The way I saw it: Cowboys-Falcons week 3

Jiggyfly

Banned
Man this was a hard one to rewatch especially after the fast start we got off to, but I have to say I never felt comfortable because Atlanta offense looked all game, I knew the D was in for a long day.

1. Marinelli was outcoached plain and simple they dialed up the right play at the right time all game. Atlanta started out very physical and their fullback was killing the LB's on their initial drives, he pancaked Hitchens and Wilber and put good licks on Lee.

Hitchens is not a very physical LB and it was the play of him and Wilber which led to them gashing us in the run game, neither gets of blocks very well and Hitchens gets lost in traffic a lot. Mclain will be a welcome addition.

They hooked the DE's consistently and Lawrence was hooked or got ran out of the play a lot it was not a good game for him, J Crawford was just handled most of the day and Russel looked like a rookie he was very hesitant.

2. Tyrone Crawford had a very average game as well, he got penitration but he could not get off blocks in the run game and as a pass rusher, he needs to use his hands much better they just let him run upfield and then screened him off.

We were really hurt by the lack of an inside push against the pass, Ryan was much too comfortable, a poor day all around by the interior guys, Coleman showed zero as a pash rusher as well as Bishop.

3.Shanahan called a great game he attacked a weakness on every 3rd down our inability to stop them on 3rd down was the key to the game, they killed us on crossing routes and Hitchens was continously out of position.

This will be something to monitor moving forward I don't know if its a blueprint or just a really good day.

Ryan had a great day as well he hit some tough throws on 3rd down.

4. The key series was the 2nd offensive series for Dallas in the second half, inside there 50 with a chance too put points on the board and maybe get Atlanta out of there comfort zone, The int in the 1st was a momentum swing but if they score on this drive I think things might have stabalized.

That was a bad penalty on Witten to start the drive off and then Free misses a block and it's all downhill from there, Weeden missed a easy seem pass to Witten and he lost all confidence after that.

If you are scared to have your QB throw downfield then you have the wrong guy as a backup, to not throw anything over 20 yards down the field was criminal, you have to ask yourself why is Weeden here.

Weeden also missed Escobar several times down the seem in single coverage, in the second half he never went to a second read and that giveup on 3rd down for the sack pretty much tells you everything you need to know about him as a QB.

I think we see Cassel sooner than later.

5.I think Atlanta's offensive line is better than some give them credit for they played in sync unlike us in the second half.

We were way to predictable in the second half Atlanta played 8 in the box on 1st down and their d-line was much more aggressive but we also had some spotty play by the o-line.

Collins looked good for the most part but he tends to play high at times and loses all his power he held up well in pass pro and looked good getting to the second level.

All of the o-line were to eager to leave a man and get to the second level, several times they left a guy and he blew up a play in the backfield, this line is not playing well as a unit. At this point I have to start wondering about Pollack.

6.This is a crucial game against the Saints, the defense has to step up and show this game was a fluke and the offense has to stretch the field or this season is over.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
1. Marinelli was outcoached plain and simple they dialed up the right play at the right time all game. Atlanta started out very physical and their fullback was killing the LB's on their initial drives, he pancaked Hitchens and Wilber and put good licks on Lee.

Hitchens is not a very physical LB and it was the play of him and Wilber which led to them gashing us in the run game, neither gets of blocks very well and Hitchens gets lost in traffic a lot. Mclain will be a welcome addition.

They hooked the DE's consistently and Lawrence was hooked or got ran out of the play a lot it was not a good game for him, J Crawford was just handled most of the day and Russel looked like a rookie he was very hesitant.

2. Tyrone Crawford had a very average game as well, he got penitration but he could not get off blocks in the run game and as a pass rusher, he needs to use his hands much better they just let him run upfield and then screened him off.

We were really hurt by the lack of an inside push against the pass, Ryan was much too comfortable, a poor day all around by the interior guys, Coleman showed zero as a pash rusher as well as Bishop.
Biggest pieces to the loss as far as I am concerned.

The LBers were getting killed by DiMarco, who looked like an All Pro. He was laying into all of the LBers, who looked inept without being covered up.

Very scary since the only guys missing from the starting lineup were Mincey and McClain, who you can't convince me is that integral.

Hopefully they were just tired or something, but that was horrible.

Jiggyfly

Banned

The LBers were getting killed by DiMarco, who looked like an All Pro. He was laying into all of the LBers, who looked inept without being covered up.

Very scary since the only guys missing from the starting lineup were Mincey and McClain, who you can't convince me is that integral.

Yep and to top it off Dimarco was not in much in the 2nd half and they still gashed us.

Mclain could make a huge difference Hitchens runs around blocks or either tries to minimize the contact too much.

He is a WLB or super sub nickel guy.

We did very little stunting we needed to do something to disrupt the offense Marinelli was too vanilla.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

And Hardy and Gregory.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Our linebackers look like little kids.

They need linemen who can keep these mf'ers off of them.

I believe Mincey was sorely missed and Hayden is a limited guy. Hardy's return will help immensely.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hardy's return will help immensely.
Just lobbing this grenade out there...

I am not so sure Hardy is going to be the impact player we think he will be.

Honestly, I was a little underwhelmed with what he did with more than the usual exhibition work.

I hope they were disguising what he would do in a real game and were just trying to get him work.

He just did not look all that strong.

I just had to throw out that teeny tiny doubt I have.

I would love for Hardy to go apeshit. It would be great to have a DL like that.

The more important piece is Gregory as far as I am concerned. He looks ready to roll, but a high ankle is going to nag him all season I am afraid.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The more important piece is Gregory as far as I am concerned.
Ironically I feel the opposite. I don't think of Hardy as a 15-sack superstar, but as a physically imposing LDE on a team that desperately needs that kind of cornerstone to make everyone else better.

Every play this guy's size and demeanor are going to wear at the offense, directly or indirectly. He can seal that edge and play the run in dominant fashion, and I can't wait to see Lawrence, Crawford, Hardy, and Gregory all ass-rushing on the field in 3rd and 15.

And if he does have a double-digit sack year to boot... pay the man.

Gregory shows promise, but he's much more of a one-trick pony and maybe not even that now that he's injured.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Marinelli was outcoached plain and simple they dialed up the right play at the right time all game. Atlanta started out very physical and their fullback was killing the LB's on their initial drives, he pancaked Hitchens and Wilber and put good licks on Lee.
which brings us to our fullback. is he a devastating blocker? no. is he a great short yardage back, or someone who gets the ball on the one yard line? no. a pass catching machine? no. aside from the TD in Green Bay where he was wide open in the flat, I can't think of anything memorable about him. he's just .. there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
which brings us to our fullback. is he a devastating blocker? no. is he a great short yardage back, or someone who gets the ball on the one yard line? no. a pass catching machine? no. aside from the TD in Green Bay where he was wide open in the flat, I can't think of anything memorable about him. he's just .. there.
I gotta tell ya, when I get steamed about what is wrong with this team, I focus on the who gives a shit fullback that might play fifteen snaps a game.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I gotta tell ya, when I get steamed about what is wrong with this team, I focus on the who gives a shit fullback that might play fifteen snaps a game.
yes, there are bigger fish to fry, but one team has a consequential fullback and one doesn't. on Sunday, it made a big difference.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
yes, there are bigger fish to fry, but one team has a consequential fullback and one doesn't. on Sunday, it made a big difference.
It was one game. And besides, Garrett is too stubborn to learn from it.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Every play this guy's size and demeanor are going to wear at the offense, directly or indirectly. He can seal that edge and play the run in dominant fashion, and I can't wait to see Lawrence,
Is Demarco Lawrence hurt?

Haven't seen him on the field lately.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Just lobbing this grenade out there...

I am not so sure Hardy is going to be the impact player we think he will be.

Honestly, I was a little underwhelmed with what he did with more than the usual exhibition work.

I hope they were disguising what he would do in a real game and were just trying to get him work.

He just did not look all that strong.

I just had to throw out that teeny tiny doubt I have.

I would love for Hardy to go apeshit. It would be great to have a DL like that.

The more important piece is Gregory as far as I am concerned. He looks ready to roll, but a high ankle is going to nag him all season I am afraid.
Either Hardy or Mincy as a DT on passing downs will help immensely Qb's getting some bodies in their face will help a lot against the pass.

Hardy looked a lot better in that final preseason game his inside rush flushed the QB into sacks a couple of times, plus he is just a physicaly violent player, having him in the rotation will take a toll on an o-line.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Is Demarco Lawrence hurt?

Haven't seen him on the field lately.
He's still riding a big wave of cred with me after his huge play vs. Detroit.

The kid can't help being the size he is. He needs complementary linemen and backers, but all he gets is more smallish linemen.

Top Bottom