Archer: Terrance Williams' speed can be Cowboys' game changer

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Terrance Williams' speed can be Cowboys' game changer

4h

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- At 6-foot-2, 208 pounds, Terrance Williams doesn’t have the look of a speed receiver. At the scouting combine in 2013, he was timed at 4.52 seconds in the 40-yard dash, hardly the sign of a speed receiver.

But there is timed speed and play speed and Williams plays faster.

That was evident in the Dallas Cowboys’ 28-14 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at AT&T Stadium.

On Williams’ 60-yard touchdown catch, he eluded Xavier Rhodes at the line of scrimmage, picked up speed as he crossed the field in front of safety Robert Blanton and left Harrison Smith flatfooted. Once Smith collided with Blanton, the closest defender to Williams was linebacker Gerald Hodges.

And Williams found another gear.

“Coach [Jason] Garrett and Coach [Scott Linehan], they talk about it a lot that you need to win the big plays and the big chunk plays,” Williams said. “I just think the more chances I get with the ball in my hands that that’s always in the back of my mind to get a big play.”

Once Williams saw the safeties collide, he saw the end zone.

“I didn’t waste any steps on looking behind me,” Williams said. “Just running and trusting my speed.”

The last seven times Williams has touched the ball, going back to the 2014 playoffs, he has touchdowns of 76 (vs. Detroit Lions), 38 (vs. Green Bay Packers) and 60 yards. For his career he has six touchdowns of at least 38 yards.

For his career, he is averaging 16.8 yards per catch.

“Terrance is one of the best run-after-catch receivers in the league,” quarterback Tony Romo said. “I think he has proven that over and over again. He’s continuing to get better each year in his route running. He took a big step this offseason and I think he’s going to have a very good year.”

With Dez Bryant receiving so much attention from defenses, the Cowboys will need Williams to win his one-on-one matchups and make defenses pay with his speed. The more viable an option he becomes, the more things will open up for Bryant.

In the spring Williams took on more roles on and off the field with Bryant missing the offseason program as he awaited his five-year, $70 million contract.

“He listens to coaching and he just wants to get better,” Garrett said. “He is one of those guys that when you correct him in the meeting or share something on the practice field, he really listens and tries to integrate it immediately. He is like a sponge. I think that is why you’ve seen him grow so much.”

His speed, however, is often underestimated.

“I mean, that’s fine with me,” Williams said. “It’s just one of those things once I have the touchdown locked in my eyes, I just run for it. And I think I try my best to [not] look back. I just run.”

----------

His catch and run in the Minny game was pretty impressive.

He did a similar thing on a dig route against the Lions in the playoffs which got us back in the game.

I think the guy is progressing, could go even beyond the Alvin Harper level I figured he was at.

townsend

Banned
God if our receivers stay healthy, this is going to be one hell of a three headed monster.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Sheesh, a 6'2" reciever that runs a 4.52 is not considered a speed reciever?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well he doesn't seem to be the Rocket Ismail/Joey Galloway type of home run hitting deep threat.

He does seem to be more like Alvin Harper.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Never could understand why some were so eager to replace him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Never could understand why some were so eager to replace him.
Because they are stupid shits that gobbled up Coach-Speak from Derek Dooley about Devin Street.

Is he perfect? Nope.

He body catches at times. He is not a physically dominant receiver in any aspect.

But he gets open and knows how to get Romo's attention on broken plays.

I'll take that in a number two.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
God if our receivers stay healthy, this is going to be one hell of a three headed monster.
Yeah and that probably means we are more apt to abandon the run game and chuck it 40-45 times a game again.

townsend

Banned
Yeah and that probably means we are more apt to abandon the run game and chuck it 40-45 times a game again.
Yes and no. Linehan's not shy about going pass. He's not a putz like Garrett though. I don't think there's every going to be another professional play caller as inept as JG. I don't see us only scoring when we chuck the gameplan in the 4th quarter like we had to in 2012 and 2013. We also aren't going to have all-time worst defenses for Romo to keep up with.

p1_

DCC 4Life
----------
His catch and run in the Minny game was pretty impressive.

He did a similar thing on a dig route against the Lions in the playoffs which got us back in the game.

I think the guy is progressing, could go even beyond the Alvin Harper level I figured he was at.
This is his golden opportunity, it is now time for him to step up and be number 2.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is his golden opportunity, it is now time for him to step up and be number 2.
He has the potential to be the league's best #2, basically another #1. Last year it was Reggie Cobb who took that next step and this year it should be Williams.

Alvin Harper was never ever going to be that guy, though he fooled a lot of people (especially in Tampa) into believing he was or could be.

I have high hopes for Williams, that he can be a Reggie Wayne to Bryant's Marvin Harrison.

Of course Beasley also needs to expand his game, and I hope there's room for both to grow.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Williams is better running horizontal routes than vertical one's. Going vertical he can't always get separation and often times runs routes too close to the boundary. At times he doesn't break off a route soon enough. He is a good receiver but he hasn't fully matured so I hope this is a coming out year for him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Williams is better running horizontal routes than vertical one's. Going vertical he can't always get separation and often times runs routes too close to the boundary. At times he doesn't break off a route soon enough. He is a good receiver but he hasn't fully matured so I hope this is a coming out year for him.
I think you're right on all counts. It all comes down to route-running for him because despite his clear athleticism he doesn't have the body type or straight-line speed, leaping ability, or raw quickness required to gain separation on talent alone.

Henry Ellard was a wizard at it. If Williams can develop half that ability... wow.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
His straight line speed seems good enough when he keeps catching short passes and outrunning everyone for 60 yard TDs...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just wonder how much more he will be able to produce. I certainly think Williams can do better though. With some of the other players on our team we are converting like 70% of the balls thrown their direction. Williams though has some room to improve. He was targeted 64 times last year with only 37 catches. So I'd definitely like to see that go up more. Of course the passes to Williams are more difficult throws because they are usually big play balls. It's why he averaged 16.8 yards per catch last year. Williams really is the big play WR in our offense. He doesn't see a ton of balls but the ones he does see usually are for big chunks.

I'm afraid the only way you'll really see what Williams can do though is if someone like Witten or Bryant gets hurt.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His straight line speed seems good enough when he keeps catching short passes and outrunning everyone for 60 yard TDs...
Right, on a crossing pattern. The point was his strength is not blowing past people straight up on fly patterns.

Top Bottom