Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens unlikely to return to practice until preseason is done

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens unlikely to return to practice until preseason is done

David Moore Follow @DavidMooreDMN Email dmoore@dallasnews.com
Published: August 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Anthony Hitchens is out of his walking boot but will not resume practicing until the preseason is over.

The player expected to open the season as the Cowboys starting middle linebacker bruised his foot on Aug. 15 and hasn’t practiced since. He’s walking without a limp but won’t practice these final two days in Oxnard. Hitchens said Wednesday it’s unlikely he’ll be cleared to practice the following week, meaning the earliest he’ll return is the week leading up to the regular season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 13

“I’m just getting my foot better, doing what they’re telling me to do,’’ said Hitchens, who played briefly in the preseason opener. “I’m doing a lot better than last week. That’s all that matters.

“I’m just trying to get the mental reps. I’m still watching film with the guys, just trying to get better in a different way. It may not be out there on the field but get better in the film room, get stronger in the weight room and get the mental reps.’’

Hitchens found himself at strongside linebacker in organized team activities and the June mini-camp but his work was limited due to a sore ankle. Jasper Brinkley was working in the middle at that point as Rolando McClain was rehabbing from knee surgery.

Hitchens was working as the starter in the middle in this camp until he went down. Kyle Wilber worked in the middle last week and Andrew Gachkar has been there this week.

“We would like to see him back sooner rather than later,’’ head coach Jason Garrett said of Hitchens. “But that gives other guys opportunities to show they belong.

“We will continue our evaluation there.’’

Top Bottom