Watkins: Does Tony Romo hold the ball too long?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Does Tony Romo hold the ball too long?
May, 20, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

There was this interesting story regarding Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick recently.
Vick has taken exception from the notion that he doesn't read defenses well and that he holds the ball too long, which leads to sacks and poor decisions. Vick was sacked 28 times last year, 22 times in losses.

After reading this, it got me to thinking about Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. He was sacked 36 times in 2012. It's easy to blame the offensive line on the sacks, but sometimes you wonder what Romo is doing with the football.

Yes, it's good to see Romo move from pressure to extend plays. When he does this the receivers have to find open spots on the field to receive a pass. Laurent Robinson was so good at this in 2011 that Romo found him 54 times for 858 yards and a team-leading 11 touchdowns. All of these throws weren't on the run, but Robinson was able to leave defenders to get free.

It's interesting to see if Romo missed Robinson last season when under duress. Maybe Romo could have curtailed on some of the sacks if he knew when moving out of the pocket there was a receiver who understood about getting to open spots on the field. Outside of Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, the Cowboys receiving corps was pretty inexperienced.

A quarterback is supposed to get rid of the ball in about two seconds. Is that a lot of time? Depends on what's happening. There were times when Romo held the ball for about four to five seconds as he scrambled out of the pocket. Sometimes he held the ball for two seconds and still got sacked. Is that Romo's fault? The offensive line's? Receivers? Running backs?

It's hard to say.
The bottom line is Romo has to protect the ball better in 2013 or the 36 sacks the team allowed in 2012 will go up in 2013.
--------------
I think having to use Witten as a substitute for the running game and Ogletree's ineffectiveness added to the problem. Laurent Robinson was getting open in 2011 and our OL wasn't quite as bad. But overall, Romo was under seige quicker last year than in previous years...if that's possible.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Robinson IMO was a great compliment to Romo. They just clicked. Funny how Jerry will dump money into turds like unneeded TE's, Scandricks, Free's, etc but wouldn't pony up for a guy who proved without a doubt he could really help Romo out when things got rough.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It kind of turned out OK letting him go though because of the concussions. I'd bring him back though if he checks out...some QB/WR combos just click.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo has to throw the ball away more often. It is one of the few stone cold weaknesses in his game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I couldn't fault the team for not re-signing Robinson the year he bolted for Jacksonville. It was ridiculous money.

But I'd go get him back now though.

Dez
Miles
Robinson
Harris
Williams
Coale?

Nice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I couldn't fault the team for not re-signing Robinson the year he bolted for Jacksonville. It was ridiculous money.

But I'd go get him back now though.

Dez
Miles
Robinson
Harris
Williams
Coale?

Nice.
I was for bringing him back before the draft. I don't see what role he would play right now we have Williams.

Not saying we are loaded, I just think it's tough to keep six WRs active on Sundays and I don't think he plays on special teams.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like Coale and all, but he could hit the road in favor of Robinson.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Robinson just isn't the same player he was because of the concussions. I also like Williams, Harris, and Coale whose progress becomes impeded by Robinson if he's here.

Better to get him as a late pickup when one of our WR's inevitably gets banged up.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Robinson just isn't the same player he was because of the concussions. I also like Williams, Harris, and Coale whose progress becomes impeded by Robinson if he's here.

Better to get him as a late pickup when one of our WR's inevitably gets banged up.
That would be acceptable.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I agree the best option is to bring him in as a street FA if/when one of our WR gets injured.

Top Bottom