Archer: Tony Romo misses timing with rookies

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo misses timing with rookies
May, 28, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – As the Cowboys kick off their second week of organized team activities Tuesday at Valley Ranch, it means another week without Tony Romo directing the offense.

Romo had a cyst removed from his back in April and could be held out until training camp as he recovers, although he hopes to take part in the June 11-13 minicamp.

It also means more work Romo will not get with the Cowboys’ top three picks: Travis Frederick, Gavin Escobar and Terrance Williams.

“I think sometimes timing,” Romo said when asked about what is missed in not working with the rookies. “But at the same time, I’m going to wear that out with them, too. I’m sure they’ll want to get out of here a little bit in June and July, but I’ll probably force the hand a little bit to keep them around and it’ll be a good thing for us. It’ll be just a bonus time-wise.”

Before the Cowboys drafted Escobar and Williams, Romo took a short look at the players on film per request of owner and general manager Jerry Jones.

While he was not taking part in the practice, Romo took the time to point out things to both last week.

“You talk to him about little things sometimes,” Romo said of Williams. “I think there are certain things Terrance does very well. I think there’s some things he’ll continue to work on and get better with it that can help him as a player and help us as a team. Terrance has a good head on his shoulders. He wants to work hard, so I think he’s going to continue to get better and better.”

On Escobar, Romo said, “He’s very fluid. I think he’s natural, so he’s got some good upside in that regard.”

The hometown proximities of Romo (Burlington, Wis.) and Frederick (Sharon, Wis.) could help the quarterback and center get together.

“I’ll make sure that when I’m in Wisconsin he goes back home,” Romo said.

Top Bottom