Jerry Jones: Don't you want us to use Dez Bryant the way Atlanta uses Julio Jones?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
By Jon Machota

Two days after Julio Jones was targeted 20 times during a 39-28 win over the Cowboys, Jerry Jones was still talking about one of the game's best wide receivers.

The Cowboys owner and general manager was particularly discussing how the Falcons moved around the two-time Pro Bowler and frequently used him in the slot.

"I think our early defensive success gave us a certain confidence in what we were doing, and the when we relied on that later ... I think that betrayed us," Jerry Jones said on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. "I'm not criticizing here at all. I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious to me that every down is almost a new day with a Julio Jones. He was no surprise. His first two games have been almost lay-downs to what he did against us."

Julio Jones caught 12 passes for 164 yards and two touchdowns Sunday. Through Atlanta's first three games, he has 34 catches - an NFL record to start a season - for 440 yards and four touchdowns.

"When you cover him the way we did in the slot and you don't have a sideline to work with, then it's really very difficult for him not to get the plays," Jerry Jones said. "My observation, though, my coaching observation - and I'm holding two fingers up on each side - I want to see the way they do Julio, and does anybody want to see us do Dez [Bryant] that way? Is that too elementary?"

Over the last few seasons, the Cowboys have gradually moved Bryant around more and used him in the slot.

But Bryant has never been targeted 20 times in a game. He was targeted 17 times twice in 2013. He was targeted 14 times in two games last season.

Top Bottom