Archer: Cowboys have a stake in growing Gavin Escobar's role

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys have a stake in growing Gavin Escobar's role

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- There are times, like Sunday's practice, where you can see why the Dallas Cowboys drafted Gavin Escobar in the second round in 2013.

Of course, it was red zone work where his 6-foot-6 frame makes him a nightmare matchup for defensive backs. In one-on-one drills, Escobar could not be stopped. In the compete period, he plucked a Tony Romo fade over safety Jeff Heath for a touchdown. He had a touchdown negated in team drills because of a push off on Barry Church but there was no doubt Romo was going to him before the ball was snapped.

"I like it because I feel like that's where my strengths are," Escobar said. "My size. My catching ability. I feel comfortable down in there."

Escobar had four touchdown catches last season and all but one came in the red zone. Of his six career touchdowns, four have come from inside the opponent's 20-yard line.

With Dez Bryant, who led the NFL in touchdown catches with 16, and DeMarco Murray scoring 13 rushing touchdowns in 2014, touches might seem scarce but Escobar looks at it another way.

"Dez is going to see a lot of double coverage in the red zone," he said, "so we've got to take advantage of our one on ones."

As he enters his third season, Escobar has just 18 career catches for 239 yards. He has played in every game with two starts, but he was unable to unseat James Hanna as the No. 2 tight end behind Jason Witten in the running game last season.

Run blocking was not Escobar's strong suit when he came to the Cowboys and they continue to work with him on it. He had a key block on a Joseph Randle run in Sunday's practice but he also had a holding penalty in the first preseason game against the San Diego Chargers.

"I mean if I look at film from two years ago, I've definitely made a lot of strides," Escobar said.

What Escobar suffers from mostly, however, is the same thing that afflicted Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett, second-round picks in 2006 and '08. Because Witten does not come off the field, all three have been labeled disappointments.

After being traded to Miami, Fasano has had a solid career. Bennett made the Pro Bowl last year with the Chicago Bears after a productive season with the New York Giants in 2012.

"Gavin's arc has a lot to do with the guy who is our starting tight end," coach Jason Garrett said. "[Witten] is pretty good. It's hard to get those reps when Jason Witten is in front of you. We recognize that. It's hard for James Hanna to get those reps. To a certain extent it's hard for [Geoff] Swaim to get those reps. The guy [Witten] is good and he plays every snap. He's played every snap for a long, long time around here."

While Garrett has seen improvement, the lack of statistical production leads to an unfair labeling that Escobar has not lived up to expectations when the team has not found a way to utilize him best. When he was picked, the Cowboys were going to move to an offense that featured two tight ends the way the New England Patriots featured Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

It was the same thought Bill Parcells had when the Cowboys took Fasano in 2006 and Wade Phillips had when the Cowboys took Bennett in 2008.

It didn't work for them with the Cowboys. Escobar has two more seasons to make it work for him.

"A lot of people say when you drafted a guy that high, they want him to come in and be an immediate starter," Garrett said. "What he needs to focus on is taking full advantage of his opportunities and trying to get better each and every day, and he's certainly done that. He's the right kind of guy. He works really hard at getting better every day and we've seen that progress. When he gets an opportunity, he'll be ready for it. ...I certainly have no regrets about us drafting him. We like what he's done and he's going to be better and better each and every day he's out there."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We should re-sign him when his rookie deal is up. He should come cheap, he will have extensive experience with the coaching staff/offensive system and Witten will be going into his age 35 season, which will presumably be his last or second to last year in the league.

Escobar will only be going on 26 at that point and once Witten is gone he can probably give us a solid 700-800 yards and 5-6 TD's a year, much like what Bennett did once he got to Chicago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We should re-sign him when his rookie deal is up. He should come cheap, he will have extensive experience with the coaching staff/offensive system and Witten will be going into his age 35 season, which will presumably be his last or second to last year in the league.

Escobar will only be going on 26 at that point and once Witten is gone he can probably give us a solid 700-800 yards and 5-6 TD's a year, much like what Bennett did once he got to Chicago.
I wonder if Escobar would do that? I feel like Bennett left pissed off and feeling cheated because he never got a chance at the job. I agree about Escobar though. I think he could be a nice replacement for Witten and save us from burning another top pick on his heir to be.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wonder if Escobar would do that? I feel like Bennett left pissed off and feeling cheated because he never got a chance at the job. I agree about Escobar though. I think he could be a nice replacement for Witten and save us from burning another top pick on his heir to be.
Bennett signed a 4 year deal with only about 5 or so million guaranteed, a paltry deal for sure. A few years ago Witten was only about 30 or 31 with no real end to his career in sight, Bennett would have been 30+ by the time Witten retired while Escobar on the other hand will only be about 26 or 27.

Of course I have no idea what Escobar thinks about the situation but the fact that there is a larger age gap between him and Witten than Bennett and Witten probably makes a difference.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"Gavin's arc has a lot to do with the guy who is our starting tight end," coach Jason Garrett said. "[Witten] is pretty good. It's hard to get those reps when Jason Witten is in front of you. We recognize that. It's hard for James Hanna to get those reps. To a certain extent it's hard for [Geoff] Swaim to get those reps. The guy [Witten] is good and he plays every snap. He's played every snap for a long, long time around here."
Then why the hell did you use a second rounder on him?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Kind of glad he did. Eifert has not done much either, except get hurt a lot.
I'm really glad he did, our starting C might be Bernadeau right now

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I was pissed off enough at the bullshit use of a 2nd on a TE, if we had taken Eifert in the 1st I'd have lost my shit. Garrett's obsession with TE's is the number 1 personnel issue I'm concerned with moving forward aside from the eventual franchise QB search.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm not looking forward to the QB search. We got lucky with Romo but the years between Aikman and Romo were horrid. You almost have to purposely tank a season to get a shot at one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bennett signed a 4 year deal with only about 5 or so million guaranteed, a paltry deal for sure. A few years ago Witten was only about 30 or 31 with no real end to his career in sight, Bennett would have been 30+ by the time Witten retired while Escobar on the other hand will only be about 26 or 27.

Of course I have no idea what Escobar thinks about the situation but the fact that there is a larger age gap between him and Witten than Bennett and Witten probably makes a difference.
Unless Witten is retiring the same offseason that Escobar is up for a new contract I don't know if that will work. He can go somewhere and start or he can sit behind Witten for another year hoping he will retire after that season. I think most football players would sign somewhere that would allow them to start.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not looking forward to the QB search. We got lucky with Romo but the years between Aikman and Romo were horrid. You almost have to purposely tank a season to get a shot at one.
Not only that but look at all the top QBs who end up sucking. You could tank it and end up with Blake Bortles. Hell it looks like you may be just as well off taking a guy in the late first early second ala Carr or Bridgewater.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Unless Witten is retiring the same offseason that Escobar is up for a new contract I don't know if that will work. He can go somewhere and start or he can sit behind Witten for another year hoping he will retire after that season. I think most football players would sign somewhere that would allow them to start.
The real question to ask is will Witten be worth his contract at that point, he will be around 8 million per.

I think this will be an important season to evaluate his worth and start discussing his cap impact this offseason.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I was listening to one of the Cowboys' broadcast shows the other day and it seems like they get the impression that Escobar has recently found his testicles. They were saying that earlier in training camp that Church was really getting the better of him (Escobar) on passing drills and talking shit about doing so, then after one instance of Church getting the upper hand on a play in the end zone, somebody (can't remember who they said) questioned Escobar's manhood... well, on the next play, something must have clicked in his brain, because he fought through the contact, held his ground, and made the contested reception for the touchdown. It has been since that point that Escobar has been a different player.

We will see if that trend continues...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The real question to ask is will Witten be worth his contract at that point, he will be around 8 million per.

I think this will be an important season to evaluate his worth and start discussing his cap impact this offseason.
Agreed. I understand he's Cowboys royalty and all but Ware was released for financial reasons so I see no reason to drag an under-performing Witten around on a bloated contract during the twilight of his career.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Not only that but look at all the top QBs who end up sucking. You could tank it and end up with Blake Bortles. Hell it looks like you may be just as well off taking a guy in the late first early second ala Carr or Bridgewater.
Agreed. But I'm of the opinion that finding a good starting QB won't be as rough this time around as it was after Aikman.

Two things shape my opinion.

1) The economics of the game have changed. They're no longer required to hand these unproven 1st round QBs $50M contracts before they even take an NFL snap. I think that was part of the reason that Jerry was digging through garbage bins and the MLB minor league system for starting QBs. I don't think he wanted to roll the dice on some guy straight out of college and be on the hook for $50M for a bust. It's a hell of a lot easier to move on from QB busts today than it was 10 years ago.

2) I think the front office has learned from the QB searches from the early 2000s. As we all know, stumbling upon a QB like Romo or Brady in the late rounds is extremely rare. If you look around the league the guess off the top of my head is that every top 15 QB in the league, other than Brady and Romo, were drafted within the first 3 rounds of the draft. So when the time comes to seriously look for Romo's replacement I'm confident that we'll see a 1st or 2nd round pick used on the QB. I'm not saying we'll hit on that QB because finding a star QB is a difficult task and I think we'll probably have to deal with a bust/average pick along the way. But what I am saying is that they'll take the search a hell of a lot more seriously than they did in the past.

dallen

Senior Tech
We already have Dustin Vaughn anyway

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Do you guys realize how spoiled we are? It took us all of about 5 years from one franchise QB to another. Almost every franchise in the league would kill for that kind of turnaround time. It really wasn't that rough to be honest.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Do you guys realize how spoiled we are? It took us all of about 5 years from one franchise QB to another. Almost every franchise in the league would kill for that kind of turnaround time. It really wasn't that rough to be honest.
That was a long 5 years to sit through, though.

Honestly As long as we can at least get some somewhat steady play from a Ryan Fitzpatrick type I could deal with that for a few years until a real QB comes along.

However, those horrid Quincy-Hutchinson-Henson performances that we got are unacceptable.

dallen

Senior Tech
From Lebaron to Meredith to Staubach to White to Aikman to Romo. Yeah we've been pretty spoiled.

Top Bottom