Bottom