Eagles Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys will be all ends on deck with Randy Gregory out

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – On Tuesday, Randy Gregory was in a walking boot on his way to the training room for treatment on his high ankle sprain.

The Dallas Cowboys hope their rookie defensive end misses only four games, but Gregory hopes he is a quick healer.

“I’ll be alright,” Gregory said. “I mean feels lot better than it did the day I got hurt. Woke up (Tuesday) morning, it was a little bit swollen but getting a lot of treatment and I’m about to get more treatment. Hopefully I’ll be back quicker.”

Gregory’s absence creates a void for the Cowboys’ pass rush. He might only be a rookie, but his absence combined with the suspension of Greg Hardy leaves the Cowboys shorthanded, starting with Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Cowboys will continue to start Jeremy Mincey and DeMarcus Lawrence at defensive end, but will have to use Jack Crawford and rookie Ryan Russell, who was inactive in the season opener. It’s possible linebacker Kyle Wilber will take some defensive end snaps as well.

“It changes a lot,” Mincey said of Gregory’s absence. “But we’ve got to just adjust the way we’ve been doing it.”

The pace at which the Eagles play affects the defensive line. It is harder to make substitutions. The rotation can get out of whack.

“just try to hold your breath, man,” Mincey said. “Hang in there as long as you can and go as hard as you can until you get to a point where you can sub in and out. That’s the nature of their game. That’s what coach Chip Kelly does. He’s up-tempo, but if you’re penetrating and disrupting it can change all of that. We just got to have that in our mind.”

Mincey said he expects the number of snaps he takes at defensive tackle in passing situations to decrease. Crawford spent training camp and the preseason playing defensive tackle before taking some turns in practice last week at end.

When Gregory got hurt against the New York Giants, he moved outside.

“It’s a different feel in terms of the run game and the passing game,” Crawford said. “I think the run game, it’s similar playing that end position. You have a little bit more space to make decisions and set the edge. But in the passing game it’s a little different. You’ve got more time and space between you and the tackle. I’m used to rushing inside so this week I’m just going to touch up on getting more end reps, but I’m not worried about playing end. I’m comfortable in that position.”

Cotton

Staff member
Scouting Report: Can Dallas Cowboys beat Eagles without Dez Bryant?

By Mark Eckel | For NJ Advance Media

Can the Dallas Cowboys win without All-Pro wide receiver Dez Bryant, out for likely six weeks, or more, with a broken bone in his foot?

"Can they? Sure, but it's going to be a lot harder,'' a top NFC personnel man, who knows the Cowboys well, said. "He's the most dynamic playmaker in the league.''

The Eagles get first crack at the Cowboys, sans Bryant, this week when Tony Romo and the rest of the 'Boys come to Lincoln Financial Field for a NFC East battle. Las Vegas has installed the Eagles as an early five-point favorite.

"I think it will be a good game, lot of points,'' the personnel man said "But I think, at home, the Eagles should win.''

Here is a breakdown of the Cowboys through the personnel man's eyes.

OFFENSE

It's going to fall on Romo to have a very good game for Dallas to come into the Linc and win. He can do it. Despite the criticism he gets, Romo is a very good quarterback. He took the Cowboys down the field to beat the Giants on the final drive, without Bryant.

Dallas is going to have to have a balanced attack. If Romo has to throw 40-something times, the Cowboys are probably in trouble.

The offensive line is good, but not as great as people think. They have two great players, Tyron Smith (left tackle) and Zach Martin (right guard). The other three are OK. They don't hurt you, but they're not great. But the line is a lot better than the one the Eagles saw in Atlanta.

Without Bryant, tight end Jason Witten becomes Romo's go-to guy, as he was on the final touchdown drive against the Giants. The veteran is still on top of his game. "It's amazing,'' the personnel man said. "He's the same dude he was over 10 years ago. Nothing's changed, hasn't slipped at all.''

The other wide receivers — Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Devin Street — are average. Beasley, however, could cause the Eagles problems out of the slot.

Dallas will run the ball, but without DeMarco Murray, it's not the same. Joseph Randle, who gained 65 yards on 16 carries against the Giants, is OK. Darren McFadden (six carries for 16 yards) is not the answer.

DEFENSE

Coordinator Rod Marinelli does a great job. He gets more out of those guys than he should. There really isn't a lot of talent, but they all play hard and they give him what they got. He deserves a lot of credit for any success they have.

Marinelli employs a 4-3 scheme, but the front four didn't get a lot of pressure against a make-shift Giants offensive line last week. Eli Manning was sacked just once, by Tyrone Crawford, on 37 pass attempts and was hit just two other times. Crawford, who was just signed to a new contract, is the best of the group as an inside rusher. The Cowboys will also be without rookie pass rusher Randy Gregory, who gave the team a little spark. If the Cowboys don't get pressure on Sam Bradford it could be rough day for the defense.

Sean Lee, back from a season-ending knee injury in 2014, is the best linebacker and probably the best playmaker on the defense. But injuries over the years have taken their toll on the once-promising Penn State product.

In the secondary, the Cowboys start Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne at corner and J.J. Wilcox and Barry Church at safety. Tyler Patmon is the nickel. Rookie first-round pick Byron Jones is a backup, for now. The scheme they play is better than the players. The Giants had guys open most of the night. "Chip (Kelly) will get guys open,'' the personnel man said. "The Eagles will score points.''

SPECIAL TEAMS

The kicker, Dan Bailey, is real good. The punter, Chris Jones, is decent. Their return game isn't anything to write home about and the coverage team didn't have to do much against the Giants.

Cotton

Staff member
10 things to know about the Philadelphia Eagles, including DeMarco Murray's dud in his debut

DMN Staff Writer

As the Cowboys get set to face the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, here are 10 things you need to know about Dallas' next opponent.

1. The Eagles are on a short week

Philadelphia lost to Atlanta, 26-24, on Monday Night. They haven't played the Cowboys coming off of a short week since 2012. That year they lost to New Orleans on Monday night and then followed that up with a 38-33 loss to the Cowboys on Sunday.

2. Sam Bradford had an up and down day in his first start as Eagles quarterback, and then got an X-ray

Bradford came to the Eagles this offseason in a trade that sent Nick Foles to the Rams. In his first game, he struggled early and the Eagles fell behind 20-3 at halftime. But Bradford found his groove in the second half and led a comeback attempt that fell just short, thanks in part to an Eagles missed 44-yard field goal with 2:32 left. In total Bradford went 36 for 52 for 336 yards, with one touchdown and two interceptions. After the game he received an x-ray on his ankle, according Fox 29's Howard Eskin, but the x-rays came back negative.

3. DeMarco Murray's debut wasn't good

After leading the NFL in rushing a year a go, Murray rushed just eight times for nine yards in Week 1. He also caught four passes for 11 yards. But he did register two touchdowns, one rushing and one receiving.

4. Unlike the Cowboys, they're relatively healthy

Tight end Zach Ertz and linebacker Marcus Smith were the only two players on the injury report heading into Week 1. Ertz, who had a groin injury, played against Atlanta and caught three passes for 46 yards. Smith, who has a hamstring injury, didn't play. It's unclear whether he'll be available for Sunday.

5. Visiting Philadelphia has been good for the Cowboys

The Cowboys have a 5-5 record against the Eagles the last five years, but they've won the last three games in Philadelphia. Their last road loss to the Eagles came in 2011, when they fell 34-7 to the Eagles thanks to LeSean McCoy's 30 carries, 185 yards and two touchdowns. McCoy, of course, is now in Buffalo.

6. The Eagles invested heavily to find a premier cornerback. After one game it's not going well.

In free agency this year, the Eagles signed cornerback Byron Maxwell to a six-year, $63 million deal in hopes he would be the team's top corner. Maxwell spent most of the Eagles' first game lined up against Julio Jones. The Falcons receiver caught nine passes on 11 targets for 141 yards and two touchdowns. With Dez Bryant out, Maxwell will likely face Terrance Williams for most of the game on Sunday.

7. They have a new weapon on offense

The Eagles let Jeremy Maclin walk in free agency, but added another offensive weapon as a replacement when they drafted receiver Nelson Agholor 20th overall in this year's draft. Agholor caught one pass for five yards on Monday.

8. They also have a new stable at running back

Running back LeSean McCoy is gone to Buffalo. Replacing him is Murray, Ryan Mathews and Darren Sproles. Only Sproles was with the team last year. Expect all three to see significant time on Sunday.

9. They got a pretty good return in the McCoy trade

In exchange for trading McCoy to Buffalo, the Eagles received linebacker Kiko Alonso, who made one of the great plays of Week 1: a leaping one-handed interception in the end zone. Here's a look:

10. Interceptions available

The Eagles are a prime candidate to give the Cowboys their first takeway of the season. Last year, Philadelphia threw the most interceptions in the league with 21 total. Through one week they were one of nine teams to throw two interceptions in the first week of the season.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys know DeMarco Murray will be ready

IRVING, Texas -- DeMarco Murray had the best rushing season in Dallas Cowboys' history in 2014.

He led the NFL with 1,845 yards, setting a franchise record. His 392 carries were also a franchise record. He was named the NFL’s Offensive Player of the Year and an All Pro. Three of Murray’s blockers were named to the Pro Bowl: Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin.

“It was a special year last year, but last year is last year,” said left guard Ronald Leary. “We got a lot of respect for DeMarco but you see him -- he’s putting that green jersey on now. I mean he’s on the other side of the fence now so it’s just about the Cowboys right now.”

The Cowboys get to see Murray in a Philadelphia Eagles uniform for the first time on Sunday when they travel to Lincoln Financial Field.

Murray’s departure from the Cowboys was made tougher because he chose an NFC East rival. The Cowboys were not willing to get into the big-money required to keep him. Murray received $21 million from the Eagles, while the Cowboys were willing to only give $12 million guaranteed.

After Murray signed with the Eagles, the team put out a rare statement on the running back’s departure from owner and general manager Jerry Jones that focused mostly on the financial decision but also about Jones’ affection for Murray.

The Cowboys tried to keep Murray emotionally attached before free agency. He was with Tony Romo and Jason Witten during Jason Garrett’s visit to Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski. He was greeted by a standing ovation on the Cowboys’ bus after receiving the Offensive Player of the Year award prior to the Super Bowl.

Ultimately the decision came down to finances.

And the Cowboys know Murray has been pointing to this game. After being limited to 9 yards on eight carries in the Eagles’ season-opening loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Monday, he will be doubly ready.

“He’s focused,” defensive end Jeremy Mincey said. “I tell you what, he’s probably in the cold tub right now or stretching trying to find that extra yardage when he plays against us, which you can’t blame him. You got to come with you’re A game. This was his crowd so I’m sure he wants to represent himself and play the best game he can. And we got to be prepared and ready for it.”

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

D

Deuce

If Murray lays another egg, especially since it's against us, than Philly fans may turn on him after two games.

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo, Ronald Leary sitting out of Cowboys' practice

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is continuing to follow his normal practice routine of sitting out of Wednesday’s workout to preserve and strengthen his back, but he was joined on the sidelines by left guard Ronald Leary.

Leary left in the second half of the Cowboys’ season-opening win against the New York Giants with a groin injury. On Tuesday he expressed hope to be able to play Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, but if he can’t then Mackenzy Bernadeau will start.

If Leary can’t go, the Cowboys will be down two starters on offense with Dez Bryant out following foot surgery on Monday. Pass-rusher Randy Gregory is also not practicing because of a high ankle sprain.

Newly acquired wide receiver Brice Butler and tackle Charles Brown were on the practice field for the first time.

The Cowboys picked up Butler in a trade from the Oakland Raiders. He was inactive for the Raiders in Week 1, but caught 30 passes for 383 yards and two touchdowns in 25 games for Oakland over two seasons.

"He has some of the traits we look for in a young receiver," coach Jason Garrett said. "He’s big. He can run. He has a feel for playing the position. You see him run routes outside. You see him run routes inside. You see him make plays. It seems like he’s comfortable, he’s advanced for his age and he has some physical traits that you like. We felt like with Dez being out we needed to bring another guy in here."

Brown will replace Darrion Weems as the Cowboys’ backup offensive tackle behind Tyron Smith and Doug Free. He has 22 starts in his career -- all with the New Orleans Saints. He worked out for the Cowboys last week.

"He’s played snaps in this league at tackle," Garrett said. "He’s played against us in games. He’s a good football player."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The offensive line is good, but not as great as people think. They have two great players, Tyron Smith (left tackle) and Zach Martin (right guard). The other three are OK. They don't hurt you, but they're not great. But the line is a lot better than the one the Eagles saw in Atlanta.

ORly?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dez is out, but the good news is their secondary sucks. I can't see them covering Witten or Beasley consistently. If Williams is focused, he can certainly burn Maxwell. If we get Vinny Curry in coverage against our backs they will slaughter him.

On defense we have to watch the under neath stuff and get as much pressure on Bradford as possible. Their guards suck so I could see a big game for Crawford.

It's a shame we aren't at full strength because I think we'd handle them pretty well. Dez and Hardy in particular would give them fits.

They are seriously underestimating us in Philly. I hope the eagles are too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Eagles were saving Murray last week for the Cowboys game this week. That's why he saw limited action.

dallen

Senior Tech
If Murray lays another egg, especially since it's against us, than Philly fans may turn on him after two games.
Philly fans are known for their patience and forgiving manner

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Liar.

D

Deuce

No that's why they limited his involvement.
Maybe his involvement was limited because he had 12 total touches with basically no impact. Maybe Chip saw that their O sucked with him in the first half and when they went to attacking the edge of the Falcons D, they had more success. Out of the 3 backs the Eagles use, guess who is the least effective when attacking the edge?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe his involvement was limited because he had 12 total touches with basically no impact. Maybe Chip saw that their O sucked with him in the first half and when they went to attacking the edge of the Falcons D, they had more success. Out of the 3 backs the Eagles use, guess who is the least effective when attacking the edge?
The productive runs were called back because of penalties. If you saw the game you know that.

D

Deuce

The productive runs were called back because of penalties. If you saw the game you know that.
I did see the game. The fact that his only real production needed penalties to spring him is another concern.

Top Bottom