Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Is Dallas going to be able to field an entire team Sunday?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas does well vs. one-dimensional teams and the Falcons are very one-dimensional, especially without Tevin Coleman.

Jiggyfly

Banned

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Did Dunbar do any work at PR during the preseason?

I'm just thinking about possible returner options other than Beasely.

With our limitations on offense it would be nice to have a returner back there who gives us a chance to at least pick up 10 yards of field position.

Cotton

Staff member
Did Dunbar do any work at PR during the preseason?

I'm just thinking about possible returner options other than Beasely.

With our limitations on offense it would be nice to have a returner back there who gives us a chance to at least pick up 10 yards of field position.
Yes, Dunbar worked some at PR. I'm not sure why they aren't giving him a shot at it now.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys-Falcons features undefeated teams but not big-game feel

Todd ArcherVaughn McClure

The Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys face off in the only meeting this week between 2-0 teams, but the big-game feel isn’t quite there.

The headline for the week is who is not playing on the Cowboys' end. Tony Romo is out for at least the next seven games with a broken collarbone and Brandon Weeden starts. Dez Bryant is also out.

The Falcons are a surprise under new coach Dan Quinn, having beaten the Cowboys’ two NFC East rivals: the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants.

What does improving to 3-0 mean? Maybe not as much as you would think.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, teams that have started 3-0 since 1990 have made the playoffs 31 percent of the time. Teams that have started 2-1 have made the postseason 47 percent of the time.

NFL Nation reporters Vaughn McClure and Todd Archer bring you this week’s Double Coverage.

Todd Archer: OK, Vaughn, Cowboys fans need some good news. Bryant is out after surgery to repair a broken fifth metatarsal. Julio Jones went through the same injury and has flourished. Should there be optimism about Bryant?

Vaughn McClure: I think they definitely should look at it with optimism. Jones has dealt with a fracture in his right foot twice and has been able to return to a high level of play. I heard rumblings about the history with his foot being a factor holding up negotiations toward a new long-term contract this summer, but that didn’t stop the Falcons from rewarding Jones with an extension through 2020 that included $47 million guaranteed. Jones said he felt stronger coming off the second surgery because he was able to build strength in his quads, hamstring and glutes. His explosion is evident and he has not lost any of his blazing speed. That being said, no one knows if Bryant’s foot will heal in the same fashion as Jones’ did. In fact, Jones' advice to Bryant was to proceed with caution.

Speaking of Jones, I know Rod Marinelli was a big proponent of the Cover 2 defense and not switching things up too much in the past. How do you expect Marinelli to address the threat of Jones?

Archer: You’re right. Marinelli has altered his philosophy. He has played single-high safety looks and relied on his corners to play more man-to-man because Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne are better man corners than zone players. He’s not a guy who likes to change much up from week to week, like you said, so I wouldn’t expect the Cowboys to have Carr follow Jones around the field. If Jones is on Carr’s side, they’ll throw over-the-top help a little bit his way and the same for Claiborne.

Should we take the Falcons seriously with this 2-0 start? They have to be looking at this game as a win without Romo and Bryant on offense and a defense that will be without Greg Hardy, Rolando McClain and Randy Gregory.

McClure: It doesn’t matter who is on the field for the opposition. The Falcons have to take every win they can get after finishing 10-22 over the previous two seasons. Quinn has instilled an energy and enthusiasm that seems to be infectious. The Falcons’ offense always should be taken seriously with Matt Ryan, Jones and Roddy White in the picture and new targets emerging in Leonard Hankerson and Jacob Tamme. If the Falcons can establish a consistent running game (they’ve already lost rookie Tevin Coleman for a few weeks with a fractured rib, leaving Devonta Freeman as the primary back) and set up the play-action passes in the manner in which offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan wants them to work, then the offense will be that much more dangerous. From a defensive standpoint, there’s vast improvement already but much work to be done. The lack of a consistent pass rush -- despite the addition of rookie Vic Beasley (one sack) -- and missed tackles are big reasons the Falcons stand 29th in the league in pass defense after two games, allowing 313.5 yards per contest.

Obviously it’s hard to imagine the Cowboys functioning the same without Romo in the lineup. What can we truly expect from Weeden?

Archer: What’s interesting to me about Weeden is that when he’s come off the bench to replace Romo, he’s been pretty good. His start last year against Arizona did not go well. It wasn’t entirely his fault. The receivers were locked down by the Cardinals cornerbacks and created no separation, even Bryant. But I think the coaches bear some responsibility as well. They might have been too passive in their approach. As you said, Weeden can make all the throws. I don’t foresee him throwing it all over the yard. I do think they will lean on the line and the running game, but I do think you’ll see Scott Linehan have a better feel for what Weeden likes and doesn’t like.

For years everybody has debated Tony Romo’s eliteness. That’s not a word is it? So let me ask this one: Matt Ryan, elite quarterback?

McClure: Let’s put it this way: Ryan has the tools to be an elite quarterback. He’s a tall, strong pocket passer, is intelligent and has shown some surprising athleticism in the new offensive scheme. Is he playing like an elite quarterback right now? He would be the first to say no. The one thing I admire about Ryan is his willingness to own up to his mistakes. He threw two bad interceptions in the opener against the Eagles that made the game closer than it needed to be and he almost threw a third. There were a couple of questionable throws against the Giants last week, too, including one Jones amazingly snagged out of the air in front of the defender. Ryan doesn’t have a cannon arm, but he can be extremely accurate when protected well. If the Falcons come together as a team and eventually return to the postseason, Ryan’s status as an elite quarterback will be determined by how far he leads the Falcons into the postseason. So far, he has just one playoff win in five appearances.

I’ve heard so much talk about this offensive line and how special it is. Do you anticipate the Cowboys will have success pounding the ball on the ground against the Falcons?

Archer: Well, it’s time this “best line in football” starts playing like the best line in football. The Cowboys knew this was going to be a challenge running the ball with how well they did it last year. But last year they saw a lot of favorable looks that opened up lanes. Playing division foes in the first two weeks has really been a challenge because those teams spent the entire offseason game planning for this scheme. Left guard Ronald Leary said they need to play better whether Romo was in there or not. They know there’s pressure on them now without Romo and defenses will dare them to beat them through the air. The Cowboys have to do a better job of running ball without favorable looks up front.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Looks fine to me. :towel

Cotton

Staff member

Well, this sucks ass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well, this sucks ass.
Didn't even know that was an issue. Sucks too, he had a great game against the Eagles.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Crap. This is getting to the point to where I am starting to hope the team isn't embarrassed. Is there enough walking bodies to field a team?

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Looks very likely that Russell with finally be active.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom