Divisional Playoff Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
...and just to get it out of the way, p1_, yes, it is too early to start the gameday chatter thread right now.
:lol

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys, Tony Romo don't want to be left in cold
January, 9, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The forecast for Sunday in Green Bay, Wisconsin, is calling for temperatures in the low 20s.

Despite Tony Romo's Wisconsin roots, cold weather has not been kind to the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Romo has a 1-2 record when the game-time temperature is 32 degrees or lower.

His lone win came last season against the New York Giants (25 degrees) in which he completed 23 of 38 passes for 234 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. He lost at the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008 (22 degrees) and last season at the Chicago Bears (8 degrees).

Romo has completed 56.4 percent of his passes, averaged 182.7 yards passing and had six touchdowns and four interceptions. Among quarterbacks with at least three starts in freezing temperatures, Romo’s 26.0 QBR is fourth worst since 2006.

Throwing the ball in the cold is different. Romo said the ball will be a little heavier.

“There are subtle changes,” Romo said. “You know, I grew up in Wisconsin and I played at Eastern Illinois, we played in plenty of games like that. You just learn through experience and through the years how to do subtle things. There are little things you can do that help you. That’s just part of playing in the conditions.”

Romo will not wear a glove Sunday and he said quarterbacks have different tricks to deal with the cold, like keeping their hand a little wet because the ball can feel dry. He said the practice in colder weather during the week should help.

“I think probably as much as anything else [the ball] doesn’t feel great in your hand, it doesn’t jump out of your hand as it normally would,” coach Jason Garrett said. “It’s really dealing with a football, holding it, catching it, when the conditions are cold and windy and wet and whatever they’re going to be, it’s just more challenging to secure that thing. It doesn’t feel like it normally does.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Rodgers takes first step towards Sunday
Weston Hodkiewicz, Press-Gazette Media 8:26 p.m. CST January 8, 2015

Tramon Williams didn't see the jersey at first. Only the pass.

That's all the Green Bay Packers cornerback needed to know Aaron Rodgers had returned.

"I didn't notice him out there until I saw one ball that kind of squeaked through and went in for a touchdown," Williams said. "I said, 'Oh, that's why it squeaked through. We've got No. 12 in the back.'"

The Packers quarterback practiced for the first time since aggravating his injured left calf muscle in the team's 30-20 win over the Detroit Lions on Dec. 28. Rodgers finished the game after initially heading to the locker room, but operated the offense mainly inside the pocket once he returned.

He wasn't visible during the portion of Thursday's padded practice open to the media, but coach Mike McCarthy said he took roughly "50-60 percent" of the snaps during the 11-on-11 team period.

Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt added that Rodgers "looked like Aaron. Looked normal" during the workout, though it remains to be seen how much mobility he'll have with the calf during Sunday's divisional-round playoff game against Dallas.

"It wasn't really an issue. Didn't need to move around (Thursday)," Van Pelt said. "We tried to get him in a nice environment where he felt comfortable in the pocket, but like I said Sunday it will all come down to how he feels on game day. You know we have a plan in place, a good plan, and we have the ability to adjust at any time if we need to. I think a lot of that will be dictated by how he feels on Sunday."

There's one other positive in Van Pelt's mind. The injury didn't occur on the right side, Rodgers' plant foot. That's what allowed the quarterback to maintain his effectiveness from the pocket once he returned against the Lions, completing 11-of-13 passes for 129 yards and two touchdowns (one passing, one rushing).

Williams and T.J. Lang thought Rodgers looked good in practice, though the starting right guard admits he didn't see him move around a lot with Lang's back usually turned to the quarterback. Regardless, he doesn't see much changing against the Cowboys.

Like every week, the offensive line just needs to keep the pocket clean.

"The biggest thing for him is he likes to get outside the pocket once in a while and make some plays by extending the time there," Lang said. "Be interested to see if he'll be able to do that. But for us up front, our job is always to make sure we're taking care of him no matter if he's 60, 70, 80, 100 percent, it doesn't matter. We've got to do our job and take care of him. Him being limited mobility wise doesn't really change a whole lot for us up front."

The Packers added a pistol formation after he strained the calf the first time in Tampa Bay, so Rodgers doesn't have to push off the muscle in three- or four-step drop backs as often. It also gives him the option to hand the ball off.

Dallas has struggled to get consistent pressure with a four-man rush and ranks 28th in sacks this season, so it wouldn't surprise Lang to see the Cowboys deploy more rushers to keep the pressure on Rodgers.

The beauty of the situation from Van Pelt's perspective is Rodgers can beat defenses in a number of ways, including from the pocket if the situation calls for it.

"I've said that Aaron can play the game from all over the field in different spots," Van Pelt said. "He doesn't have to be outside the pocket to be a great player. He can be a great player in the pocket, too, and he showed that."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nelson will get his share of production. They can't let Eddie Lacy beat them.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nelson will get his share of production. They can't let Eddie Lacy beat them.
I think Lacy will be a bigger problem for us than we realize, but the outcome of this game is all about Rodgers.

The Eagles went in concentrating on stopping Lacy and got their doors blown off. Unfortunately we need to worry about slowing Rodgers down and hope to do enough after that to take care of Lacy.

Cotton

Staff member
I think Lacy will be a bigger problem for us than we realize, but the outcome of this game is all about Rodgers.

The Eagles went in concentrating on stopping Lacy and got their doors blown off. Unfortunately we need to worry about slowing Rodgers down and hope to do enough after that to take care of Lacy.
Yeah, I think we make them try to beat us with Lacy. Pin our ears back and go as hard after Rodgers as we can.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Better start off stopping Lacy or its going to be another Eagles game. Only problem is Rodgers is light years better than Sanchez.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Gonna be embarrassed in this game. Only hope is Rodgers' leg falls off.

They are good enough on D, and incredible on O when clicking.

Teams are showing they can confuse Martin. Parnell is average. Murray has lost a step.

Refs will also be out to throw the flag on the smallest of infractions on us.

I'm thinking we lose by at least 20.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Lacy keeps them balanced which is bad. Stop him, and they will lean on Rodgers and become one-dimensional.

Cotton

Staff member

Absolutely.

Cotton

Staff member

Thank little baby jesus. :towel

Carp

DCC 4Life

Absolutely.
I think though that with the cold we need to stop the run first.

p1_

DCC 4Life
These 4 teams beat the Packers: Seahawks, Lions, Saints and Bills. What were the keys to those losses?

Slowing the big O, or exploiting the pack D. Or some combination of the two?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Absolutely.
I double Jordy regardless. Force them to beat you with one of the other WRs. My preference is obviously Carr on Jordy with a double team. Match Scandrick one on one with Cobb who I think he could at least limit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Lacy keeps them balanced which is bad. Stop him, and they will lean on Rodgers and become one-dimensional.
I think this is the best approach as well because he will be used to keep the heat off Rodgers. Shut him down then Rogers is forced to step up.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just a gut feeling, but I think Harris scores his first return TD of the season this week.

Genghis Khan

I think though that with the cold we need to stop the run first.
That's the big wild card. If it's a tough day to pass the ball, then concentrating on lacy makes a lot more sense.

Otherwise I think there's no question you sell out on their passing game and trying to make Rodgers uncomfortable.

Genghis Khan

These 4 teams beat the Packers: Seahawks, Lions, Saints and Bills. What were the keys to those losses?

Slowing the big O, or exploiting the pack D. Or some combination of the two?
That's actually interesting. The common denominator for three of those teams is strong defense.

So how the hell did new Orleans beat them?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Looking forward to getting this place back to normal after Sunday's humbling defeat.

Top Bottom