Convincing Win on TNF Proves Giants Are Front-Runners in Sagging NFC East

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Convincing Win on TNF Proves Giants Are Front-Runners in Sagging NFC East
By Gary Davenport , NFL Analyst Sep 25, 2015

Only in the NFC Least can a team choke away its first two games in historic fashion, not notch a victory until the season's third week, win a game that can best be described as "a Thursday slopfest" and emerge from that game as the front-runner in the division.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the 2015 New York Giants.

After becoming the first team in the history of the National Football League to blow double-digit fourth-quarter leads in each of their first two games, the Giants notched win No. 1 of the 2015 campaign, downing a listless Washington Redskins team 32-21.

And in doing so, Big Blue may now be the leading candidates to become the champions of a division no one wants to win in 2015.

Mind you, this isn't to say that the Giants are a good football team. They might be—if you're being generous. But they are not really good. They certainly aren't great.

The red-zone woes that plagued the Giants over the season's first two weeks continued into Thursday's game. The team's only red-zone touchdown (a one-yard Andre Williams run) was set up by a Redskins turnover. Other than that, it's been what it's been the past two games—futility and the foot of kicker Josh Brown.

The Giants really had all of one impact play on offense all night. It was provided by exactly who you would expect:

As for defensive impact? Here's all you need to know: About halfway through the fourth quarter, linebacker Jonathan Casillas sacked quarterback Kirk Cousins. It was the Giants' first sack of the game—and third of the season.

Meanwhile, that defense, which entered Week 3 ranked dead-last in the NFL, continues to hemorrhage players. Defensive end Robert Ayers missed the game with an injured hamstring. Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie sat as well. Batterymate Prince Amukamara missed a chunk of the second half with a bad ankle.

And yet, this team may actually be in the best position to win the NFC East. Seriously.

Leading up to Thursday night's thrilling affair (and by thrilling, I mean it violated the Constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment), head coach Tom Coughlin preached to his team that the Giants were far from out of it, according to Paul Schwartz of the New York Post:

"The situation in our division is very obvious to all of you," Coughlin said. "I'm going to point that out to our team, how important this upcoming game is."

And he's right. It's something of a cosmic comedy, but Coughlin is absolutely right.

The 2-0 Dallas Cowboys? Yes, they lead the division. But the team will also be without the services of quarterback Tony Romo and wide receiver Dez Bryant indefinitely. Last year's three amigos of Romo, Bryant and DeMarco Murray has given way to the Three Stooges of Brandon Weeden, Joseph Randle and Terrance Williams.

Murray is in Philadelphia now, where he has 11 rushing yards over the first two games after leading the NFL with over 1,800 last year. The Eagles' supposedly high-octane offense? All it's been is highly offensive in two losses to start the year. The defense might be worse, especially against the pass. And they travel to face a white-hot New York Jets team this weekend—0-3 anyone?

The Redskins? Yes, entering Week 3, Washington led the NFL in both rushing offense and total defense. That and nine dollars will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. The Redskins are what they are—a team that's maybe slightly better than last year's 4-12 incarnation.

And that leaves the Giants. The flawed and floundering Giants, who did everything in their power to let Washington hang around Thursday night. After not allowing a touchdown over the first three quarters, the Giants allowed two in less than a minute in the fourth, including a 100-yard kickoff return.

But try though they might, the Giants just couldn't give a third straight game away.

Coughlin credited his quarterback for playing a mistake-free game Thursday night:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first week it was the Eagles. Then it's the Redskins. Now it's the Giants.

You would think that we hadn't already beat two of these teams or something. I appreciate them keeping Dallas in the underdog role though. I think we play better from there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stupid. The media is desirous of the Giants being the front runners..

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Eli, for what it's worth, has not had turnovers.

I think Dallas beats Atlanta and should actually be favored vs New Orleans.

That Patriots - Giants - Seahawks Romo-less stretch will be tough. Could go 0-3.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Wow! The Three Stooges, really? I hope the Cowboys keep that for the bulletin board.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Wow! The Three Stooges, really? I hope the Cowboys keep that for the bulletin board.

No shit. Fuck that asshole.

I see no supporting argument for the author's claim. Seems they're closer to being 0-3 than being front runners.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
The Giants offense was doing dick until D Hall left the game with an injury. Although I do have a bit of concern over what will happen when Cruz returns (depending upon the rust)... might uncork ODB's production.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Giants offense was doing dick until D Hall left the game with an injury. Although I do have a bit of concern over what will happen when Cruz returns (depending upon the rust)... might uncork ODB's production.
Their defense is really weak though. And I don't think a four fingered JPP is going to matter.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't see what they are seeing...if anything they are worse than I thought they would be. Beckham has been less impressive than I thought he would be.

Top Bottom