JJT: With Tony Romo sidelined, Cowboys need more from running game

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
With Tony Romo sidelined, Cowboys need more from running game

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- A 12-yard scramble by Tony Romo is the Dallas Cowboys' second-longest run this season, which pretty much tells you all you need to know about their running game so far.

The Cowboys have just two runs of 10 yards or more this season. No team has fewer.

Joseph Randle is averaging 3.4 yards on 34 carries and has yet to gain more than 65 yards in a game, while Darren McFadden is averaging 2.9 yards on 16 carries.

“We have to do a better job running the football. We were behind the chains way too much in this ballgame and kind of digging out,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "You have procedure penalties and holding penalties and you see a lot second-and-12, second-and-16 and first-and-20, and those are hard drives to overcome.

"We’re at our best when we’re balanced. We’re at our best when we control the line of scrimmage and run the football because it gives us great looks down the field to throw it and make the big plays down the field that we've made in this offense over a number of years."

The Cowboys will need to get more from their running game over the next 8-10 weeks while Romo recovers from a broken left collarbone.

The best way to make backup quarterback Brandon Weeden comfortable is to create manageable third-down situations for him, and the way to do that is to have success running the ball on first and second down.

The Cowboys are averaging just 3.41 yards per carry on first down, 27th in the league. Last season, the Cowboys were second in the NFL in first-down rushing offense at 5.07 yards per carry.

Some of it has to do with the offensive line, which hasn’t found a rhythm yet with the running game as it adjusts to a pair of new runners.

Some of the blame goes to the runners. There’s a difference between DeMarco Murray's physical, downhill running style and the way Randle and McFadden run.

Randle is more elusive and runs with a herky-jerky style, while McFadden is more of a fast straight-line runner.

“What we’re going to try to do is be a balanced offensive attack, and it starts with being able to run the football even when the numbers aren’t right,” Garrett said. “That’s one of the best things we did last year.

“The numbers weren’t right a lot, but we continued to persist and make that running game go for us.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This article says the line has to adjust to new runners. Completely wrong. The runner has to make the adjustments. The line just needs to execute as a unit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's time for Michael. Our running backs are simply not good enough.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's time for Michael. Our running backs are simply not good enough.
Agree completely. The choice of who will sits out is clear to me. Everyone on the current committee has had some production but McFadden. Michael can surely improve on his numbers.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So much for the mistaken notion that any one of 500 backs could run behind this line. Epic fail.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So much for the mistaken notion that any one of 500 backs could run behind this line. Epic fail.
To be fair I don't think Murray would have done much behind the run blocking we have had so far this year. Of course it would be more then the 11 yards he has so far.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They need more from the OL too. I am not excusing Randle or McFadden at all, but the OL is hardly as much of a dominant force as it was touted as.

Don't know if it is just them not working together or inferior coaching going from Callahan to Pollack.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This article says the line has to adjust to new runners. Completely wrong. The runner has to make the adjustments. The line just needs to execute as a unit.
I don't think the line has been executing very well either. Some of the angles look very wrong. They also seem to be farting around with some man concepts. They just need to go back to the stretch zone exclusively and just perfect that. Keep it simple.

Top Bottom