Gosselin: Cowboys need NFL's best offensive line to live up to reputation

Jiggyfly

Banned
The funny thing is I remember an awful lot of people on this very message board bitching about Murray missing the holes last year. Or being too slow. Or a combination of both. No RB is perfect on every play. Just like no offensive line is perfect on every play.
People were bitching about him in the open field his work at the line was great.

It still amazes me the difference in the 2.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The funny thing is I remember an awful lot of people on this very message board bitching about Murray missing the holes last year. Or being too slow. Or a combination of both. No RB is perfect on every play. Just like no offensive line is perfect on every play.
You hope for the best between each.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Fredbeard blocked his guy completely out of the play in this GIF? The two blocks aren't similar at all.
In each gif, just ignore everyone else and just imagine Fred and his opponent.

Fred makes the identical block in the exact same direction behind the tackle, like the article said.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Hmmm.

McFadden has no problem with the exact same blocking by Fred.

So just ignore the fact the other DT took himself completely out of the play as opposed to the other one.

Come on Ravi you are better than this.:lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So just ignore the fact the other DT took himself completely out of the play as opposed to the other one.
In McFadden's run, the RDT fills the left offensive lane by design.

In Randle's run the RDT gets blown back by Collins with a coup-de-gras roll by Smith. If Randle reverses field to the left, there might have been something there. There were too many defenders on the offensive right side for the play to have gained much anyway. Free's guy getting off his block just stops the pain sooner.

In either play, Fred handles his guy.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Maybe all this is because they almost never played together in preseason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Could be.

But they shouldn't need to hit the reset button after playing together all last year. They had incredible health and cohesion.

I will wait to see what happens when Leary gets back.

Then we can see how it unfolds from there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Very likely. I was bitching about it last year and again this year. Garrett has a let's not get anyone hurt philosophy. The irony is it actually hurts the team in the long run.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hmmm.

McFadden has no problem with the exact same blocking by Fred.

same block but completely different play, the Mac run was a quicker handoff, in the Randle play everyone's been moving right for a while by the time Randle gets the ball. A lot easier for Fred to drive his guy out of the play when he's not having to fight to keep him from getting penetration at the same time. Fred's guy is ahead of McFadden and safely out of the way, but he's right on top of Randle. That's why McFadden only has to cut upfield, where Randle would have had to cut back to find a hole.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
People were bitching about him in the open field his work at the line was great.

It still amazes me the difference in the 2.
Murray knew how to work the blocks and get four or five yards consistently.

Randle is not that kind of runner. Not even close.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Murray knew how to work the blocks and get four or five yards consistently.

Randle is not that kind of runner. Not even close.
Murray had plenty of runs with us where he went for no yards or negative yards as well. It happens to all RBs. Go back to the second Philly game last year. A very large percentage of his runs basically went for little to nothing. But we stuck with him and he would get his 4 or 5 yards here and there and break a good gainer every once in awhile. I would like to see more 5 yard runs out of Randle, but it's hard when a guy has like 4 total carries in a half.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Murray had plenty of runs with us where he went for no yards or negative yards as well. It happens to all RBs. Go back to the second Philly game last year. A very large percentage of his runs basically went for little to nothing. But we stuck with him and he would get his 4 or 5 yards here and there and break a good gainer every once in awhile. I would like to see more 5 yard runs out of Randle, but it's hard when a guy has like 4 total carries in a half.
This is all true. Philly has a solid DL because Fletcher Cox is a baller with both power and quickness who can gain leverage and penetrate against anybody when he knows a run is coming. If it's one thing Dallas doesn't do well it's disguise things-- especially when they had Murray.

I don't expect much from Randle at all if the OL can't get it for him. He has no push, no power. Dallas was dominant running on 3rd and 1 last year. This year we're looking to bail and pass instead because we lack confidence.

The Escobar almost-touchdown is 2015 in a microcosm. 1st and goal ... FG.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It was very rare with Murray. It's constant with Randle.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It was very rare with Murray. It's constant with Randle.
See this is just flat out false, beginning with the Arizona game Murray was stopped for minimal gains a lot, the biggest difference was that Callahan would draw up something in the second half and he would pop a couple.

3 out of the last 5 games last year Murray averaged around 3 yards a carry.

This idea that he was consistently getting 4 and 5 yards a carry all of last year is a myth.

Genghis Khan

See this is just flat out false, beginning with the Arizona game Murray was stopped for minimal gains a lot, the biggest difference was that Callahan would draw up something in the second half and he would pop a couple.

3 out of the last 5 games last year Murray averaged around 3 yards a carry.

This idea that he was consistently getting 4 and 5 yards a carry all of last year is a myth.
:lol Ok. Don't know what to tell you if you can't see the vast difference between what we got from murray last year and randle this year.

Genghis Khan

Murray ran for 1800 yards by getting stopped for minimal gain "a lot" then "popping a couple."

:lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
Murray ran for 1800 yards by getting stopped for minimal gain "a lot" then "popping a couple."

:lol
Yeah that's what I said.:picard

I was talking about the end of the year when teams started scheming our run game, you know like what's going on now.

Yes the running game was better with Murray and Murray was much more in sync with this line I have been saying that since week 2.

But the fact still remains at the end of last year Murray was not getting 4 and 5 yards every carry 2 out of his last 3 games last year he averaged 2.6 yards a carry.

Top Bottom