Dallas Cowboys work out former Saints 2nd-round OT Charles Brown

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dallas Cowboys work out former Saints 2nd-round OT Charles Brown
47m
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- A day after claiming offensive tackle Jordan Mills off waivers from the Chicago Bears, the Dallas Cowboys worked out Charles Brown.

The Cowboys added Mills to bolster their offensive tackle depth behind Tyron Smith and Doug Free. Darrion Weems, the presumptive backup, not having any regular-season experience. Mills started 29 games in his first two years with the Bears.

Brown was a second-round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 2010 and started 22 games in his four seasons, including 14 starts in 2013. He played sparingly for the New York Giants last season, went to training camp with the New York Jets this summer and was among their final cuts over the weekend.

It's not clear if the Cowboys will add Brown, but they at least were able to put him through a workout should a need arise later in the season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd be in favor of signing him if Weems is the cut.

Brown was always a guy that I thought would amount to something but never has though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd be in favor of signing him if Weems is the cut.

Brown was always a guy that I thought would amount to something but never has though.
They keep kicking the tires on what seem to be lost causes.

Not impressed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well there isn't really much else.
I don't see why it took them a camp of Weems to get alarmed. They should have thought twice about taking a turd like Green too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't see why it took them a camp of Weems to get alarmed. They should have thought twice about taking a turd like Green too.
Well you wanted a RB in the 3rd instead of Green anyway.

So what should the plan have been?

Listen, I take more crap than anyone for wanting to toss guys who I don't view as keepers off the roster. Weems is one of them, Parnell would have been one too. And I'm all for dumping Weems still.

But taking a flyer on Charles Brown might just be part of the churn process. They also went out and got Mills. I don't see other teams landing guys with this much potential at this stage of the offseason.

And if you are saying they should have invested more money in a swing tackle in free agency, I'm not so sure that was affordable, and I'm not sure they could have come away with a better option in the draft.

They are in great shape along the OL. It's the best unit in the league, and they could move EITHER Zack Martin OR La'el Collins out to RT if they had to. On top of that they have the luxury of redshirting a guy like Green and if he can get healthy, he can actually be a perfect backup swing tackle (maybe not what you'd like out of every third round pick, but its something at least).

I just don't get the angst. Save it for RB, DT, or safety.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well you wanted a RB in the 3rd instead of Green anyway.

So what should the plan have been?

Listen, I take more crap than anyone for wanting to toss guys who I don't view as keepers off the roster. Weems is one of them, Parnell would have been one too. And I'm all for dumping Weems still.

But taking a flyer on Charles Brown might just be part of the churn process. They also went out and got Mills. I don't see other teams landing guys with this much potential at this stage of the offseason.

And if you are saying they should have invested more money in a swing tackle in free agency, I'm not so sure that was affordable, and I'm not sure they could have come away with a better option in the draft.

They are in great shape along the OL. It's the best unit in the league, and they could move EITHER Zack Martin OR La'el Collins out to RT if they had to. On top of that they have the luxury of redshirting a guy like Green and if he can get healthy, he can actually be a perfect backup swing tackle (maybe not what you'd like out of every third round pick, but its something at least).

I just don't get the angst. Save it for RB, DT, or safety.
I am not gripped with angst about the tackle position. My thing is they spent a premium pick on Green and other resources when it was clear when Parnell left, that things weren't good. Now there is overkill.

Yeah, it is nit picky, but how this team does things just seems strange at times. Like you said, we have other just as large "holes" and you don't see the emphasis.

It just looks like they suddenly decided OL and OL depth is a big deal and they are devoting a shit ton of time and effort to it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Soooooo Weems is not good?

Maybe we should try Collins there now?

:tippytoe

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am not gripped with angst about the tackle position. My thing is they spent a premium pick on Green and other resources when it was clear when Parnell left, that things weren't good. Now there is overkill.

Yeah, it is nit picky, but how this team does things just seems strange at times. Like you said, we have other just as large "holes" and you don't see the emphasis.

It just looks like they suddenly decided OL and OL depth is a big deal and they are devoting a shit ton of time and effort to it.
Well OL and DL are where they should be devoting a shit ton of time, effort and resources. I'd much rather be deep there than at RB or DB. And hey -- Mills is no pro bowler, but how many other teams would be able to insert a 24 year old tackle who has started 29 games into their lineup if a starter goes down? He's not great, but he's not Weems either.

I think everyone is a little miffed about the overall RB situation, especially in a year where we have Super Bowl hopes. I would have liked to see them cough up a little more and try to get an established back with some pedigree in here to be our main option. But it's also hard to complain about them sticking to a philosophy of valuing their draft picks and building that way. Our draft class from this past draft looks very good, so I'd like to see that commitment continue.

Aside from the RB issue, there's not a ton to complain about. We put a priority on the lines, which is how games are won (despite Marinelli's weird reluctance to invest in a legit NT). We seem to have hit on a couple solid mid round linebackers in Hitchens and Wilson, which add to some star power in Lee and McClain if they can stay healthy. And even though we've wasted resources in the secondary like it's going out of style, the result of that overpayment is that even underperformers like Carr and Claiborne have serious NFL talent if they can put together a halfway competent campaign on their end.... which will be much easier for them to do if we have a decent pass rush.

We are clearly primed to match up with Green Bay and Seattle IF the pass rush and run game situation turns out like we'd hope. And if Chip Kelly isn't a mastermind.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
I feel like this guy has had a lot of chances, but every time he is about to get it someone moves the ball out from under him

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I feel like this guy has had a lot of chances, but every time he is about to get it someone moves the ball out from under him
Egads!

Top Bottom