Gosselin: Why the Falcons loss was on the Cowboys' coaching staff

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gosselin: Why the Falcons loss was on the Cowboys' coaching staff

The Dallas Morning News

By Rick Gosselin Follow @RickGosselinDMN rgosselin@dallasnews.com

Published: 28 September 2015 09:54 PM
Updated: 29 September 2015 12:40 AM

SportsDay columnist Rick Gosselin hosted a chat Monday to talk everything sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: Sunday's game was another example of how it seems like Jason Garrett is very slow or unwilling to make adjustments and/or alter his game plan. Is he too stubborn for his own good in not making adjustments or is there more to this story?

Gosselin: The Cowboys entered the second half up by two scores. I'm sure Garrett and the Cowboys figured if they continued to do what they were doing, they would be just fine on this day. But Atlanta made the necessary adjustments to correct its approach -- but the Cowboys had no counter as the game was swirling down the drain in the second half. The Cowboys couldn't run the ball and after Weeden's second-quarter interception, they were afraid to let him throw anything beyond 10 yards. And this defense certainly isn't good enough to protect an offense that was going into a shell. It's the defense that needs to be protected, not the offense. You're right -- this one was on coaching. This staff had no answers in the final 30 minutes.

Question: Do you agree with Tim Cowlishaw that the Falcons' field goal before halftime helped stage Atlanta's rally? What would have happened had Atlanta not gotten those three points?

Gosselin: I agree. Another episode of clock mismanagement by Garrett. Why call back-to-back timeouts and give Matt Ryan 40 seconds to recoup some of those points? As a head coach, you must consider your offense, defense and special teams equally. That last minute Garrett was thinking all offense with no regard for his defense. He wanted points. What he needed to do was burn clock and protect his defense. I agree with Tim -- that drive put a field goal on the board for the Falcons, showed them how easy it was to move the ball through the air against the Cowboys and set the stage for that 22-0 onslaught in the second half.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep. Fire Garrett.

dallen

Senior Tech
Yeah, but the swing started with the INT. I was shocked when we answered but that FG took away any chance of killing the momentum swing and it was all because of that timeout.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, but the swing started with the INT. I was shocked when we answered but that FG took away any chance of killing the momentum swing and it was all because of that timeout.
The defense was really the biggest problem with this game. Our tackling was horrific. Guys in position for tackles and they just froze and didn't make the plays. Our offense sucked in the second half but any time you give up 30+ points you're probably going to get beat.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The defense was really the biggest problem with this game. Our tackling was horrific. Guys in position for tackles and they just froze and didn't make the plays. Our offense sucked in the second half but any time you give up 30+ points you're probably going to get beat.
The offense kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's true but in the second half our offense had what, 4 offensive possessions? That's pretty bad.
Probably and was in the hole on all of them. When it's 2nd and 3rd and long. You have to throw your way out. Either Linehan or Weeden didn't seem to grasp that. The OL compounded it with penalties. Just a complete debacle in the second half for the entire team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Probably and was in the hole on all of them. When it's 2nd and 3rd and long. You have to throw your way out. Either Linehan or Weeden didn't seem to grasp that. The OL compounded it with penalties. Just a complete debacle in the second half for the entire team.
Completely true. They work synergistically. Both sides of the ball are at fault for this loss.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Hitchens played very, very poorly. This defense should get a lot better once we add Hardy at DE and McClain takes over in the middle.

Top Bottom