Sturm: Cowboys' loss shows Brandon Weeden is out of his league

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No but Weeden is physically capable of making the difficult throws. That's not the issue. So when a team is stacking the box Weeden should be fully capable of delivering the ball down field.
He has never proven he can do that in an NFL offense, so I think expecting him to suddenly do this now may be expecting a bit much.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No but Weeden is physically capable of making the difficult throws. That's not the issue. So when a team is stacking the box Weeden should be fully capable of delivering the ball down field.
I agree that Wedden has the tools. They either need to use them or cut him loose. As for the Cassell thing, he would still be on someone else's roster if Romo had not been injured so he wasn't picked to replace Weeden. It might turn out that way but it wasn't the original plan.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Whether he has the physical tools is only part of the issue. You have to have the head for it too. That's a large part of the equation and I think it's mostly what separates the bad from the good from the great. And that's the part Weeden clearly struggles with.

It's all well and good to be able to make all the throws and throw bullets, but you also have to understand your formations and read defenses and process information quickly and recognize disguised coverages and blitzes. And something Romo has mentioned that I think often gets short shrift, recognizing and processing spatial data.

In many ways the mental aspect is way more important. Yet people see guys with big arms and figure, well he has the tools to do it. And yes, you need a certain amount of arm talent. But we can't forget the brain talent too. And I don't think Weeden has that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Whether he has the physical tools is only part of the issue. You have to have the head for it too. That's a large part of the equation and I think it's mostly what separates the bad from the good from the great. And that's the part Weeden clearly struggles with.

It's all well and good to be able to make all the throws and throw bullets, but you also have to understand your formations and read defenses and process information quickly and recognize disguised coverages and blitzes. And something Romo has mentioned that I think often gets short shrift, recognizing and processing spatial data.

In many ways the mental aspect is way more important. Yet people see guys with big arms and figure, well he has the tools to do it. And yes, you need a certain amount of arm talent. But we can't forget the brain talent too. And I don't think Weeden has that.
All true. Still he is all they have at the moment so you put a muzzle on him and lose or you take a shot and try to win. They picked him so play him or pay the price. At this moment there are no other options.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I don't know if our system is the best one to evaluate QBs to begin with.

Every single QB not named Romo has struggled in Garrett's system. I think it is overpowering to your every day schlub and he will not make it easier by dumbing it down.

Genghis Khan

All true. Still he is all they have at the moment so you put a muzzle on him and lose or you take a shot and try to win. They picked him so play him or pay the price. At this moment there are no other options.
Well, who knows how soon Cassel will be an option. Historically he's been a better player than Weeden. My guess is they didn't get him to keep on the bench.

Genghis Khan

I don't know if our system is the best one to evaluate QBs to begin with.

Every single QB not named Romo has struggled in Garrett's system. I think it is overpowering to your every day schlub and he will not make it easier by dumbing it down.
That's a pretty good point. It's probably not an easy system to just plug and play QBs. As opposed to the WCO for instance.

That said Kitna was pretty good here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a pretty good point. It's probably not an easy system to just plug and play QBs. As opposed to the WCO for instance.

That said Kitna was pretty good here.
And Kitna was a pretty smart QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What mystifies me about Weeden personally is what exactly did Holmgren see in him?

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
What mystifies me about Weeden personally is what exactly did Holmgren see in him?
Probably reminded Holmgren of Favre. Cannon for an arm, ton of confidence in his abilities, but prone to making bone-headed decisions. After that INT this past weekend, it's clear that Weeden's decision making has not improved.

Top Bottom