Texas Police Tase Overweight Asthmatic to Death in Drug Raid That Uncovers No Drugs

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Shouldn't be possible to tase anyone to death, I smell exaggeration.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I would think it's very possible if the person is two big macs from a heart attack already and get's a sudden shot of electricity.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I would think it's very possible if the person is two big macs from a heart attack already and get's a sudden shot of electricity.
The voltage is too high for the electricity to actually travel over the heart (like it would if you took a bath with a toaster) so if someone has a heart attack it's because being tased causes them to panic.

townsend

Banned
I don't get how officers justify use of weapons without some kind of threat or demonstration of force by their target.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
The voltage is too high for the electricity to actually travel over the heart (like it would if you took a bath with a toaster) so if someone has a heart attack it's because being tased causes them to panic.
Uhh, yeah, exactly. getting tased when they would otherwise be calm might cause a panic/heart attack.

Last edited:

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
To be fair, I can see how it would be totally normal if you're sitting in your house, minding your own business, not doing anything illegal or stressful... and all the sudden a bunch of cops bust in and tase the shit out of you.

:lol

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't get how officers justify use of weapons without some kind of threat or demonstration of force by their target.
I think a certain percentage of them go in with a "I'll put you down!" attitude but those are only the rabid minority. In general there have been countless reports where it sounded totally unnecessary. Seems like a result of them being given too much liberty with it, IMO. You'd think as deaths start to pile up they'd learn that things can go wrong and they should only use it when absolutely necessary. If families start winning big settlement cases they'll probably have to crack down on the amount of usage, right?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They have been given tazers so as not to have to use more lethal force.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
You get a bunch of cops together and they aren't much better than any other gang.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I think a certain percentage of them go in with a "I'll put you down!" attitude but those are only the rabid minority. In general there have been countless reports where it sounded totally unnecessary. Seems like a result of them being given too much liberty with it, IMO. You'd think as deaths start to pile up they'd learn that things can go wrong and they should only use it when absolutely necessary. If families start winning big settlement cases they'll probably have to crack down on the amount of usage, right?
I could be wrong, but I believe the police have a serious degree of qualified immunity while carrying out their duties and there's a pretty high standard like showing a willful act of negligence before they can be found liable for even a case of wrongful death like this one. So the idea of suing them to cut back on this gestapo crap may not work. It seems this happens a lot and they more or less get away with it unscathed, at least from a liability standpoint.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Can't have a police state without the police having immunity to just about everything.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I could be wrong, but I believe the police have a serious degree of qualified immunity while carrying out their duties and there's a pretty high standard like showing a willful act of negligence before they can be found liable for even a case of wrongful death like this one. So the idea of suing them to cut back on this gestapo crap may not work. It seems this happens a lot and they more or less get away with it unscathed, at least from a liability standpoint.
Even if they win it will cost the PD a ton of money in lawyers, that will start to pile up and the budget people will start telling them to cut out the bullshit. Plus it will have to go up in front of a jury and if the jury decides, the department will pay.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The taser is a two-edged sword. If it wasn't for tasers you can be sure that many more people would be shot instead of tased. The other side of it is the fact that it doesn't usually cause any permanent damage so the cops are way faster to use it than they would be if their only weapon was a gun or a stick.

Cotton

Staff member
Yes, let's take tazers out of cops hands so their only option is shooting someone. Aren't you all the same damn people that advocated neutering cops to a degree? Neutering would be leaving them with a non-lethal option.

Make up your damn mind.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yes, let's take tazers out of cops hands so their only option is shooting someone. Aren't you all the same damn people that advocated neutering cops to a degree? Neutering would be leaving them with a non-lethal option.

Make up your damn mind.
Having cops focus on important crimes instead of bullshit like chicken-shit radar tickets, pot busts and loitering teenagers will make whatever violence results far more justifiable.

Who here will actually get mad when a cop shoots a murderer or a rapist?

Cotton

Staff member
Having cops focus on important crimes instead of bullshit like chicken-shit radar tickets, pot busts and loitering teenagers will make whatever violence results far more justifiable.

I have said this before, but you should get mad at the legislators, not the ones enforcing the laws in place.

Cops aren't shooting at murderers 24/7, so they are forced to, you know, enforce other laws like possessing marijuana. And, sometimes, that enforcement leads them to have to use measures like tazing someone instead of shooting them. I am in agreement of that measure.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

My favorite are the people who get arrested for resisting arrest. It's funny how freedom of speech doesn't really exist when cops are around.

Top Bottom